Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I searched for an answer, not sure I got one?? >

I searched for an answer, not sure I got one??

I searched for an answer, not sure I got one??

Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM

I have used flannel for batting in wall quilts and hand quilted it without any problems. My grandmother used to use "sheet blankets" for batting in lighter weight quilts also.. for those too young to know, those are like receiving blankets for adults. Fleece I'm not so sure about.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Yes my mom and dad used to make quilts for us when we were younger (mostly my dad) just scrappy ones but they would always put fleece on the inside and let me tell you we had those quilts til literally there was nothing left. They were warm and comfy.. so in short. YES you definitely can!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Anytime you use a fleece it is going to pill.
Be that you are using it for a garment or a quilt, it will eventually pill.
The length of time, I believe, before it starts to do this is in the washing and use of the fabric.
I have used fleece for two quilt backs and one pilled faster than the other but I think it is because one was used/washed more.
Doesn't matter to me.
I love flannel and fleece so I will use both for applications I deem it worthwhile.
Hope this helps.
Kirsten
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 AM

I have used fleece for batting. Worked fine. I have also used it for backing and batting (2 purposes with one layer). Worked fine!! :P
Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Hi, I have used fleese but it is necessary to pin it in many more places than you do batting. I am not crazy about using it. I have used an old blanket and it is easier to work with. I also just machine quilt. Knowing if something will pill is a hard question to answer. I am not sure what parameters you have to have in fabric for it not to pill, and I don't know if the anti pill stuff really works. It would be interesting to find out what brand fabrics work.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Since I live in Northern Minnesota, the winters are sometimes viciously cold...I like to make my quilts as warm as possible. I have used flannel from fabric.com for the last few. They have extra wide flannel, so even for a large bed quilt, you don't need a seam in the backing. So far, I am pleased with the results.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

last year i bought fleece at fabric.com. i made several throws and after many washings they still loook brand new so i guess it depends on the manufacturer if it will pill or not
Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 AM

I have used fleece for batting, but only in quilt as you go stuff like rag quilts. I haven't had trouble with fleece pilling. I have also used fleece in quilts that I tied or tacked with buttons. I like using it. It sure beats buying something else. Gwyn
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 AM

Walgreens has some fleece blankets on sale for $1.99. I thought about buying some to use as batting... may try.. It would be a lot cheaper that regular batting and probably warmer too. What do you think? quilter 1234