Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I Joined a Quilt Guild, And Met Quiltzilla!!!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    ok. going to be not PC.. politically correct. i do not know of any local quilt groups that are interested in kids.

Me, I love kids. Have kids and grandchildren. But. ran into my own experience, "you need your own Grandma to rock this baby !" While I brought my 3 month old to my first quilt experience. OK.. not even a 9 year old ! Kids and these bunch of ladies do not click.

Find a girl scout group. Joint that and talk the sewing badge woman into a quilt project !!

I feel your pain !!!

Ell

Blog Entries
    Iagree completely with mpspeedy I belong to 3 guilds and enjoy all of them but like everything else it does cost money one of our meetings is held in a church and we had to add liability insurance to protect the church and be able to have a place to meet we are in a sue happy world and most places need that protection plus utilities and othe costs it is a great place to relax
    and learn from other people

Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    Personally I say if their old enough to be quiet and willing to learn to quilt they should go to guild or sewing meeting,no one round here complains about children .They are Our Future Quilters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    our guild teaches 18/8th graders every year and I can vouch it can get hectic....I agree with both sides. If I had kids at home I would want to have an all adult day once in a while.

If your guild is registered, then here in Canada you will need a "Constitution" & when you join you can ask for a copy of it so you will know the "rules" . Neither of the guilds I've been in allow children. With all groups there are good & bad apples. But I LOVE the show and tell and I probably ask alot of weird questions, like is it appliquéd, but I don't mean it rudely, I'm genuinely curious. Our local quilt shops have projects for children & their moms to work on together, maybe you could find something like that near you? When my DD was young I found her a class called Kids Kan Sew..... it was great, although it wasn't something that we could attend together. I also have a group of 8 friends and we get together every 2 weeks in our homes & quilt, maybe you could ask around & see if there are other moms who would like to do something like that? Have fun on your quilting journey!

Blog Entries
    all I can get is dial-up network and miss so many videos "sigh"....I hear hughesnet is about $80/month WOW

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    all I can get is dial-up network and miss so many videos "sigh"....I hear hughesnet is about $80/month WOW
    Linda, you can get ATT DSL for as low as $24.95 a month. You might want to check into that.

Blog Entries
    we are too far out in the boonies :lol: I get dial-up right now for $7.95 and believe me I've tried them all to see what they can do. my DH is retired Ameritech and we don't even have cable down the road. I could go thru direct TV but thats one I haven't checked yet. Not real reliable I've heard.

Bees, that why I beat to my own drummer! I learned on my own, with incouragement from my local quilt shop chicks. Have come up with some cool stuff. If you are getting the kids involved, all the better! Went to a quilt show early on in my startup phase, was Inspired and scared at the same time! A Guild wanted me to come in , but I work, And some can be stuffy, not all, but I am still a free bird! Do what ya love , listen to the great advice that you can get here, and ENJOY< remember it is YOUR QUILT!

Quilt guilds are supposed to be fun and supportive - you found a rare one - and don't need to join them.

I am the Membership Director for our guild in MS and the 150+ members are all friendly and helpful. Our classes are only $5.00 and membership dues are $20.00 for the year. The members volunteer to teach and our classes are always full and very entertaining - and we do learn new techniques.

Keep looking for a friendly quilt group - you found one that is only in it for the money.

:)

Sorry you had a bad experience. I am self taught, and it is that kind of attitude you encountered that keeps me from joining a guild. I read and collect quilting books. Between my books and this board, I can pretty much learn anything I need to. I have NEVER asked a question on here that didn't get a response. I guess you guys ARE my guild! lol

I belong to a rarity. It is a quilt group that is free. Basically from 9:30 to 3:00 one day a week, you can come whenever and sew. I love it, and you might want to think about starting your own group.

Welcome from Roscoe, Illinois. I'm sorry about your experience, and the idea of starting your own guild is good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2