Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want to make a string quilt and know nothing about making one >

I want to make a string quilt and know nothing about making one

I want to make a string quilt and know nothing about making one

Old 07-31-2018, 05:25 PM

I use cheap muslin and sew and flip. I use a dab of elmers school glue stick to glue down each strip as I go. A once over press after the block is all stitched makes a fabulous finish.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 PM

I've done it both ways and really don't think you need to use a foundation.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:22 AM

I use a thin really cheap muslin as a foundation for a several of reasons: 1: I just don't want to spend time tearing paper off, 2: I want the ability to make a quilt without batting if I choose, and 3: I also think it stabilizes the block. I just cut my fabric into strips without regard to grain and think those stretchy strips without foundation could get messy to work with in joining the blocks. All this is just my preference, that is the beauty of string quilts, you can do what you want to and it will generally work out.
If you go on Pinterest, do a search for string quilts and be amazed at all the different patterns that can be achieved with just strings. Also a Google search will get you a lot of ideas and tutorials on the many ways to make a string quilt.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 AM

I use Pellon Pattern Ease for my foundations. I've made tons of string quilts with it and have not encountered any issues. It stays in, no tearing away papers, lightweight, and half the cost of muslin I used to use. Have fun, but be warned they can be addictive! LOL
Old 08-01-2018, 03:00 AM

The string quilt that I made was on thin foundation. I don't think it made for a heavy quilt even with batting. As to dryer sheets, use the ones that have done their intended function and all the product is washed out of the fiber. They will be very soft but can easily be pressed into the shape you need. I use it for some applique pieces, too. I recently posted that those garment patterns that we don't know what to do with can be cut into appropriate pieces for paper-piecing foundations. One hint that has not been mentioned previously (that I noticed anyhow) is to alternate lights and darks as you put your strings together.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:13 AM

Way back before I knew half of what I know now (and I have a lot to learn yet) I sewed strings to muslin, and made up my own " quilt as you go" by using sashing in between my blocks. I didn't back or put batting in it. It isn't too heavy, and if I ever finish it (has anyone found the fountain of youth?? I think if I live to be 200 there will still be quite a pile of PIGS and UFOs in my studio) it will be one to drag around to the park etc.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

Faye58- you're hilarious. If you find that fountain will you let us know? hee hee
Old 08-01-2018, 05:19 AM

This thread reminds me of the "mile a minute" quilt blocks which were popular about 15-20 years ago.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 AM

Hey, what a great idea! Will start to save mine after I've used 'em. All is needed is some kind of foundation.
Originally Posted by sprice View Post
I used dryer sheets--they were stiff but softened up when I washed the finished quilt. I hate to remove paper. It is a very messy undertaking. Using even thin fabric does add weight to the quilt. I have also done blocks with no backing. Just make the approximate size, press well, and square the blocks up to the size you want.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I don't use dryer sheets but I think I'll try one with paper.
Thanks for all your help, everyone! I appreciate it all.