Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I need help with my new "stash closet"!

I love your space. Can I ask where you got the dividers between some of your stacks of beautiful fabric?

Power Poster
    I like the open look so long as you protect the fabric from light. Dust can always be shaken off. Looks great and it is great to look at all your fabric although I see some spaces that could use more fabric. :P

The doors are amazingly useful - flannel on one side and the other should have bars for folded quilts - I use mine all the time - also think about a magnet board on one door - I use my metal outside door for magnets/reminders, etc. - I made another door into a pinup board by adding a layer of celotex but a friend did hers with foam core. I think doors offer a lot of extended use. I have seen another door used with a large pocket type holder (sort of a shoe holder) and the quilter used it for all the tools in her small room. It made a handy and useful difference. The pocket thinghad clips that went over the door so as not to mar the wood. Have fun!

i would leave it open so you can glance at your stash

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Even ambient light can fade fabrics. I'd opt for the sliding doors and push them out of sight when I'm in there, or change to folding doors with louvers (for air circulation), or hang some curtains with tiebacks on a springrod. I see by the avatars so many of us have kitties, and a door will help keep the kitties and/or dust kitties off the fabric.

I left the doors off mine and then had hubby install some hardware on frame of closet opening so I could use the rod used to hang clothes , then I bought white flannel and made a rod pocket curtain,which I use as my design wall.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    Hello, friends and fellow quilters. My DH has just finished turning the closet in my sewing room (our empty nester's second bedroom) into a fabric stash for me. I love it, but the big dilemma is, do I have him put the solid wood sliding closet doors back on, or not. The window in the room is on the opposite side of the room, and faces direct west, so I always make sure to have the blinds drawn in the afternoon or the sun blazes in.

Fading, dust, etc. are my concerns, but I love the openness, and the inspiration looking at all my fabrics gives me.

What do you think?
    My sewing room closet faces west too and while fading was a concern, the bigger concern for me was how hot it would get with the sun blaring in, even with the blinds drawn and the AC on. Fortunately, I had a large piece of black velvet which I tacked up over the window (I have natural light flourescent fixtures in my sewing room, thanks to the DH) Thanks to that velvet, I can sew in there all day every day if I "sew" desire. The only drawback is that I lose track of what time of day it is!

I love Mattee's idea of leaving it open for a wee while to see what you think first. If you didn't like it that way, I would use curtains with tie backs so you could see your collection of gorgeous materials when you wanted to. This uses less space than open doors. :)

Dee
    I'd keep them open.

Your DH is a dear, for sure!

Brainstorming ideas:

Half-way up louver doors, stained to match beautiful molding.
    They'll fold back to give easy access to fabric, when closed they'll protect your fabric while letting it breathe.
    HOWEVER, sewing rooms are dust/lint havens and the doors will show a lot of dust on the louver parts.

The idea of a curtain/drape will protect, yet let your fabric breathe. Two panels so you can draw each panel to the side. What kind of a rod to use will have to be researched.

Blog Entries
    I would leave it open, you're protecting your fabric by keeping the blinds drawn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love it. God bless.

Glass doors with UV glass or perspex? If DH is handy, he could cut the existing doors and use them as a frame. Or you could go colonial style, with divided windows?
    My husband, much as I love him, is a chocolate teapot, so I am a little envious!

I would go for a design wall. It could be hidden behind a plinth/ shelf above your door and if you later decide to replace the original doors hey you still have the design wall.
    Margaret

It is too pretty to cover up. I would leave the doors off. I don't have doors on mine.

I have doors on mine that swing like regular doors only they have a magnetic catch and don't latch. I hang over the door hangers on the outside and made a design wall of flannel hung on a shower rod so I can roll it up and put it away. Works great.

Blog Entries
    You have it so well organized I would opt for pretty tie back curtains, you could even make them real quick w/ a twin sheet.

Where did he get the shelves? My hubby is going to remake my shelves in my studio closet, and i like yours. Any helpful hints would be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    An easy way to see if you like the curtain Idea is to go to your local big box and get a tension shower curtain rod, and a cheap shower curtain at the local dollar store. Taa Daa! now you can see if a curtain works for you, and you've only spent $10! I would try a clear one, to see through, and to keep dust out. You would still see your beautiful stash, but no dust bunnies!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I would piece curtains that I could tie back when I wanted. Or you could always use the doors and cover them with flannel so that you'd have a design wall. If you choose that, run strips of velcro down each side of your doors, wash and put velcro down each side of your flannel. That way if it should get soiled you can take it off and wash it. If you put the velcro on the back side and wrap the flannel around when you take it off you wouldn't see the velcro strips.
    I love both of those ideas. Wish I had room for a design wall

I kept my doors off also...it makes looking for something sooooo much easier!

Blog Entries
    I think making a curtain of material or maybe even heavy plastic would be an idea. Tie backs when needing to see what you are looking for.. I think you have a great close and arranged so nicely too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    Hello, friends and fellow quilters. My DH has just finished turning the closet in my sewing room (our empty nester's second bedroom) into a fabric stash for me. I love it, but the big dilemma is, do I have him put the solid wood sliding closet doors back on, or not. The window in the room is on the opposite side of the room, and faces direct west, so I always make sure to have the blinds drawn in the afternoon or the sun blazes in.

Fading, dust, etc. are my concerns, but I love the openness, and the inspiration looking at all my fabrics gives me.

What do you think?
    I am so glad that you posted this for us to see. I have the very same closet in my sewing room. I have been trying to tell my DH that I want this done to my closet. He could not understand what I was wanting. I showed this pic to him. Now he understands what I want to do. I would leave the doors off and leave it open.easier to get to and makes the room look bigger.

Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, I thought my fabs were safe across the room from a window, in a closet in hanging shoe/sweater bags and with the doors left off. When I packed up to leave, I noticed many of my fabrics had faded bits where the outside folds were. This room didn't even get morning or evening sun-and no direct sun. It was simply the light that caused the damage. Maye if I regularly unfolded and re-folded them I could have avoided it, but now I have lots of pieces with faded stripes thru them! I would simply put tie-backs on, or maybe add the door with a design wall on one side and make it so it slides sideways so you can have more flexibility with it.

I have my fabric in cupboards with doors on and they still fade a little so if you were to put some thing dark over the windows or board them up maybe it will prevent fading. It doesn't matter what kind of light it is, they will fade if your lights are on all the time or natural light too.You will have to re-fold your fabrics every so often to help them from fading in the one place. It is finally your decision so weigh up the pros and cons then you decide which is the best for you. Unfortunately dust gets in no matter which way you go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast