Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you couldn't buy anymore------ >

If you couldn't buy anymore------

If you couldn't buy anymore------

Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
I would be set for life. I find I have stashed fabrics everywhere in my house. We are thinking of moving in the next 2 years so I guess I will find out what all I have and where it is.
As for patterns I have a darling husband that purchases me quilting mags. almost weekly. Plus he remembers what I have and doesn't like to duplicate them. My problem is I have so many patterns I like but I keep going back to hexagons. Something I am used to and like.
Anyone interested in some quilting mags?
Don't tempt me ... I'm such a newbie ... I wouldn't be able to do half of what's in those magazines ... I looked through a few ... they scared me so bad ... I didn't purchase them ... as I was afraid I couldn't do them :D
Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Probably 50 quilts or so. I have a small room as a sewing room so it prevents me from stockpiling too much. Although I have to say that some of it is making its way to the garage now. I went to an estate sale recently of a woman who had fabric in every room, including the garage. They were all full and it was all quilt shop quality. I started to mentally tally up how much money was in there. YIKES!! Kinda scared me straight. The only think I am kind of short on are backs. But I guess I could piece them if I had to. So, StitchinWitch, do you know something we don't know?

I wish I could get lucky and find a big stash of material like that ... I'd be in hog heaven :D
Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM

to paraphrase scarlett o'hara: i'll never be cold anymore. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM

I think that I have enough fabric to cover the state of Rhode Island.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM

True, me too. I love to look through them. I dream of being able to make those quilts but my ability is not up to that level. Like looking at a cookbook and wanting to make gourmet recipes. I don't have the ability.

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
I would be set for life. I find I have stashed fabrics everywhere in my house. We are thinking of moving in the next 2 years so I guess I will find out what all I have and where it is.
As for patterns I have a darling husband that purchases me quilting mags. almost weekly. Plus he remembers what I have and doesn't like to duplicate them. My problem is I have so many patterns I like but I keep going back to hexagons. Something I am used to and like.
Anyone interested in some quilting mags?
Don't tempt me ... I'm such a newbie ... I wouldn't be able to do half of what's in those magazines ... I looked through a few ... they scared me so bad ... I didn't purchase them ... as I was afraid I couldn't do them :D
Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 PM

i have a "decent" stash, depending on if you ask me or if you ask dh...

my dd & ddil have already called dibbs on several of the fabrics in my stash...i pulled one out last week, and it had a piece of paper w/my dd name on it...that's how i found out...

now i know why they encourage me when we go on a shop hop to buy, buy. buy...cause they're building their future stash!!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
i have a "decent" stash, depending on if you ask me or if you ask dh...

my dd & ddil have already called dibbs on several of the fabrics in my stash...i pulled one out last week, and it had a piece of paper w/my dd name on it...that's how i found out...

now i know why they encourage me when we go on a shop hop to buy, buy. buy...cause they're building their future stash!!
I have the opposite problem I am going to have to be buried with mine because my kids will throw it away as soon as they can.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:46 PM

I mentioned in "Main" section about having some old "The Workbasket" magazines. There was an article about a lady who embroideried on her machine.

Later in that same article it mentioned that she mended silks and woolens on her machine,,,,,using human hair!

She used it for frayed material, snags, moth holes, etc, tying the ends together like you would any sewing thread. Evidently, if you are patient enough, you can have enough "thread" to put on a bobbin and use it on your sewing machine. No attachment is used, feed lowered, and you can weave by moving the cloth back and forth.

Don't know if that will work on our modern machines or not, but if so, this is an answer to the thread problem....
Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Interesting thread. I would never have to buy fabric. I could even use fabric as batting and never run out. I think I'm pretty good on thread and I know I'm good for patterns. I have over 150 pairs of scissors so even if my rotary got dull I could use scissors. Have I stopped buying fabric...............maybe I'll double check my stash before I buy again.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM

If I didn't buy any more I could quilt forever. I use a hollow core door I put 2 end to end and where the knob went I run the cord down.I finished them off with high gloss paint. It has worked for 2 yrs. now.