Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a stash..  :-) >

I need a stash.. :-)

I need a stash.. :-)

Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 AM

I don't have a stash either, since I'm a fairly new quilter- but I have a BIG stash of clothing fabric. I have been just buying for my project so far, with funds tight, but if I see something outstanding I grab it. I try to take a lot of classes at my Guild, and they always refer to just grabbing this and that from your stash, and I have to go buy it for just a small amount. I guess I need to keep stocking up on FQ's, too. I try to buy Batiks to have since they are so versible. Put them on your B-day and Christmas list!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM

My BFF is an enabler, no FQ is ever overlooked, or a yard or 2 added to the original amount needed. Guilt free when he's along! (his eye for fabric selection is much better than mine) Enjoy your class!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 AM

My stash was started over 30 years ago. Time is the answer in collecting anything. My hint though is ALWAYS check out the remnants! Because I am a scrapper this works really well for me. I hardly ever purchase more than a yard at a time - it has to be for a particular project if I do. Rems also add to the variety you will have on hand. Things that you would never pick (as yardage) are often exactly right!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
When I go to a quilt shop or fabric store I buy fabric if I need it or not. The first thing I bought when I started quilting was stash.
Me too, I remember buying two or three clearance kits at a time, if I liked the fabric. Then I would put the kits apart and put the fabrics on the shelf by color. I would leave the extra patterns at quilt club meetings.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Maribeth View Post
Me too, I remember buying two or three clearance kits at a time, if I liked the fabric. Then I would put the kits apart and put the fabrics on the shelf by color. I would leave the extra patterns at quilt club meetings.
Great idea!!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Lizzytish, I always buy a little extra "just in case", but I also find myself buying the fabric that jumps into my cart or arms,as the case may be. The best deals came from a quilt shop where they cut the price of the regular fabric to $2.99 to clear it out to make way for new fabric. I got some great deals, and I tried to pick up enough yardage for backings; although one fabric in particular decided that she should have top billing and became the focus fabric for a queen size raffle quilt for my church, and it made quite a bit of money that year.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I do know what a pinafore is, but my DDIL didn't, when I told her I wanted to make my DGD Zoe's Christmas dress with a pinafore, she asked what a pinafore was, so I have to make the pinafore for the dress to show her.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

What a great Christmas gift - fabric.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:01 PM

When I first began quilting, I worked on my stash faithfully. At first, I picked an area at a time-novelties, baby fabrics, 1930s, Civil War, florals, solids and textures, black, white and cream tone on tone. Then I started on Christmas, Autumn, Halloween, Red and White, Black and White, etc. I watch for fabrics on sale to buy "quilting sets." Like someone else said, I try to work within a suite of primary fabrics of one line for quilts. I can add solids and textures later.
When buying fabric yardage, I usually buy 3-4 yards of the primary design. If I think it will be used for a small project; 1-1/2 yards. Solids and tone on tone-2-3 yards, sometimes more if the price is fantastic.
This was so hard for me in the beginning because I had no concept of how much yardage would be needed for anything! It's getting easier now than I sew more often.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 PM

I love the idea of asking for fabric for Christmas, etc.