Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need a stash.. :-)

Power Poster
    I agree with Lizzytish, I always buy a little extra "just in case", but I also find myself buying the fabric that jumps into my cart or arms,as the case may be. The best deals came from a quilt shop where they cut the price of the regular fabric to $2.99 to clear it out to make way for new fabric. I got some great deals, and I tried to pick up enough yardage for backings; although one fabric in particular decided that she should have top billing and became the focus fabric for a queen size raffle quilt for my church, and it made quite a bit of money that year.

Power Poster
    I do know what a pinafore is, but my DDIL didn't, when I told her I wanted to make my DGD Zoe's Christmas dress with a pinafore, she asked what a pinafore was, so I have to make the pinafore for the dress to show her.

Power Poster
    What a great Christmas gift - fabric.

When I first began quilting, I worked on my stash faithfully. At first, I picked an area at a time-novelties, baby fabrics, 1930s, Civil War, florals, solids and textures, black, white and cream tone on tone. Then I started on Christmas, Autumn, Halloween, Red and White, Black and White, etc. I watch for fabrics on sale to buy "quilting sets." Like someone else said, I try to work within a suite of primary fabrics of one line for quilts. I can add solids and textures later.
    When buying fabric yardage, I usually buy 3-4 yards of the primary design. If I think it will be used for a small project; 1-1/2 yards. Solids and tone on tone-2-3 yards, sometimes more if the price is fantastic.
    This was so hard for me in the beginning because I had no concept of how much yardage would be needed for anything! It's getting easier now than I sew more often.
    Karen in Kentucky

I love the idea of asking for fabric for Christmas, etc.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    One way to get some very low priced stash is to go to thrift shops (such as Goodwill) and look for good quality, 100 % cotton men's shirts and cut them up along the seams. You can get the equivalent of 1 to 2 yards of fabric from a large to an extra large shirt, depending on the cut, short sleeves or long sleeves, or the size.

You can also look for woman's large cotton shirts or dresses to use also.

Our Goodwill has items on sale half price after they have been there for a certain number of weeks, and on sale for 75% off the next week. I usually wait for shirts to go on the 75% off sale and get them for 75 cents or a dollar. Can't beat those prices.

As an extra bonus, I also keep all of the buttons that come off the shirts and build up a great button stash!

Blog Entries
    It's easy to build up a stash. Just buy fabric! That's not a sarcastic answer to your problem. It's what all of us have done to build our stash. And it's why I've declared a moratorium on buying more fabric. I spend the winter in AZ and have a stash here. I spend the rest of the year in CT and have a stast there. I bought all of my fabric before the price of cotton shot through the roof. Now, I confine my buying to jelly rolls when they're on sale.
    Last edited by JoanneS; 12-23-2012 at 02:29 PM.

you have several great quilt shops in san antonio. i love to shop there, and will be going there next week to deliver a "cancer quilt" to a friend of mine. It is made from a panel of "cancer cannot...." and set together with batiks.
    sorry about no caps. i have a cast on my right hand.
    i do not need fabric. i could go to my stash and make several quilts! but it is so much fun to shop in a quilt shop or at hobby lobby! your stash will multiply before you know it.

Blog Entries
    Quiltingfan, this is a good time of year to shop sales, most LQS will sell in order to reduce inventories for this year. Have fun, buy what you like!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    oh heck just break the cycle and go on a whim and buy a 1/2 yard of 20 materials and who knows what you will come up with !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I made them for my daughter when she was little and one for her doll. They would have matching dress and pinafores. It was so cute. Long time ago now, she is 34.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
    you have several great quilt shops in san antonio. i love to shop there, and will be going there next week to deliver a "cancer quilt" to a friend of mine. It is made from a panel of "cancer cannot...." and set together with batiks.
    sorry about no caps. i have a cast on my right hand.
    i do not need fabric. i could go to my stash and make several quilts! but it is so much fun to shop in a quilt shop or at hobby lobby! your stash will multiply before you know it.
    So sorry about your arm. I hope it gets to feeling better soon. :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks every one for the advice. I don't really have a big room for a big stash but I am going to be working on putting it out so that I can see it. I have my leftover and the little bit that I have bought in bins so now I don't know what I have and don't have or can't find it if I have it. Oh well something to do in my spare time. haha. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and spends it anyway they want to. Beth

Quiltingfan, please don't do what I did when building my stash, make sure to buy some very light and very darks. Most quilters make the mistake of not buying enough of these values. Alas, when I want to start a project from my stash I have to go to the store and buy both of these. Maybe that is not such a bad thing, just aggravating to not have them on hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
    One way to get some very low priced stash is to go to thrift shops (such as Goodwill) and look for good quality, 100 % cotton men's shirts and cut them up along the seams. You can get the equivalent of 1 to 2 yards of fabric from a large to an extra large shirt, depending on the cut, short sleeves or long sleeves, or the size.

You can also look for woman's large cotton shirts or dresses to use also.

Our Goodwill has items on sale half price after they have been there for a certain number of weeks, and on sale for 75% off the next week. I usually wait for shirts to go on the 75% off sale and get them for 75 cents or a dollar. Can't beat those prices.

As an extra bonus, I also keep all of the buttons that come off the shirts and build up a great button stash!
    Most of the quilts my great-grandmother and grandmother made were from old shirts, dresses, and leftover fabric from making new clothing. We have used these quilts for over 50 years!! Some are now "retired," but kept on display.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Please go to Bonnie Hunters site Quiltville.com and learn how to handle your scraps while they are in their infantile stage. You will be so happy to get it under control from the beginning. Merry Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by judi wess View Post
    Quiltingfan, please don't do what I did when building my stash, make sure to buy some very light and very darks. Most quilters make the mistake of not buying enough of these values. Alas, when I want to start a project from my stash I have to go to the store and buy both of these. Maybe that is not such a bad thing, just aggravating to not have them on hand.

Not only do I just go to the fabric store store in my quilting room, I advise my friends if they are looking for something special....check my stash. As of January 1, 2013 I am only buying fabric for backing. (She said hopefully.)

i go to flea markets yard sales on weekends.find lots of fabric. just today i found a large table cloth red and white. cotton. that is fabric right.and i found a twin bed cover cotton, use it for batting.so fabric is out there in all forms...
    ​debra

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
    . . . I found a quilt store just 5 min from my house. OH NO I THINK I AM IN TROUBLE.... I am so excited I know my hubby bought me something from there and I asked for a long arm class so I could use there long arm machine to quilt my quilts on. I am giddy with excitement now. . . . Beth
    So Beth, we all want to know what your hubby got you for Christmas. :0)

Or did I miss it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2