Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some help!!! >

I need some help!!!

I need some help!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM

I agree with the one who said, move your sewing machine by the ironing table. I have a L shape machine cabinet. so I have a small ironing pad there. I used my full size irn as I have not had good luck with the others. For storage under your tables, you could build shelves under so they would be open or you can buy those plastic sets of drawers that roll
Happy Quilting
Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Omnigrid makes an 8-1/2 x 11 travel folder, inside it has an ironing surface and on the opposite side a cutting mat. It is perfect for sitting right next to the machine. Walmart and Target sell little travel irons, about 6" tall and foldable. They work perfect on this little surface.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM

My comment is that it is very good for you to have to move and get up to iron in between sewing. It moves all the joints again and acts like a mini exercise so I would say don't worry too much and look at it as preventing any repetitive strain injuries. I like all the other suggestions for storage and sorting etc.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:41 PM

A lot of my thoughts have already been mentioned. With small spaces, it is important to go up - at least one wall could have a shelf 18" down from the ceiling to hold things you rarely use. If they are in clear plastic boxes, it could be a pretty design element.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Don't forget to check out IKEA for furniture/shelving
Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM

ginnie6, Try chain sewing...Sew several squares without cutting threads. Decide how many blocks you are making. Sew half of them and then press those. Turn the blocks and sew the second row together. Press those blocks. It will save time, etc.
Eiltcoq.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM

If at all possible, place the sewing machines on the same table, with some space to work on the right (or left, if you are left handed) for your blocks. Make your space to the right to be a combination cutting-ironing station so that you only have to swivel around to press, or to cut. I did not notice your chair, but if you can get a swivel office chair so that you do not have to move, it will work better. Place your threads near the sewing area (on the wall just in front of the machines, if you can. The more you can place everything you need for each job(cutting, sewing, etc.) the better off you will be.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Guys, what is IKEA furniture and shelving, please? My sewing space is 10'X11' and I am trying to redesign for easier access. Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 PM

I used to use a travel iron with my padded cutting board (sr. moment -- forgot what it's called). But to help with circulation and for exercise, I set up the ironing board and iron in the utility room which is on the opposite end of the house. I now sew a few seams, then walk to the ironing board to do my pressing. It works for me and helps with the old circulation. The only problem I have now is that dadgummit iron has an automatic shut off. I need to go back to the travel iron.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM

I am quite new here. Will someone tell me how to view these pictures, please