Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some help with my pigs!!! >

I need some help with my pigs!!!

I need some help with my pigs!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Just a curly tail and your pigs would be perfect in mho, but then that is my opinion !
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Too cute-pigs in a hole in the barn door. Just what they love in real life is escape! ;-) I wouldn't add any detail except the tail and MAYBE a small line for a smile and/or a couple french knots for eye,nostril. Too much detail kind of detracts from the batik and the effect. For applique, I like the small blanket stitch with invisble or matching thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Try braiding some 4-ply yarn very tightly. Leave long ends and, using a yarn needle, pull them through the fabric and batting. Tie the ends together securely. If the braid is tight enough, it will curl and you have a 3-D tail.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:42 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I love these ! like the painted ponies !!

have you checked out Cincinatti's site about the flying pigs? fun statues.. maybe give you some ideas

http://cincinnati.com/bigpiggig/profiles.html
Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 AM

Watch the children's cartoon OLIVIA on Nicklodian for extra hints. Curly tail idea is good, and maybe a curved line for the mouth. You'll enjoy OLIVIA. If you don't do anything, your is very cute.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Ah, the pitfalls of perfectionism! Don't be so hard on yourself...

These are really cute pigs .... and yes, just a squiggly embroidered tail would be fine ....

Remember - the finished product is much greater than the sum of its parts ..... Balance your blocks for eye-appeal .... enhance as much or as little as your imagination is sparked by the process .... and remember that the borders, the quilting and all else will change your perspective as you progress.

Just keep at it and you will see it all coming together in no time .....

I'll be anxious to see the final accomplishment.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 AM

I think they look like pigs just from the form you made, I think that the less detail the better. You could try putting a curly tail on them in satin stitch of same value of thread, and then consider cutting, fusing and stitching on a small inner ear. A single stitch around the nose profile, perhaps a little stitching on the hooves just to ground them. I just finished a baby quilt of appliques, and there wasnt so much stitching as cut out pieces appliqued on top and then stitched. You are correct, it is hard to control satin stitch, and I found that if you are trying to use it to hold the applique in place, it is usually too much and too heavy.:)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 AM

Looks very good to me but they do need a little curly tail of some sort, possibly embroidered on.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 AM

I'd say do each piggy's tail just a bit different. They are all individuals! and a eye. Leave all the other details off,won't show much on the batiks anyway. How about pearl cotton or embroidery floss for tail and leave little end loose?? Could tack down to make curly or up over back, ect...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
First, they look just like pigs to me the way they are. I don't think you need to do anything else except maybe embroider a curly tail. They are very cute.
Agreed, I think they are perfect as is and I'd just quilt in the areas around them. They are adorable.