Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I remember when I could buy...... >

I remember when I could buy......

I remember when I could buy......

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Default Groceries

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I can remember buying a weeks worth of groceries for $12 which included stuff for lunches. I also remember my salary being $145 a MONTH and it was considered good money for an 18 year old fresh out of high school. And, I had to wear heels, hose and a girdle!!!!!
I'm with you misseva, now a days these young people go to an interview in shorts, when i was looking for a job, if i had gone in shorts, i would have been ask to leave.
By the way, i love the name of the town you live in.
God Bless
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 View Post
I'm with you misseva, now a days these young people go to an interview in shorts, when i was looking for a job, if i had gone in shorts, i would have been ask to leave.
By the way, i love the name of the town you live in.
God Bless
I've had people wonder about that but it stands for Plumb Outa Town and Nelly Outa County - hence PlumNelly.
I was talking to a friend recently about people in large cities and how miserable we would be. When I lived in the city I heard gun shots and it was people at people. Now I hear gun shots and it's men against ducks, deer, squirrels and sometimes it's me against coons and armadillos. The coons tear up my bird feeders and armadillos dig holes that you could break a leg in.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I must be the same age as you. I remember gas wars where gas was 19 cents a gallon. And I bought a VW for $1,999. I think jeans were $4. My mom use to give me her Bon Marche card so I could buy clothes and she never worried that I would spend too much because prices were so low. Remember 5 cent candy bars and pop?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I must be the same age as you. I remember gas wars where gas was 19 cents a gallon. And I bought a VW for $1,999. I think jeans were $4. My mom use to give me her Bon Marche card so I could buy clothes and she never worried that I would spend too much because prices were so low. Remember 5 cent candy bars and pop?
Yes, I remember that mother gave me a quarter each day - 15 cents for school lunch and a dime to stop by drug store and get a dr pepper & chips. then they all went to 6 cents except coke and that's when i changed to coke! sometimes i'd get a cherry phosphate - remember those?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 PM

I don't remember $4 jeans, but I do remember penny candy and 25 ¢ gasoline. I remember my FIL telling me he paid $14,000. for the house they owned at the Shore. Its now going for around $200,000. and that's with the drop .
Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

So - what are we to do?

If no on buys anything, no one has any work/income.

If no one has any work/income, no can buy anything.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM

I also believe that government regulations on most all our products is causing a rise in the cost of producing goods. Labor laws also have an effect. Unfortunately, that's why so many companies are outsourcing their production overseas. I understand that we need some regulations to protect us and the environment but I do think the EPA, etc. take it to the extreme. I'm old enough to see that we have had a dramatic increase in regulations just over the last 10 years or so. I would LOL but it really isn't funny as I'm one of those who live on a fixed income!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Hey I still remember thread at .15 cents a spool. So its all been shocking !
And gas was .19 cents a gallon!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
And gas was .19 cents a gallon!
I ws 6 and remember my mother riding the bus into town to buy a 5 cent spool of thread to make a costume for me for the May Day. There were very few 2 car families, they still had vegetable vendors that rode around the neighborhoods to sell produce, there were ice cream wagons, by the time I was 19 gas was 25 cent a gallon, and a gas war made it 19 cents per gallon. What happened to our safe world? I was allowed to walk a mile to a neighborhood grocery to purchase a treat, penny candy.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Cotton shortage, domestic wage increases and tax increases, foreign tariffs and taxes it all adds up to higher prices at the wholesale level and then there are the costs for the local business to stay afloat. What goes around comes around and as we expect higher wages itn will be reflected in higher costs for the goods we want. I stick with buying warm company products as they are a local company here in the nw. I like helping keep the neighbors employed to keep my faamily warm.