Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new iron

Blog Entries
    I now buy the cheapest I can find. For me it heats up & presses just as well and my Rowenta did.

I've just ordered a Rowenta from JoAnn's. It was on sale and it had good reviews. It's not quite a full size one but also not a mini-one. Guess you would say medium sized. As I recall the retail price was $79 and got it for $30 something...like maybe $39...can' remember exact amount.

I have been using the Rowenta travel iron for years. I am actually on my second one as I wore the other one out. I bought it at JoAnn's with a coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Savers is a great place to buy irons and they have a testing station for electronics.
    I bought a Rowenta for $5.50
    Where is Savers? Do they sell online?

I like my purple and white Proctor Silex. It's wasn't too expensive, shuts off if I don't use it for about 10 minutes, reheats very quickly again, is lightweight.

Blog Entries
    I have given up on Rowentas. I bit the bullet andinvested in a Reliable Velocity 100. I love that it has a built in steam generator and the auto shut off can be bypassed. $139.00

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    I but the cheapo from Walmart - I can't even break them - I have the same one year after year. I finally bought a new one because mine was so old - another cheapo and no problems at all.
    That's where I buy mine too. I don't use steam only starch. My cheapo iron is still going strong :D

Blog Entries
    Posted on June 29th that I purchased a Steam generator for $44.00 through Heartland America.com. It is an overstock magazine. No Shipping charge. So far I love it.
    It is a Euroflex, made in Italy. Hope you take a look. For the price, you can't beat it, considering others cost up to $200.. It smooths fabric very nice and can be use as a dry or steam iron. Hope this helps.
    peace

EDIT: I also own a Reliabe and love it to. I gave up on rowentas also.

I also have a "Petite Press" by Prym that works pretty well.

Savers is a chain of thrift stores that works in concert with various organizations. There are a couple here in Las Vegas. I imagine they have a website.

Phillips Azure.It has an anti calc button to clean the gunk out.

Banned
    I just bought a Panasonic 360° Freestyle™ Cordless Iron
    and LOVE it!! No more cords tagling up in my quilt tops!

I like my $25 Sunbeam that I bought at WalMart. I had a Rowenta and hated it...it leaked like a sieve for absolutely no reason---usually all over whatever I had on the ironing board. My sunbeam is a dream and never gives me a moment's trouble!

I have stopped buying small appliances at Wallyworld. I now buy all small electric appliances at my local Ace Hdw.
    It is worth the extra 5 or 10 to get the real deal and I have to drive 26 miles to the nearest Wally world anyway.

Blog Entries
    I have a new Shark and am totally loving it. My Rowenta keep smelling like something was burning and leaked a lot. The shark heats up fast, flashes if it is left plugged in and has easy controls for heat and steam. It gives you a lot of choices.
    It does turn off a little to fast. But,it really does heat back up in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Have been using my Rowenta now for 6 six years, and LOVE it. However, I've read negative comments about them on this board.
    I agree with this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    .. I do not put water in my irons any more- i keep a spray bottle of water on the end of the ironing board- if i need a bit of steam i simply spritz with the bottle- ...
    Me too. That's how I learned how to iron. I never put water in my iron and it's lasting forever. I got it (Black and Decker) as a gift in 1968.

I had a good iron that I liked, can't remember what brand, but it had a retractable cord that would "whap" me every time as it recoiled. I gave it to my youngest daughter when my oldest daughter gave me a new Rowenta. She has since had problems with her Rowenta spitting. She always used tap water until she got this new one, now uses only distilled water. It spits. I read the instructions on the new one she got me, it said to use half and half, half tap, half distilled. I have used it now for two years and no problems, (fingers crossed). So far so good. I do not like the auto-turn off, but it does recover steam quickly, so guess it is doing well.

I had a Rowenta for the past 6 years till the cord entry into the iron weakened to where I saw a couple of sparks. End of that iron! I read on this board about so many unhappy Rowenta owners & decided to go with a cheaper brand. First, I got a B&D but the fabric dial was hard to access and very hard to move. I returned it & got another one that didn't heat up adequately. Returned it for a Sunbeam. I like this one though it's style takes a little getting used to.
    All things considered, the Rowenta was really good whIle it lasted & became my standard for comparison.

I had a Rowenta, and within a year this $130 was leaking! I bought the yellow (as seen on Fons and Porter show) Oliso iron and LOVE it! It stays on for 30 min. and has a 12' cord. NOT CHEAP, however. I paid $180 so told my hubby it was his anniv. present to me. If some read this and do not know the fabulous rise and auto lower feature of this iron, go look on their web site.

I have had a Rowenta and thought it was good until it leaked had to be replaced and I got a Reliable about four or five years ago, it is the best Iron I have ever had. It has a boiler inside that makes the steam and the steam is constant not in spurts, so easy to push the steam button on and off,you use tap water and it has a filter that is replaced when ever it limes up. We have a water softener so mine lasted a couple years. You have two levels of steam, high and low and will steam at any setting. I also splurged and bought my self their ironing board, it comes with two pads and a piece to slip on the front to make it a large rectangle. Can't think of anything I dislike. The iron was about $30.00 higher then a Rowenta but worth every penny.Notice that Nancy Notions is carrying them now, I bought mine direct from their web site. They are made in Canada and the CO makes commercial steamer,s to. Try www.reliance.com

You might want to use the search function to get even more opinions and options.

For quilting, a plain no steam flat plate iron and starch. For clothes, a Rowenta (or any other good brand) steam iron.

Blog Entries
    I have a full size Rowenta that I have used for over 15 years and I bought a travel size Rowenta (purple handle that folds) for Quilting when I go to workshops. I love both of these irons, but a friend that quilts swears by the Sunbeam iron.
    I think it is a matter of preference. But remember, when quilting, your iron is on most of the time. It does get a lot of use.

Am I reading this right? $5.50 for a Rowenta? Where is this store located?
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Savers is a great place to buy irons and they have a testing station for electronics.
    I bought a Rowenta for $5.50

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast