Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help with my new "stash closet"!

I would do curtains or blinds. If you like looking at your fabric, leave it out in the open. It just means you'll have to use if faster so not so much light and dust will hit it!

I would leave the door off. It just looks really good that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JillianMarie
    I think it looks great!! I am having a similar dilema....bi-fold doors left on, or remove them, more floor space without, I have a very tight space! So I am not much help for you. Sorry!
    I do have a question for you...what are you using as the metal dividers? And where did you get them?
    I got them at Lee Valley.
    Lee Valley is an absolutely awesome mail order company here in Canada. Check out the racks at http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...?p=40105&cat=3,43648,50655&ap=1

The website for Lee Valley is http://www.leevalley.com/en/home.aspx and they are called shelf dividers, and come in two sizes. I saw them in a Canadian magazine, Chatelaine, and they suggested using them for linen closets. The light went on in my brain! My DH was planning to build a much more complex divider, but with these, all he had to do was drill holes.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that my DH has REALLY improved my overhead lighting, and so it is quite easy to sew without opening the blind. I usually sew in the afternoon (and I would have to have the blind closed anyway because of the direct sun), or the evening (and then I can open the blind, open the window, and listen to the crickets!

Blog Entries
    I would install bifold doors to both protect the fabric and insure privacy. Some people become jealous when they see another's stash and tongues begin to wag. Sad, but true :-(

I would put the doors back on to protect the fabric...you can always open them for insp.
    K

Blog Entries
    You have a beautiful stash...so please protect it. Sun will not only fade your fabric, along with dust, it will rot your fabric. Sewing rooms tend to be abit dusty (or mine is LOL) and it will lay on the fabric. Put the doors back on and place over the door hangers on each one and then you can hang your rulers or blocks from ongoing projects.

I think I would just leave the doors off. Easy access.
    As long as the sun isn't a problem for fading. :thumbup:

I would leave them off. I love the look.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    Quote Originally Posted by JillianMarie
    I think it looks great!! I am having a similar dilema....bi-fold doors left on, or remove them, more floor space without, I have a very tight space! So I am not much help for you. Sorry!
    I do have a question for you...what are you using as the metal dividers? And where did you get them?
    I got them at Lee Valley.
    Lee Valley is an absolutely awesome mail order company here in Canada. Check out the racks at http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...?p=40105&cat=3,43648,50655&ap=1

Thank you! I will be checking out the web sight!

Thank you! I will be checking out the web sight!

The website for Lee Valley is http://www.leevalley.com/en/home.aspx and they are called shelf dividers, and come in two sizes. I saw them in a Canadian magazine, Chatelaine, and they suggested using them for linen closets. The light went on in my brain! My DH was planning to build a much more complex divider, but with these, all he had to do was drill holes.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that my DH has REALLY improved my overhead lighting, and so it is quite easy to sew without opening the blind. I usually sew in the afternoon (and I would have to have the blind closed anyway because of the direct sun), or the evening (and then I can open the blind, open the window, and listen to the crickets!

Blog Entries
    Well ladies (I think all the responders were female!?!), I really appreciate all your input. Although there is a part of me that just wants to leave the doors off, I asked DH to put them back on today. It's not that hard a thing to put them on, or take them off, so now that I've had a few days with the novelty of having them off, I think I will succumb to practicality (dust control, and fading control).

This is the rest of my sewing room. The best part is that we put the hardwood down 30 years ago when we bought the house, in our toddlers' bedrooms, in case they developed allergies. We're still reaping the benefits with next to no upkeep. Swiffers are great for threads, fabric scraps and dust balls!
    Name:  Attachment-102209.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  44.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the sewing room. I just think you need more stash to fill up that closet. LOL

Very nice

I like the idea of the doors as a design wall. I agree that it's sensory overload with the doors off. Plus, if you're like most of us, they will begin to get into a bit of disarray as you get busier in the midst of projects!

I can't get past looking at your beautiful "stash". You lucky thing you.

Blog Entries
    I vote NO DOORS! There've been good suggestions about the sun thing...I also vote that you need some more fabric! You have much too much lovely space...isn't the rule that our fabric stash's are ooozing out the seams or something? LOL What a nice DH!

Is there some way that you can make the "door" your design wall? Maybe a rollup blind-type of thing that is made of flannel or whatever. That way you'd have a design wall and not use up other wall space. I'm just thinking out loud........

I would worry more about dust than the sun. You can pull the blinds to keep the sun off your pretties, but it's hard to keep the dust off, and how are you going to dust them? I don't know about you, but my sewing room is a dusty, linty place.

My personal opional is to leave it open, but I like to see what I have when I am looking for something to work with in stead of having to uncover it. Would you be inclined to stack stuff in front of the door if it was up?

Blog Entries
    Sliding doors NO!
    Bi-fold doors YES!
    then you can keep them entirely open to see your inspirational stash and have much more easy access to the shelves.
    When company comes or the sun streams in, just close them!!!
    Oh, I'd also get the louvered or part (top) louvered ones to allow air flow (reduces chances of mildew).
    Dust happens. That is why they invented washing machines and all kinds of soaps.
    Enjoy your stash and give that DH of yours my congrats on a fine job! What a guy and what a lucky woman!

I had my entire stash on open shelving in my sewing room.
    I was looking for some fabric in my stash and noticed how dirty the fabric was!!! Some of the folds had faded from the sun (two windows in the room. So, if it was me I would definitely put something on the front. It you don't want the doors back, maybe you could cover it with a tension rod with a curtain.

what do i think???? hummmmmm I think it's wonderful as is. and i think i would like your dh to build one for me

Blog Entries
    Keep it open and sew very fast. This way you can "rotate the stock" and everything will stay clean and fresh!

Your stash is disgustingly neat!! I would not dare show a picture of mine- looks like the devil had a fit in there.

My stash closet is about that size, and if I had doors on it it would look a lot worse than it already does. Tidy is not my middle name. I ruler fold and stack, and turn around and its back to messy. Love your closet though, and the design wall idea is a good one if you don't have a wall you can dedicate

I would use the doors; when I wanted inspiration I would open the doors but have the choice to close them. I often forget those little details like closing the blinds when I am overloaded with other tasks, distractions, etc. The closet doors would be easier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast