Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need an idea for quilts for twin boys

I need an idea for quilts for twin boys

I want to make a quilt for two little boys who are twins. Should I make them the same because they are twins or different from each other. What would you do? I am also open to ideas what kind of quilt to make for them. The boys will be two this coming July and will be going to a big boy toddler bed soon. Their mom just had a little girl last week.

Thanks you all for your help friends.

Blog Entries
    scottie dogs for one and maybe giraffes or elephants for the other would be cute.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

For twin boys I made the Yellow Brick Road pattern and used different coloured borders.

When my son was little and had bunk beds, I started to collect western fabrics for Cowboy Boot blocks. Each of the tops had about half of the same boots and half different. Unfortunately, I didn't get the fabrics collected in time nor the tops pieced until long after the bunk beds had gone. But now I'm expecting a grandbaby so the tops have been put back in the "yeah, I need to quilt those down" list. I have the backs and binding and everything...

I started with the pattern in Quilter's Newsletter decades ago, but ended up drafting my own. It's a bit odd, slightly rectangular rather than square, but I got the boot I was happiest with that way. Be happy to provide you with that if it sounds good to you.

Let's see if I can post a picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    For grandkids I did different patterns, same fabrics.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

For my nephews (2 yrs apart in age) I went the "same but different" route. I keyed on their favorite colors (red vs blue), used some prints the same in both, and some prints different. I loved that I found the "flames" in red and blue as well. The quilts are a disappearing nine patch but because I used so many different prints it came out quirky. But I loved them and call them Chaos Contained. I figured it was appropriate for 2 pre-teens.

Name:  ColinsQuilt.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  67.9 KBName:  DPsQuilt.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  67.1 KB

Power Poster
    With twins, I would do I Spy squares and put red borders on one and green borders on the other.

I agree with jojk, "same but different." Although with 2-year-old twins, they will be sharing all the time anyway.

I think the Warm Wishes pattern would look nice with the same theme fabric in the large areas and then different sashing fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I think the Warm Wishes pattern would look nice with the same theme fabric in the large areas and then different sashing fabrics.
    I have not heard of Warm Wishes patterns before.

With the age they are, the I Spy quilts would be fantastic.
    Yes, same but different .... different border/sashings.
    I would probably use the same fabrics, and just reverse the placement of them within the quilts.

I might go a step further and use different I Spy fabrics for each quilt.
    Same themes? or two different themes? Would depend on what fabrics I had to work with.

That way they would have two totally different but the same quilts ....
    ..... and two different I Spy games to enjoy as they grow together.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    For twin boys I made the Yellow Brick Road pattern and used different coloured borders.
    agree with this

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Warm Wishes is a Project Linus pattern, which means it is free. Available here:

https://www.quiltingcompany.com/free...y-warm-wishes/
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I would go totally different on each one. Two reasons 1) I hate doing the same thing over again bores me to tears, 2) from the boys view point it has to be frustrating to always be "lumped together", I think they would find it nice to have something entirely their own not like their brother's.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

My twin nephews (14 years old) still love matchy stuff....yet, my BFF's adult twin boys dislike it....at 2 years old, shouldn't matter much. They are likely sharing a room so maybe mom would like their beds to match decor? Maybe the Zig Zag Zoom pattern would be fun to do and you can pick a specific thing each likes for focal fabrics and colors? This pattern is free, super easy, and quick. Just google...pattern will pop up.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

When they were babies I used the "Same fabric, different pattern" approach. When they moved to big boy beds I used the "Same pattern, different colors" approach. Both worked well.

Blog Entries
    Little boys have love dinosaurs since the Mesozoic era. You can never go wrong with any quilt made out of such fabric or designs.

Those boots are too, too cute!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

I have grands that are triplets and they got the same but different quilts. Besure the colors are different and maybe even slightly other differences. They will know which one is theirs and will take pride and ownership in the quilt.
    Anna Quilts

With my nieces, I went the same but different route. Even for their wedding quilts, they were scrappy and black but the patterns were different.

For twins I might use the same fabrics but different patterns. You really could do just about anything but I wouldn't make them identical. My reason is I get bored doing the same thing twice but also they would be more personal to each child.

I made quilts for my twin great-nephews for their 1st birthday last year. In fact, these were my very first quilts. I, too, used Yellow Brick Road pattern because it was simple, and I knew I was doing two. My niece and her husband are both graduates of University of Michigan so I used a variety of UM prints and Detroit teams (Tigers, Pistons, Lions, and Red Wings) and bordered one in navy and the other in the yellow so as they would be a little distinction. My backing was a print of sports balls. I hope this helps.
    Name:  IMG_0288.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  901.3 KBName:  IMG_0290.jpg
Size:  972.1 KBName:  IMG_0289.jpg
Size:  1.15 MBName:  IMG_0293.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  950.9 KB
    Last edited by Little Lulu; 03-30-2019 at 05:05 AM.

My massage gal had her 1st baby boy and we made this quilt for her in aqua and yellow. She loved it so much she wanted the same pattern made for when she had her twin boys a couple years later using the same aqua but wanted one with green added and the other one made with orange. Then she thought how would she decide which one to give to which boy so she asked if I could just include both colors with the aqua. I thought I'd make up a block and see how they looked. Took it to her and she said.....YES. So both boys got the same quilt and there's no fuss from either one of them. Here are the quilts I made for the 3 boys. For all 3 quilts I used the cut-offs from the blocks to add to the borders and then again for the backside. Love when I can use up all the scraps and cut-offs on a quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

a coworker that I loved had twin boys so I did a Batman quilt and a Superman quilt. She loved them and the boys used them until they fell apart. Last year a dear friend had twin girls and I did a Wonder Woman quilt and a Supergirl quilt. so much fun!

Blog Entries
    Make the same quilt just put there names on them that is if the mother dresses them the same.
    If she doesn't make them different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast