Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know nobody’s looking but... >

I know nobody’s looking but...

I know nobody’s looking but...

Old 08-11-2019, 03:52 AM

I usually try to use the same color value thread on top and bottom. Plus I find though while quilting I may see the little dot of the thread from below, once I've washed the quilt, they seem to disappear. Most times I rarely have issues with tension. When I ordered my Innova I ordered their upgraded upper tension system and I've never looked back. These days I'm trying out different types of threads so worried I may have issues but the last quilt I used a 70wt polyester on top and a cotton 50wt in the bobbin and was pleasantly surprised I didn't have tension issue. Not one thread break either.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Little Dentist ... wow, you moved fast in getting your new machine! Nice!

I'm with you that not seeing those pokies is important, with the underside looking as good as the top.
The concept being, that the two threads meet right in the middle ... thus no pokies!

Sometimes running your fingernail over the pokies, (kind of like scratching the fabric),
can help bury them.

What I am surprised is that your dealer set up your machine in your home,
yet they did not check that it was stitching properly???
That does not bode well (in my mind).

To me, should have been part of the set up ...
... and they should make good on that with a return trip to ensure it is good from the get-go.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 AM

A midarm uses a larger needle than a domestic, so it makes a bigger hole as it sews through the quilt. From your picture, it looks to me like you can see the top thread, but it isn't actually poking through to the bottom. If that's the case, the holes will close up with time or washing, and the dots will disappear.

I know I found that a bit troubling the first time I longarmed, but that's how my instructor explained it, and she was right. This happens especially if your fabric is lighter or more loosely woven. Try quilting a little sample, throwing it in the wash, and seeing if the problem persists.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM

I agree that doesn't look how I would want.

Are you using the same type of thread top and bottom? With my friends long arm we got much better results with prewound bobbins of a different thread weight (lighter) than we used on top. We never could get her machine to wind a decent bobbin either while running or not.

I have a vintage Pfaff that is my go-to machine for costuming and fancy threads/fabrics but I could never get it to do a decent quilt stitch. Oh the piecing was find but no, couldn't get the stitches to meet in the middle despite hours/weeks/months of fiddling.

But yes, a lot of that does get sucked in during the wash/dry process. I'd try the do a sample and wash it and see how it looks. Also try a couple of different battings with your settings the same and see how they react.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Singer Quantum and it doesn't matter if I use black thread on top and white thread in bobbin. You can't see any pokies at all. It sews a perfect straight stitch. My other machines I have, a Bernina, Brother, other vintage Singers (includig Featherweight) and Janome do not have this perfect stitch. I guess what I'm saying is if Singer got it right with one model of machine why can't the 'best' machines for quilting get it right too.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:42 AM

Thanks, ladies. They did not actually check the bobbin stitch when they set it up and I was obviously too excited to check. 👎🏻 I tried quilting on a giant practice sandwich with double batting and it was the exact same thing. I will wash the tiny practice quilt but I’m willing to bet the dealer isn’t going to be of much help. This was the floor model...but I will def ask. You know when you get a slight sinking feeling...it’s there.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:51 AM

You will work this out! As I suggested, try a different weight bobbin thread.

Also, many times floor models are set up with a test sandwich... did they send that with the machine and does it look like yours?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
You will work this out! As I suggested, try a different weight bobbin thread.

Also, many times floor models are set up with a test sandwich... did they send that with the machine and does it look like yours?
Lol I hope so! They did. I have it but there’s white in the upper and lower thread for most of it. I can try another weight in the bobbin but I think it’s standard. Although now I’m not sure what they used...
Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 AM

It's not a bad stitch, but not the best stitch. I always go back to the roots of machine sewing. If there is a problem on the bottom, then it's the top thread tension that needs to be adjusted. If the problem is on the top, then the bottom is off....most often due to poor winding of the thread. I am one of the ones that do not adjust my bobbin tension. I just am not that good. Try adding a bit more tension to the top until you get the stitch you want. If that's not possible, then use the same color top and bottom and it won't be nearly as visible.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:06 AM

I've found with my LA - if I have the bottom tension set correctly (and I use a gauge) and it seems that no matter how tight I put the top tension it's still showing on the bottom - -I have my quilt too tight on the frame and need to loosen it a click or two.

I've learned to run my finger along the bottom, and if I feel the top thread, then I need to adjust. I learned from watch videos that the top thread will sink down just a hair when the quilt is off the frame.

The main thing you want to avoid is having the thread laying on one side or the other. If it's like this, one break and you can pull the thread right out of the loops. As long as there is some indent on both the top and the bottom it's not so bad.

I started paying a lot of attention to other quilts done on LA by demonstrators, and have found most of them have "OK" tension, and have seen plenty of display items that have tension I wouldn't consider "acceptable" so I've gotten a lot more forgiving and no longer try to get the tension as perfect as I get it on my regular sewing machines.