Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a new Brother, but............. >

I want a new Brother, but.............

I want a new Brother, but.............

Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 AM

Three of my machines are Brothers and I love them all. I purchased all of mine from www.allbrands.com They have FREE shipping and my machines arrived in three days each time I ordered one. They are an authorized dealer.

You can check out www.hsn.com they sell some brother machines too.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Go to your local store and ask for the manager or owner of the store and deal directly with them and not the sales people. If the repair person is good, skip the sales floor. However, if the other, further dealership offers classes with purchase, that's really something to consider.
I think this is a good idea. After you buy it you will probably not deal with the sales people again, so no worries.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I really agree with Dolphyngyrl. Brothers are really good machines and do not have a lot of problems.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 AM

Well sadly I have had the similar experience at the Brother dealer here, and so I use the Babylock dealer and they are great. I had issues with the Brother dealer, and asked for the manager of the store, unfortunately that is who I was speaking with : ( so that did me absolutely no good to call the manager. So instead I emailed Brother about my experience, and they replied back thanking me for giving them the info. Not sure what happened, since I don't go in that store anymore, but at least I felt better : )
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 AM

Depends on why you don't like the dealer...if it has nothing to do with their knowledge of the Brother sewing machine, then buy it from them. The repair person is "excellent" and those of us who have Brothers speak well of them. I made the mistake once in buying a machine from a really friendly, nice dealer. Turned out that dealer was a great quilter but really didn't care to learn about the machines being sold in the store. I was new to quilting and ended up buying the wrong machine for me..Buy where the dealer knows what's being sold, outside and inside, and can help you with questions. Don't lose something YOU want because you don't like the person selling it!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 AM

I don't have a Brother but would never buy a machine from a shop I didn't want to go back to or deal with. Never know when you might need help! I don't often have a problem with any of my machines but want to know that there is a dependable, knowledgeable and helpful staff that I can turn to. Life is too short to deal with difficult people if you have a choice. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 AM

I bought a Bernina online because I did not like the local dealer. When I needed some instructions on how to work it, I called another Bernina dealer about 40 minutes away and they gave me instructions. If I needed repairs, I would also go back to her as she has a wonderful reputation for repairing Berninas. I would buy your Brother anywhere I wanted and then call them for repairs if you need it. I have never needed repairs on my Bernina in the 7 years I've had it.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 AM

I would go with the local area store. If the service dept. is good, that means a lot. Unfortunately the service people need to have some training in customer service. The idea of purchasing from the owner or manager is a good idea if you don't feel comfortable with the other staff.

I purchased my Bernina locally when we lived in Ill. The classes were especially helpful after the purchase. Now I live in Wis. so I go to Brubakers in Owen/ Withee and this store is run by the Menonites. The have the best service for the best price. Sometimes you have to look around for great customer service.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 AM

if you have a preferred repairman i would buy online i bought mine from kenssewingcenter.com i think its from alabama and got free shipping and they have an excellent service dept mine had a tiny part that broke in shipment and i called and they mailed it out straight away it wasnt anything that stopped the machine from working but they had the best price on mine at the time. ive ordered other things from them too. i live in a small area in oklahoma the only place in our town to get a sewing machine is walmart and they had my machine there but the price was the same at kens and it came with more accessories so that was the better deal.
i love their service.
carla m
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 AM
sap

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I'm in the same situation with my only local Janome dealer. I really want to up grade but the management, sales and service dept leave much to be desired. I have been treated poorly every time I have gone in. They sell fabric also but I don't frequent there because of their attitude. The last time I went in to buy fabric because I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere else was the last straw for me. I found some fabric and took it to the cutting area. I had to go break up a chatting session among the staff to get my fabric cut. A "regular" came in and came to the employee that was cutting my fabric and wanted help finding fabrics to match the sample she brought in. The employee stopped cutting my fabric and went off with the other customer. I stood there for a good 7 minutes waiting. I finally just left without making a purchase. We are moving out of state within the next three years so I am just holding out.
that's when I'd contact corporate head quarters and tell them my story. wouldn't happen to me twice.