Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I miss my quilting!!!! :(

Blog Entries
    One thing, I find, is a keep a bag of quilting mag, in my car, and
    when I go somewhere, I can bring them and look at them. It
    helps me quilt at least in my head.

When I was working ft I would set up my sewing into 15 min. jobs. That way I could sew and then get to work on time. I was amazed at what could be done.

I teach high school, too, and also regret that I don't have more time for sewing and quilting. Some nights I'm too tired to do more than hang out in my sewing room, petting fabric and dreaming about future projects. I do try to do a little something everyday and more on the weekends. I agree with other posters that it will get better after you settle into a routine!

I get up a half hour early to quilt may not seem like much but just enough to ground you for the day I also try to leave the project ready to run through the machine.

Hope you can get in a routine soon. I am retired from teaching, but have a part time job at my church and quilt with the ladies there 2 days a week. Sewing at home is still hard to do.

I guess I am in sorta the same position... only I am retired and use to have a lot of time on my hands but then came our first grandchild..> :) Need I say more? I just love him to pieces and I wouldn't give up a minute of the time I spend with him... I baby sit almost everyday.. :) but I sure miss all the time I use to have before he entered my life... :) The way I look at it though.. he brings just as much joy to my life as quilting does and I am going to just let all the rest of my free time sneak in on my so I can quilt... Torn between two loves.... but loving every minute of it.. :)

I too am a fulltime teacher I teach in a Christian School where everyone from fifth grade and up are on the same room. I do all subjects it is great fun But when I first started it was hard to find me time. Now I insist on an hour everyday for quilting and as much time as possible during the weekend. It is my destressing time. Make sure you get some time everyday for you just for your sanity. Enjoy your students. I was told today I have five new students coming next week. LOL

I teach to. I find that I take one day a month, to quilt. Right know I take my duaghter to a BOM on one Saturday a month. When I schdule it- I find time for it.

I know EXACTLY how you feel! It seems like we teachers are having more and more placed on our plates, and nothing is taken off. I've been working until 5:00 or 6:00 at school, and then bringing an armful of papers home to grade. And you'd think I'd have the job figured out by now - this is my 32nd year teaching! I love my summers.

I agree with trying to find time to quilt - I teach at nursing students & feel like I have to sandwich in my quilting along with everything else.

Another teacher here - 6/7/8 special needs. This year isn't as stressful as last year, but it's still something else. Several years ago i made myself a promise to not bring stuff home - i put in some pretty long days, but stuff isn't coming home as much...

eta: i get up early in the morning to get my quilting in..

Been there and empathize with you. Can you make a date with your sewing machine for a chunk of time on a Sat. or Sun. a couple times a month?

When I taught I belonged to a group that meet every other Wed. night at the local high school. How about setting up a quilter's group of 1 - you can establish a night during the week for your meeting & go off to your sewing space from 6:30-8:30.

Remember to make time for yourself or you'll get lost in the demands of your job.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I've taught full time high school, now subbing HS, and will sub full time HS for a teacher on maternity leave starting in Jan. Teachers have to slice precious little wedges of time for themselves. Here's one way -- teach your family to love leftovers, and cook huge meals that can be recycled/remodeled more than once. Take some of your precut pieces with you to school and pin them together on your lunch break, so they are ready to go when you do get to sit down at your sewing machine. Share them with your students -- they may love to design intricate pieced designs showing their math skills. Try to learn to love hand piecing and carry a baggie with the pieces and materials for a block along with you everywhere. It's amazing how they add up, and you are allowed to machine piece hand sewn blocks together -- quilt police be damned.

Blog Entries
    I, too, understand your dilemma... I taught HS science for 30 years, retired, went back to school to become a PTA and am now back to work! I didn't touch fabric for two years... That's the bad news. The good news is, like so many others have shared, you will find a routine, and while you probably won't get to spend as much time quilting as you would like, you WILL get to sew.
    The other important thing to remember is that your work with students is SO IMPORTANT!! To have someone in their life who cares for them, as you clearly do, is powerful! Remember, you are impacting lives in ways you may never realize... every moment with them counts...
    I will remember you in my prayers...

Like everyone else, I think you have set a routine including quilting time. But, with the extra money, you might be able to have your quilts LA quilted, buy books, extra thread, notions, etc. Once the in the fall and once in the spring (in this area) there are Shop Hops. Hopefully, you will be able to go on one. They are fun!! but seems as though I'm buying from each store, also!!

Thanks for taking the time to TEACH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg
    Keep your machine set up all the time and steal 5-10 minutes every day. When you need a break from grading grab a few minutes.
    When you throw something in the oven grab a few minutes. You may want to add a timer to your sewing room, just in case you get too involved. You deserve to have time for yourself and your quilting. You need not give up something you love to do. Yes, I know that 5-10 minutes doesn't sound like much and the project could last forever...but at least it will get you some you time and someday a new quilt to love.
    Even though retired, it seems that other things get in the way, so when I want to quilt, I say ok, I am going to sew for 15, min up to an hour, you can get a lot done if you leave the stuff set up and can just sit down to sew. It does mean however, that your workspace has to be kept tidy or it won't work as you will spend all your time looking for stuff!

Me again i dont know but at Christian School where I teach I also do the Home Ec and Art classes. So for the Home Ec class we make Quilts to give away at Christmas and Easter so I get quilying in that way also. Maybe you could do that with some of your students. It is amazing how many students want to learn how to quilt.

What quilt as u go method do u use? Wrote out qayg for any beginners. After much reasearch I have seen the
    "Cotton Theory" method but like this teacher I haven't had time yet to cut/sew. Have some blocks finished and not sure what is best method.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Try the quilt as you go method because you can use time away from sewing room/supplies to quilt. I love it. I get all but hand sewing done and carry around that so when I am sitting waiting on appointments, traveling, dinner to cook, laundry to dry or what ever- I can sew! I'n surprised by how fast it goes.

This week read about managing time in AAA mag. The "PICKLE JAR Theory" is the best I ever heard. Going to use it.
    Can see on google I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mornigstar
    What quilt as u go method do u use? Wrote out qayg for any beginners. After much reasearch I have seen the
    "Cotton Theory" method but like this teacher I haven't had time yet to cut/sew. Have some blocks finished and not sure what is best method.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Try the quilt as you go method because you can use time away from sewing room/supplies to quilt. I love it. I get all but hand sewing done and carry around that so when I am sitting waiting on appointments, traveling, dinner to cook, laundry to dry or what ever- I can sew! I'n surprised by how fast it goes.
    I bought the book and dvd for cotton theory quilting 1 and after reading how it was put together decided I didnt want all the bordering effect that it had so I have never used it however it is reversible so might be good for placemats or table toppers. I found an excellent book by Beth Donaldson "Block by Block" with several quilts and what I consider to be clear directions for QAYG, I am currently following those to make a quilt, it does require sashing, but I think it could be done with out by studying her method. However there is also a website for Acorn Hill Quilts with directions from Rhonda Dohna which you should take a look at, as it does not use sashing, I plan to try that one next. :-D

Thank you so very much as I have been in a quandry over
    how to QAYG on these blocks as I didn't start it.
    Happy to look at differnt methods and will try to buy books
    within a few days. will go online to order but can not do today.

Hold on, Christmas vacation (or winter break) is on its way....quilt all night long if you want!

I too had a job that "fell into my lap" and the money was too hard to ignore. I was MISERABLE. I'm not a teacher -licensed for home and auto insurance. I went from a small, peaceful office 10 min from home to a "pod person" (cubicle) in a busy nationwide insurance agency with a 30 min. commute with horrible traffic and drama with office politics. I hated every minute and lasted a year. Thankfully, DH and I were able to retire. Whoever invented "cubicles" should be shot at sunrise. Don't hesitate to take a step away from the madness if you can. Quality of life as opposed to quantity has a lot to offer.

Know what you mean, am a rtired high school teacher.

As a full-time online instructor, I rarely accomplish all I want to do - a true "V-8" challenged quilter. Never balanced. SMALL, SIMPLE, and IN THE MOMENT projects. And then most of those short periods of "FREE TIME" is reading quilting blogs, magazines, loving the ART from a distance and that helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast