Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have "cold feet" >

I think I have "cold feet"

I think I have "cold feet"

Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 AM

Go for it--we all will mess something up even if we have been at this for years and years. I will still cut something wrong and I've been doing this for 44 years. Just jump in and do it. My motto, measure twice--cut once--grin
Old 04-04-2011, 04:19 AM

Nope - almost 30 years and I still get a lil skerred.
:)
Just take a deep breath, have a little faith in yourself and get 'er done. If you don't start, you can't finish!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
Yes, I am just a bit older than a newbie, quilting for about a year and a half, and I always just know I wont like a quilt that I have planned. I am just finishing one this evening, in time for "Show and Tell" at the guild meeting tomorrow night, and I am not sure I will take it. My quilts just always look so different than anyone else's.

But, you know what...I have finally decided that if I fail, so what? I'll just make another quilt...
I have been to many many quilt shows and I always encourage the newbies to enter their quilts. We, as quilters love to see the patterns, colors and work that goes into a quilt. Every one of us started out as a newbie so we know where you are and should rncourage your journey. Hanging a quilt in a show should give you great satisfaction, here is what I made on this wonderful journey. You also get to take great pictures while it is hanging!! Don't forget there is always the next show to display your next creation! Go for it!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 AM

True for this newbie! I started out buying nearly twice what the pattern needed, and I used some of it - I had a lot of trouble measuring and cutting. So I now have a lot of 1 1/2" strips which should have been 2 1/2" and 6" squares which should have been 6 1/2" and I need to make another quilt to use them - and the rest of the unused material - up. Could be worse problems :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 AM

I had no classes, nothing. I just saw a quilt I would like to make. I love challenge. I thought and thought and I did have nerves about, what if's, then again what if I did not try?? I then planned a quilt for my granddaughter, went out, purchased my fabric, and tried my best. I was so very happy with the results.. Now here I am, with a love for quilting and what I create.
You'll never know, unless you try.
My best to you and happy quilting
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 AM

We never fail - we just redesign.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 AM

There are always questions 'cause we can't see the finished project. Go for it and have a good time. Your quilt WILL look different because it is YOUR quilt. And that's what's great about quilting.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 AM

Baby, cold feet don't go with warm heart. Get a heating pad and melt that fear.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
I'm fairly new at quilting as some of you may know. I've only made a table runner, set of placemats and a baby rag quilt. I have a few projects that I want to make but keep putting them off.
I think I'm afraid of failing and ruin fabric. Is this a normal newbie thing???
It's an oldie thing tooooooo... LOL
If your first attempt doesn't come out exactly as you hoped, donate it to a needy organization. You learned something and will do a better job with the next one. Its a win-win, no?
I've come up with some interesting and awesome ideas and solutions because of oopsies!
No one learns to walk without a few falls. Get back up and keep trying.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 AM

yes, and with fabric prices skyrocketing, it will probably get worse...the worry I mean. But I try to keep this in the back of my mind...if I make a booboo..it can be used in another quilt another time.
Michelle G.