Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I will never buy cheap fabric again! >

I will never buy cheap fabric again!

I will never buy cheap fabric again!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Pellon Shapeflex 101 is a 100% cotton fusible interfacing that is lightweight and would work well with your problem. I have used it in pursemaking, garment making, and t-shirt quilts. I buy it by the bolt. ;-D
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Dix

This is a lesson I learned the hard way early in my quilting experience!!! Only the quilt shop fabric for me!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Starch it very heavily. Really does help
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieG View Post
I have bought inexpensive fabric countless times...have had issues if the fabric is thin and I didn't realize it before I bought it, but for the most part have not had problems...I just stay away from the polyester/cotton blends and stick to the cotton only....if you are on a fixed budget like I am (ie retired) it isn't always possible to by the more expensive fabrics and if I want to continue to quilt I have to make monetary cuts where I can.
Totally agree, you can find decent fabric lots of places, but you have to feel and look and see the quality, and being retired, LQS fabrics are above my income.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I found the same problems with the fat quarters my daughter picked out from JoAnn Fabrics. The fabric was very thin, frayed easily, and incredibly poor quality.
I agree. Their fat quarters are very thin fabric.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM

You are not a snob. I agree with you100%. I have used enough of those thin fabrics and gone through enough frustration to cause several hairs to go completely grey to also state I'm sticking with the good stuff from now on too. I just completed a little skirt for my GD. It is with licensed fabric with a very popular character. I ended up doubling up on the fabric as it was so thin and see-through I didn't think it would make it through another washing after giving it to her. I used a Northcott fabric with no issues on another layer of the skirt and it is as thick as those 2 layers of the licensed fabric put together. I too bought and used it because she loves the character on it. With the nasty fraying edges I ended up using my serger, a pinking blade, and Fray-Block. We aren't snobs. We know what works for us. Some things aren't worth the frustration.
I do not use starch on any clothing items I make. Even with washing the fabric first, I cannot add anything that may cause an allergic reaction.

Last edited by NanaCsews2; 04-11-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM

I've noticed the problem you mention with precuts at more than one shop. The only jelly rolls I've found that I was satisfied with have been the batiks. Because of the way they are dyed the thread count on batiks is denser so they are automatically of better quality than the other precuts. I did find some excellent holiday prints in FQ at Walmart, however some of the other FQ were what I would call sleazy. You just have to check out each one.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM

I've used the lightweight interfacing, especially if I'm dealing with a light fabric. White and off white are my bug-a-boos. I hate it when you can see the seams, so unless I've got great white (or light) fabric, I usually end up interfacing it. But of course, that costs more. You may as well buy the good stuff than pay double to use a fabric. IMHO.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM

There are soooooooooooooo many places on the internet to buy top quality fabric at deep discounts nobody should ever have to put up with poor quality fabric!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 AM

I agree! One of My first quilts, a log cabin, was made entirely from Walmart fabric. I donated it for a raffle. It was the wonkiest log cabin block!! BUT the winner of that quilt still loves it 7 years later! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! It has held together but I learned a valuable lesson in regard to good fabric vs. lower quality. I have not attempted a log cabin since ! LOL!
Sandy