Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know nobody’s looking but... >

I know nobody’s looking but...

I know nobody’s looking but...

Old 08-11-2019, 08:20 AM

To me your stitches on the back are looking too flat (if you know what I mean). I would tighten the top tension a bit. I always use the same color thread top and bottom; I think because of the larger holes, you will always see the contrasting color even with balanced tension.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
To me your stitches on the back are looking too flat (if you know what I mean). I would tighten the top tension a bit. I always use the same color thread top and bottom; I think because of the larger holes, you will always see the contrasting color even with balanced tension.
Yes! I agree completely. I can try to play around with it but even at really high or really low tension, it doesn't seem to make much difference. I could be more forgiving, but I actually don't think they don't right. I mean, I'll live. But it would be nice to figure out what's going on!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Same here. I have a q'nique 21 that I have had no problems with. Used Superior thread on it for the first time. I managed to get through one quilt, but it was a chore. Started another, and more problems, so removed the superior thread. Fortunately, I hadn't gone far, so it was not too much work.

Back to Connecting Threads polyester. Doing fine.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

It sounds to me like you would benefit from getting a Towa guage for your bobbin case. If the tension is not improving when you adjust the top, then you need to get that little screwdriver out and adjust the bobbin, from your photo it looks too tight. Do not be afraid to adjust your bobbin tension. While I prefer to use similar colored threads in both top and bottom, sometimes I simply don't want that and am forced to use highly contrasting threads for the look I want on both front and back.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:24 PM

I have read all of the comments and I am forced to say that I do not think it is possible not to have the "winkies".I have adjusted the tension to where it is perfect on the sample. Yet when I go to actually quilt, the "winkies" appear. Solved the problem by always closely matching top and bottom thread. Hope you can have better success and I wish you luck.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I recently quilted something on my Brother PQ1500 and used two different serger threads (yes, serger threads - so far I am liking them) and I didn't have any pokies on either side and I forgot to lower the feed dogs and didn't do anything with the tension settings. maybe I just got lucky, but that machine is really nice.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:37 PM

The top always seems to be perfect no matter what. And unless the tension is set to really tight or really loose, I notice zero difference in the bobbin. In other words, there is no chance of a perfect tension. Maybe perfect is unattainable, I just had higher hopes for a machine of this quality. I don’t want to ruin the excitement of having this great machine, and if it has to be this way I’ll survive. But no matter what fiddling I do, nothing really changes.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I would also try different size/type needles and different combos of various threads. Maybe you will find one that works the best.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:15 PM

I think you are being too hard on yourself. There is definitely a learning curve with any change in machines of every type. Enjoy the experience of getting to know your machine. Do not, I repeat do not be afraid to adjust the tension, that is how you get to know your machine and are able to run it optimally. I notice you have dark thread in the top and light thread in the bobbin. Nearly every machine on the market has to be adjusted to be able to get a "perfect" stitch with this contrast, many never attain it. Most longarm quilters always match the top and bottom thread for this very reason. I would not get very much work done if I had to spend an hour adjusting tensions for contrasting thread in top and bottom for every quilt I quilt. All that being said I am sharing a link for Jamie Wallen's YT video on adjusting tension. It works for about every machine and many quilters have had lots of success using his method, I know I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Did I miss what machine you have? All machines are not the same. I have an APQS and I have to say that I have only had one instance of having tension trouble and I almost never use the same color thread or brand top and bottom, and I don't adjust tension for each quilt or thread. You should not see pokies. If there is nothing wrong with the machine, you should be able to adjust the top tension to not see black dots on white thread no matter how big the needle! Call the people you bought it from and see what can be done. You still have a warranty for a while yet; get satisfaction or you will never be happy with this machine. Even if it's operator error at least find out.
BTW, on my machine a slight turn does not affect the tension. It requires at least one full revolution to start changing. I think this machine is the only one I've ever heard requires this. I don't mean to imply that this is what you need to do. Although I have heard it said to tighten the tension too tight and adjust it down until tension is good, testing between each adjustment. If I ever had to do this and didn't reach good tension really soon, I would likely give up quilting. I don't have that kind of patience. My name is Jan, not Job. I hope you get this resolved favorably. There is nothing like seeing good tension using two colors.