Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: I need a new iron

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    I but the cheapo from Walmart - I can't even break them - I have the same one year after year. I finally bought a new one because mine was so old - another cheapo and no problems at all.
    I tried the cheapo from walmart because it was bought as a gift. I hated it. It worked ok until I shut off the steam one day then I could never get it to work as a steam iron again. So now I use a shark and love it!

I have a Rowenta and a Shark. I love my Shark, got it at Walmart or Target, can't remember which one.

Because of arthritic problems, I purchased a small, lightweight Rowenta about 4yrs ago and love it. The only time it spits water is when I overfill it. Being a small iron it doesn't hold a lot of water and needs to be filled more often than the Black&Decker I've had for 10 yrs. Have always used distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    I but the cheapo from Walmart - I can't even break them - I have the same one year after year. I finally bought a new one because mine was so old - another cheapo and no problems at all.
    Ditto....mine is nothing special except that it was a WalMart cheapie about 12-15 years ago and still going strong. Does everything I need it to do, considering that I only ever use the cotton setting for both clothes and quilting....never tried any other setting.

I love my Rowenta.......I have had it for just over 1 year.

Blog Entries
    I love my Rowenta also. Have seen the negative remarks also but from my point of veiw, I am sorry I didn't get one years ago. I've only had mine about 1 1/2 Yrs but so far, ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE.

My trusty 25 year old Black and Decker still irons great but every once in a while, it unpredictably lets loose a drop of water out of the steam holes. The water must be rusty because I end up with a round mark that is brown on the edges.

Last weekend, went to Walmart with every intention of buying an iron. Most had far fewer steam holes than my B&D. Ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond and bought a German made Rowenta DW8080 - highly rated by Consumer Reports - got 20% off with my coupon.

I was hesitant after reading the posts but so far, so good.

BTW, the instructions say to use tap water. For really hard water, use no greater than a 50/50 mix of tap and distilled water. Says not to use straight distilled water.

i went to walmart and got the $6.00 iron and love it and its steam.

i thought my rowenta leaked too but discovered i was hittng the spray button djw

I have the Oliso; love it. Pricey so if you purchase, make sure you have a sturdy x frame ironing board. You don't want it taking a nose dive.

I HAVE THE $7.99 ONE FROM WALMART... WORKS GREAT

Blog Entries
    I got a black & decker "classic" from walmart after reading about it on this site. After trying it, I put my very costly Rowenta away. This iron really works well and it was cheap.

Mine is probably classified as an antique, as it has to be between 45-50 years old. Gift from my oldest daughter when a teenager. It is a GE and works perfectly--had the cord replaced once as I was afraid of the fiber-covered original one. No problem, but did have with a similar toaster cord. I use only distilled water, and hope it lasts as long as I!

I had a euro pro steam station that I bought from HSN for $100. After 8 years it finally died on me. They no longer make my iron so I did some research and bought a DeLonghi. It has been great though it doesn't hold as much water so I have to refill at least once if I'm on an all day sewing marathon.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I have a shark, and I hate it. It tips over all by itself with no cause, sometimes landing on the floor, and one time burning a hole in the ironing board cover because I didn't notice it had flopped. From the start is leaked water copiously, no matter what temperature and steam selection I chose. I'm this close to ordering the plain, no steam, solid faceplate iron offered in the Vermont Country Store catalog. I went to my very first quilt retreat in Oct '10, and everyone there used the same iron on dry setting with a spray bottle. Now I use mine that way all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
    Do you have one you really like? What do you like or dislike about the one you have?
    I have 2 Rowentas that I got because I had to have one to work with while the other was in the shop being repaired. Then I bought a White Steam Generator and had to have that replaced 3 times. Finally I broke down and bought a ConSew Gravity Feed iron and absolutely love it. I have had it now almost 6 years and can count on both hands the number of times that I have had to refill the water tank. It holds 1 and 1/4 gallons of water. I use it all of the time and it has great steam and great pressing power. I did have one problem with it however and that was finding a reliable pressing surface that can take all of the heat and steam. I thought I found it in a couple of Pergo floor strips that I nailed to a board because of the ads that say nothing can destroy Pergo well guess what my ConSew can. WARPED!!! But still usable.

i just uise cheap ones from wal mart use the extra cash for more fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savers is a well organized thrift store chain.
    They do have a website but dont know anything about it.
    I live in Phx AZ and they have alot of stores here.
    It is a great place to buy irons cheap and they have a testing station so you can make sure they work.
    Great way to try different brands and find the one you like best.

I have an Olisio, 2 Rowentas, Black & decker, and a Protor Silex (don't ask why so many). I use my Rownetas the most. Thye are good heavy irons. I use only distilled wate as the water here is the pitts. My one Rowenta is about 15-20 years old and have never had a problem.

I bought a black and decker from Walmart and I can't turn the steam off on it and there are things that you can't use steam on. That is one thing to check for when you buy one. I also had one that I took back. It shut itself off and I would chain sew pieces and by the time I was done and back to the iron it had shut off and was cool. Not a good feature in my case. I also found that support with black and decker is not good.
    Lynda

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4