Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I will never buy cheap fabric again! >

I will never buy cheap fabric again!

I will never buy cheap fabric again!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 AM

I'm a fabric snob as well. In the late 1990's made a hand embroidered blocks quilt & used JoAnn fabric for the sashing & borders. The sashing/border fabric has since faded unevenly even though I have sheer drapes on the window in that bedroom. However, I made a larger appliqued quilt -using fabric shop quality fabric- that has been on the back of a sofa on my sun porch for years. I refold it occassionally & there has been no fading.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 AM

And then there's the question of how well will it wash, and after all your work, will it stand up to daily use! Thats why I only use good quality fabrics. Alot of work goes into quilts. Ask me how I know all this! LOL
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 AM

I'm also a fabric snob. After using a high quality fabric to make a quilt with, then going back to using some of my older fabrics or cheaper , there is no comparison. The difference is not worth the hassle & headache or the cheaper price. I want my works to last a lifetime and then some.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 AM

There is a real difference between fabric and if I'm going to put that much work into a quilt I want it to last and feel good when I'm done. The quality of fabric at the major chain stores is not anything I would put in a quilt. I always check the sale rack at any quilt store I shop at. It is not always evident where it is - usually in the back. If I can't find it I ask. The fabric there is usually fabrics that haven't sold well or the last bolt in a family of fabrics etc. Often times it will work for me.
Another reason I like shopping at a quilt shop is that the persons helping me have a passion for fabric and quilting and are excited about my project too and have good advice. I don't find that service at a chain store.
I also belong to a quilt guild where they have an exchange table. Members bring in fabric, books, magazines that they no longer want and others can take.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 AM

I don't feel you're being a snob. My dad always said "You get what you pay for." I believe him whole heartedly. There are rare times when you pay a lot and still get crap, but for the most part he was right with regards to that.

A friend made a rag quilt with material from a local chain and some of it has torn apart! I'm sure my children have been rougher than what her child was. You need to look for quality. You knew it and you were trying to accommodate your daughter. You can always get what you want, maybe just a little less of it, instead of the whole bolt!!! My guess is you already have a stash at home you can use to fill in any additional material you may need.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 AM

The interfacing is the best way to go, I agree, but from now on keep your daughter out of the fabric dept--or just totally out of Wal-mart and Joann. LOL

I've used a lot of Joann fabric, but you have to be fussy, and this might be a good time to start teaching your daughter what is good quality and what isn't.

This time you are just plain stuck. She will see it through her eyes, and won't see the troubles. Just the pretty print that she fell in love with. She won't see all the extra work that you will.

And we are here 24/7 for you.

Hang in there Mom.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 AM

Spray starch and light fusible this time to prevent the fabric from being so wiggly.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 AM

I also am a fabric snob. When I first started quilted my DH wanted a wedding ring quilt. It took me a long time to finish it, but I did. Unfortunately, I used some inexpensive fabric from Joanne's for the binding. After less than a year it started to wear away. Never again do I buy fabric for quilts from other than a lqs. Hard lesson learned. Some people have luck with cheaper fabric, but I didn't. Like MamaHen said, I want my quilts to last a lifetime.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 AM

Quality for me too, every time. Pride in a job well done rings my bell.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 AM

You absolutely don't sound like a snob. There's so much time invested in a quilt and we spend hours and hours trying to get everything as close to perfection as possible that it just doesn't make sense to make the process more difficult by buying cheap fabric unless you absolutely have no choice. And thee are bargains to be had out there. In the past year, three members of my quilt group have passed away or become to ill to continue quilting. Their entire stash--fabric, equipment and supplies--was offered for sale among our members. I'm a big advocate of groups and guilds anyway. You learn so much and have so many opportunities that you miss if you quilt solo. Thrift shops are also an excellent source of really nice fabric that, again, is the result of someone closing out their hobby. How does that saying go? "Life is too short to eat bad food and drink bad wine." It's too short to fight with cheap fabric too.