Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I REALLY hate doing >

I REALLY hate doing

I REALLY hate doing

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Um.... I don't much like piecing. Specifically when it gets to the point where blocks are done, and it's time to do sashing/borders. I don't have the best sewing space for handling large expanses of fabric, so it can be frustrating, and the chance of catching a fold under the presser foot or rolling my chair over the quilt top is always a concern.

I love handwork of all kinds, and I've never tried hand-piecing a top. I think that will be on my radar in the near future. That, and wholecloths. ;)
Old 08-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Watch the segment I did for QuiltersTV. Am told it gives good and easy directions.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

You said it best - the blankety-blank binding!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 PM

I save the binding to do at times when I don't feel up to climbing the stairs. I find that it is a positive thing then. I am finishing quilts. I also do my binding while riding in the car. It is better to do that in the winter than the summer though!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM

I don't mind doing the binding. It means that I have another one finished and also, it is something different!!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:25 PM

I too do not like doing binding. By the time I get to it I am already cutting out and moving on to my next project. I have a lot of UFOs that just need binding. My BFF just told me today that her 90 year old mother said she would be happy to do all my handwork......yipppeeee!!! I told her I wouldn't think of her doing it without my paying her but she wouldn't hear of it. I know she loves candy so I may drop off my projects with bags of her fav candy as payment. We both win!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I feel your pain about the binding. I decided a long time ago that after I had all the materials cut for the top and backing, I'd cut, sew, iron and store the binding material. It's worked well as I'm still in that 'go, go, go mentality!' Then when I come home from quilting the layers I sit down that day and machine sew on the binding. I look forward to hand sewing on the back side of the binding while watching tv.

I despise having to use the seem ripper when I've messed up and sewn something wrong.
Wow, that is amazing....I could have written this comment...why do I ever think I have a unique plan in my head when there are thousands of you out there doing it the same way!! But it does make me smile to see I am in good company. Yeah, having that binding ready to go (I even have mine wound up on my toilet paper necklace) makes a big difference. and yes, the back side of a binding takes me one to two movies, depending on the size of the quilt.
Just do it!! you know you're so happy when your finished sewing it to the front!! :thumbup:
Old 08-20-2011, 03:45 PM

I have only done the binding a couple of times. It is just so easy to have it done by my local LAQ. But, after what I paid this last trip, I might have to start doing the binding myself to keep the cost down a bit.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:00 PM

I dread sandwiching and pinning. I mostly "quilt by check" unless it is a small project. I loce doing binding since I discovered how to do the glue method.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Binding was mine, until I decided that machine sewing them on was perfectly okay with me :D:D:D