Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you couldn't buy anymore------ >

If you couldn't buy anymore------

If you couldn't buy anymore------

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM

I'd definitely say over 100 quilts.
I've already shoved everything off the dining room table so I can sew and watch tv with everyone else, besides my dedicated sewing area.
Don't need to buy plain sewing thread for at least 5 years!!
Embellishments could turn out to be a nice investigative journey, but mostly I have what I need forever.
Hm, if the 'lectric went out, I'd have to go back to all-by-hand or wrangle someone out of a treadle. Which sadly I don't have.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Wow what a depressing concept- not to be able to add to THE stash !!. Major withdrawals, plus think about how that might effect the economy!

I would have enough to last until I can no longer see to quilt- which body cooperating would be in 20 ++ ++ years. I would have a problem with batting though, don't keep alot around and no longer have any blanket-sheets to use in place of it. Patterns- between books and printing off the internet I have enough patterns to never use more than 2 out of the same book during those 20++ years. Course that would depend on how many quilts per month I start making after I retire in about 8 years. For now the rate of production isn't that fast. I love scrap quilts - especially made with PPTs - so could stretch my stash out for quite sometime.

Do you realize how it would effect this blog, we all would quit looking at shared pictures because we would want the color combos others were using and alas we couldn't get them.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
I don't really have a stash of yardage or fat quarters, but I do have a stash of UFOs. My UFOs (Un-Finished Objects) are out of control. Quite honestly, I have no business starting any new projects....EVER. I could work out of my UFO stash for years.

A year ago in January, some of our guild members formed a "Finishing Bee." Those who joined would be required to make a list of their top ten unfinished projects to work on during the year. I intended to join the group, and also, since we had just moved, I took the opportunity to write down all of my quilting projects in whatever stage of progress, just to see what the damage was. There were 62 projects. That didn't include pincushions, aprons, bags, skirts, or any of my daughters' UFOs. I finished several projects during the year, but now my list has grown to 71. That includes 17 quilt tops waiting for the quilter (me) to get to them, 24 projects that have some piecing or applique' finished, 23 projects that are assembled into kits with the fabric and pattern ready to go, and seven projects that are just ideas or wishes or dreams (WHIMMs: work hidden in my mind). I'm not including the 13 other little embroidery and sewing projects.

I am 50 years old. I figure I have enough projects to last me for at least the next 15 years. But I really doubt if my list will ever go down, even if I make all of these. I think I may have Quilter's ADD. If I start a new project, I can almost guarantee I won't finish it before something else catches my eye! I can't help it! I want to make everything!

Do you think this is a disease? Is there a cure? Do I want to be healed? The very best cure, of course, is quilting with friends!!
I like that term - Quilter's ADD, wonder if I could get my pcp to submit that to my insurance as a justification to get a massage when my I've spent most of my awake hours at my sewing machine. hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

I could make a small quilt. Penny
Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 PM

I'd be in a psych unit blubbering and twitching because of with drawl. Don't like to even entertain the thought of never buying more fabric! :evil: :twisted: :oops: :oops:
Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by martha jo
I'm ashamed to tell you how much fabric I have but have you ever heard of rental storage - I have. One is totally full of rubbermaid tubs of fabric. I know I have an illness.
Just curious -- Do you ever go to your rental storage to search for fabric, or does it just stay there?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 AM

My stash will probably last longer than me. When I first started sewing I had very little money so had to make do. I'm lucky now but I can remember making a devil halloween costume and stuffing the devil ears with dryer fluff because I could not afford stuffing.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by martha jo
I'm ashamed to tell you how much fabric I have but have you ever heard of rental storage - I have. One is totally full of rubbermaid tubs of fabric. I know I have an illness.
Oh Martha Jo ... I can so relate as I did that with beads (well not the rental storage part ... but I was so addicted to beads).

Have you thought of going through your rental storage and make getting rid of fabric you don't like?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 AM

I would be set for life. I find I have stashed fabrics everywhere in my house. We are thinking of moving in the next 2 years so I guess I will find out what all I have and where it is.
As for patterns I have a darling husband that purchases me quilting mags. almost weekly. Plus he remembers what I have and doesn't like to duplicate them. My problem is I have so many patterns I like but I keep going back to hexagons. Something I am used to and like.
Anyone interested in some quilting mags?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Probably 50 quilts or so. I have a small room as a sewing room so it prevents me from stockpiling too much. Although I have to say that some of it is making its way to the garage now. I went to an estate sale recently of a woman who had fabric in every room, including the garage. They were all full and it was all quilt shop quality. I started to mentally tally up how much money was in there. YIKES!! Kinda scared me straight. The only think I am kind of short on are backs. But I guess I could piece them if I had to. So, StitchinWitch, do you know something we don't know?