Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I So Need Some Advice Marking a Large Quilt 110X110" >

I So Need Some Advice Marking a Large Quilt 110X110"

I So Need Some Advice Marking a Large Quilt 110X110"

Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 AM

how about trying blue painters tape? It comes in seveal different width so you could put tape down and sew yo-yos on either side of the rtape. tape pulls up easily leaving no residue.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Hello everyone ~ Thank-you from the bottom of my heart for all the advice and suggestions. The blue pen I used was not the disappearing type it was one that would disappear with water. Perhaps Thimblebugs comment that the pens may have been on the shelf or warehouse and was 'old' is why it disappeared without water.

DH has huge conference table at work and we marked it with the Frixion pen after testing the quilt fabric to make sure it will disappear with heat.

So now the journey of attaching the Yo Yo's to the quilt begins. I'm thinking Greensleeves comment about wondering what 7 thousand Yo Yo's look like I may take them out of the bags (200 per 1 gallon zip lock bag) and pile them up and take a picture.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to wrangle a king sized quilt on your lap while sewing on the Yo Yo's? I don't have a hand quilt frame...thinking I will just take portions of it onto my lap and let the rest drape into a box.

Again, thanks to everyone who took time to reply with thoughts and suggestions, I'm very grateful!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Glad that you and your DH have now got it re-marked and are ready to go!! Maybe he'd help with the stitching?

I'm totally in awe of your making 7,000 yo-yo's!
Is there a colour/fabric placement plan?
... or is it if totally a scrappy look, wherever they land on the quilt?

One big marathon ahead ... then again, maybe it's seems easy now that you're on the home stretch of having made all of them?

As to the how to? ... for me ... I'd just sit down on my couch, feet up and let the quilt puddle around me ......... and not plan on any quick get-aways, once nestled in.

And oh yes ... I'd have all my stitching supplies at hand, including the TV flipper for a good movie or music!

I'll sure be looking forward to seeing any progress pics, as you go!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

remember with the frixon pens you do have to iron the marks away---once the yoyo's are attached will you be able to get an iron to the marks?
instead of one of the air erase pens- try a water erase pen- or pencil=there are numerous to choose from- then you only have to spritz with water in a spray bottle to remove your marks- i've used a blue one that lasted for months while i hand quilted a quilt- then came out just fine when i spritzed the finished quilt.
do test first though to make sure it's going to come out ...i've heard sometimes they (soak in) to the quilted threads- more difficult to remove.