Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a cutting table!!!

I want a cutting table!!!

I am a newbie, but oldie! lol......I am new to making quilts but a new senior citizen. I am having to get down on my floor ( laminate) to cut my fabric. It hurts my knees! I want a table to cut on. I have seen that JoAnn's has cutting tables pretty reasonable....I like the portablility of them. Any views on this? Thanks

I have that cutting table and I love it!! It is a good height for most people, has two wings that can be up or down. I recommend it:-)
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

There are lots of options for cutting tables, depending on the space you have and your budget. I got two inexpensive bookcases from Staples and laid a solid core door on top. That gives me lots of room for cutting and stacking, and it's the perfect height for me. Others have found that their kitchen counter is the perfect height for cutting. I looked at the JoAnn's cutting tables, but they were smaller than I wanted and I thought they might be shaky. Others on the board have reported success with them.

the reviews aren't very good and I'm kinda nervous about trying it.

We found an old dining table in a 2nd hand store, complete with very convenient silverware drawers and I use it as my cutting table and sewing table. My husband attached a plug strip to the opposite side of the table as well for easy plug access. The silverware drawers are a dream for scissors, rotaries, thread, needles, etc.
    Lynne

I have joann's table and it is just OK...but MUCH BETTER than being on your knees!!!!! Mine works fine, but I have to tighten the nuts every once in a while. It gets a little wobbly, but for the money - I say it is worth it.

A friend has one of those Joann's cutting tables. It is way to shaky for me.

Our Kroger [grocery] stores sell rolling kitchen centers which will do for a smaller cutting surface and storage. I bought something similar years ago and love it, as it is the just right height for me.

Ikea also has some storage ides - like 2 kitchen cabinets back to back, or their adjustable tables.

One friend used a shelving system where her DH put a solid board on top of it.

Goodwill, thrift shops, and other such stores might have dressers or tables or bookcases that can be used.

Lots of ideas ... just need to think repurposing.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have 3 of the long folding tables (also fold in the middle) that are available from Costco for a reasonable price. We set them up on small Ikea children foot stools to get them to a good cutting height. You could also use PVC pipes over the ends of the legs to raise them up.

I can have 1-3 tables up at a time depending on whether I'm using the table(s) for cutting or laying out a quilt.
    CMC

I have the cutting table from Joann's and I love it. I think for the price it is a great deal.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Blog Entries
    When we renovated our bathroom we saved the old vanity. My DH put casters on it and a laminate top. He also added added a divided extension on piano hinges that I can flip up as needed. They are supported by legs that I screw in that he fabricated from the plumbing department. Only cost a few dollars..and I have extra storage to boot.
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

Blog Entries
    I would get a sturdy table, not one on wheels. i do have the joann's table but use it to baste on. some use it for a cutting table though.
    my hubby made me a cutting table out of a nine foot solid wood door his old office was throwing away. he built it into the corner of my sewing room permanently.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I use an old drafting table. It is heavy but very sturdy and the right height for me.

I use a table that folds in half (I either bought at Walmart or Staples). My dh made extensions for the legs on his metal lathe. It is really sturdy.
    Linda

I also have a JoAnn's cutting table. I usually only need one side open, so I open the side away from me. That way I have my cutting mat across the base. It's much more stable.

I have one from JoAnn's too and I just love it. I only use half of it because of room and it seems pretty stable and can fold it out when I want to have the extra lleafs.
    Jo

I have had the Joanne's cutting table for years. I think it's great. You can easily roll it from room to room if you need to relocate it. If you only need to cut smaller items you only need to raise one leaf.

Banned
    I got a 30"x72" table then risers and a 36"x8' sheet of plywood. Works great and was not expensive.
    or get two saw horses with door on top. Lots of options that are not expensive.

Put any table up on bed risers...
    ~Laura

Lightbulb

My husband created one like has been one like has been suggested only we used matching sets of double drawers that were the right height. He attached a narrow edge to the top front. Then took 3/4 inch 4' sheet of plywood and created a top. We separated the sets of drawers so the 4' would fit across them and the narrow edge kept them in place. He put a piano hinge the full 4' width and added an additional 3x4' leaf that can be lifted up and held with a brace he made. Believe me this doesn't move when cutting. And you can cut almost anything with 4 x 6' space. I have the space to leave it up all the time if the leaf is down.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I have the JoAnne's cutting table and it works very well for me. I haven't noticed any wobbly-ness. It is certaily better than the floor and it folds down nicely.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    I saved a 1978 Singer cabinet that was an unusual size - bigger than a normal one. With an oversized piece of wallboard under my cutting mat, it works very well. I covered the wallboard with fabric. Not movable, but it has its own corner.

I have a folding table and a cutting table. The cutting table from joanns is now in our spare room and we only bring it out if needed. I like the folding table much better, sturdier.

We found a old dining room table with a drawer under it and it is perfect. My husband modified the legs so I can raise it up or down easily (so I can stand or sit and cut). Cheap too.

Blog Entries
    My DH took the large mirror/shelving unit off our old bedroom set dresser and placed a wide melamine board from the hardware store on it. The length of the board is the same length as the room-9 ft, and the dresser is 4 1/2 feet, which gives lots of space on both sides of the dresser for storage. We placed 2x4's on top of the dresser and as brackets along the wall underneath the board for the height I needed the table to support the board. The Alto Quiltcut 2 is on one end of the cutting table, a large cutting mat is on the other end, with plenty of room in between for using the tracing box set up, drawing out patterns, cutting patterns, etc. The drawers of the dresser store items for ironing, scraps of fabric, and fusibles and stabilizers. The cutting table is very sturdy as the dresser is a heavy duty 1980's design. I use an old desk with side drawers for a small ironing board surface to the right of me when sewing, and a heavy duty roll-away table on the left for a small rotating cutting mat.

I have had one for years.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast