Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help with my ScanNCut >

I need help with my ScanNCut

I need help with my ScanNCut

Old 09-21-2015, 09:04 PM

Default I need help with my ScanNCut

I purchased my ScanNCut primarily for applique using fusibles. I am using my regular mat with the fusible ironed to the fabric touching the mat. I have used Steam a Seam lite and regular and Wonder Under. I am having trouble -after cutting when I remove my applique pieces sometimes the fusible sticks to the fabric and sometimes to the mat.

Yesterday the wonder under stuck to one fabric and stuck to the mat on a different fabric. Could it be the finish on the fabric?

I spent an hour today cleaning the fusible off of my mat!!! Not fun.

if you are successful, please tell me what the secret is. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 PM

From what you say, the fusible is not sticking to your fabric? It could be the finish, or have you possibly applied it back to front? I did this with the steam a seam and wondered why I had problems, good luck I hope you get it sorted.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:30 AM

Place the fabric side down on your mat with fusible on top facing you - this should eliminate your issues in the future. Also, check Brother's website for scan n cut tutorials plus youtube offers many video tips. You will love your machine once you master the procedures.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

The fusible doesn't like unwashed fabric or starched fabric.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I never like wonder under, I use only Heat n Bond lite. Have your read your manual to see if it will cut thru the thickness of fusible??
Old 09-22-2015, 04:08 AM

I hope you figure it out because I'm considering the purchase, with all fusible you should wash and iron no starch your fabric first.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:25 AM

I've had trouble with the paper side of the fusible sticking to the mat too. I use the little spatula that came with the Scan N Cut to get it off. I asked the girl that demo'd the machine about putting the fabric side on the mat and she said no but I think I may try it. I use unscented baby wipes to clean my mat. I watched a video on youtube on how to get your mat sticky again after several cleanings...
Old 09-25-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks for your responses. I'm working with precut fabric so I can't prewash it but I will try steaming the pieces to remove the finish.

This machine is great when it works.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I purchased my ScanNCut primarily for applique using fusibles. I am using my regular mat with the fusible ironed to the fabric touching the mat. I have used Steam a Seam lite and regular and Wonder Under. I am having trouble -after cutting when I remove my applique pieces sometimes the fusible sticks to the fabric and sometimes to the mat.

Yesterday the wonder under stuck to one fabric and stuck to the mat on a different fabric. Could it be the finish on the fabric?

I spent an hour today cleaning the fusible off of my mat!!! Not fun.

if you are successful, please tell me what the secret is. Thanks in advance.
Can you tell me how you managed to get the Steam A Seam off the mat? I did the very same thing. Thanks! I did try the baby wipes.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
Can you tell me how you managed to get the Steam A Seam off the mat? I did the very same thing. Thanks! I did try the baby wipes.
I used the wet ones in the red package. I put one down on a section to "soak" for a minute. Then I used the spatula to scrape it off. I worked on one quadrant at a time.

Mind you, this was on the regular mat, not the extra sticky fabric mat.