Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you couldn't buy anymore------ >
  • If you couldn't buy anymore------

• If you couldn't buy anymore------

Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM

I know it's taken ya'll a long time to compile this stash ... maybe someday I'll have that much too :D
    Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM
    Banned

I don't really have a stash of yardage or fat quarters, but I do have a stash of UFOs. My UFOs (Un-Finished Objects) are out of control. Quite honestly, I have no business starting any new projects....EVER. I could work out of my UFO stash for years.

A year ago in January, some of our guild members formed a "Finishing Bee." Those who joined would be required to make a list of their top ten unfinished projects to work on during the year. I intended to join the group, and also, since we had just moved, I took the opportunity to write down all of my quilting projects in whatever stage of progress, just to see what the damage was. There were 62 projects. That didn't include pincushions, aprons, bags, skirts, or any of my daughters' UFOs. I finished several projects during the year, but now my list has grown to 71. That includes 17 quilt tops waiting for the quilter (me) to get to them, 24 projects that have some piecing or applique' finished, 23 projects that are assembled into kits with the fabric and pattern ready to go, and seven projects that are just ideas or wishes or dreams (WHIMMs: work hidden in my mind). I'm not including the 13 other little embroidery and sewing projects.

I am 50 years old. I figure I have enough projects to last me for at least the next 15 years. But I really doubt if my list will ever go down, even if I make all of these. I think I may have Quilter's ADD. If I start a new project, I can almost guarantee I won't finish it before something else catches my eye! I can't help it! I want to make everything!

Do you think this is a disease? Is there a cure? Do I want to be healed? The very best cure, of course, is quilting with friends!!
    Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Don't feel bad I feel I have quilters ADD as well as I've seen so many things I want to do and bought fabric for some of it :)
    Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM

I probably have enough material to last a good many years, but I would run out of batting and good thread pretty quickly. I do have lots of old thread my mother left but I would only use that in an emergancy.
    Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM

Well, that would depend on the quilt size now wouldn't it?
    If we're talking baby quilts, I have NO idea, same thing for crib, now if we're talking King size, I still have no idea but the stash is big enough to keep me busy for at least the next 10-15 years, probably longer. And that would only be if I keep a good steady pace and quilt at least 40 hours a week.
    Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 PM

I am already there it seems like. During the Winter I finished my UFOs. I am now in the process of getting them all quilted either by long arm, FMQ, or hand quilting. I might even try tying. I am a finisher and early on in my quilting career I started a list of UFOs and added names of receipients to help keep me focused. I have trouble creating my own patterns so my quilts are mostly kits. My stash is probably small compared to others. Eventhoug I have been using my stash to finish my UFOs it doesn't look like I am making a big dent. I think I can find substitutes for everything except for threads. Does anyone have substitutes for threads? I am a city gal so no fishing lines exist in this house.
    Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM

I was feeling a little bit quilty about having a BIG stash, but see that you can't be a quilter if you don't love fabric.
    I will have to live many more years to use up mine,
    but I am not about to stop buying.
    Especially when I see something I like.
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM

I'd be able to do one project - I bought a black/white print FQ "bundle" for a sweatshirt jacket, but that's all I have so far.
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by scrap_lover09
    Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Originally Posted by justme
    :idea: I'd have someone else buy it for me... :lol:
    haha - no no no - that would NOT be allowed! You are are pretty well "stashed up" I see and some of you are very creative regarding finding patterns. Would you be going back to using scissors cause your rotery cutter would be worn out? I would definitely be lost from not being able to buy the latest gadgets! but - when one comes down to it - do we really NEED them? 100 years ago they didn't even have ANYTHING that we have today and they made beautiful quilts that we still cherish!

I think i would find a way to sharpen my rotery blade. I would find a rock or something and do it caveman style what ever worked...cut everything with a scissors are you crazy...lol I would never get all that fabric used...lol.
    yOU COLD USE A VERY FINE SAND PAPER.AN IF I could use like the stuff ICOULD USE UP ALLTHE BATTING TTA FRIEND GAVE
    IT'S WHAT THEY PUT IN FUTON MATRIECES A IT'S ABOUT AN INCH THICK.YOU KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE ONE OF THEM ON YOUR BECAUSE YOU HAVEONE VERY WARM BLANKET WITH ALL THAT STUFF IN IT .LOVE AN HAPPY STITCHJINGLOVE YA MOUSIE

i
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    I am 50 years old. I figure I have enough projects to last me for at least the next 15 years. But I really doubt if my list will ever go down, even if I make all of these. I think I may have Quilter's ADD. If I start a new project, I can almost guarantee I won't finish it before something else catches my eye! I can't help it! I want to make everything!

Do you think this is a disease? Is there a cure? Do I want to be healed? The very best cure, of course, is quilting with friends!!
    I did not know the name of the disease that I have. Quilter's ADD, thank you for giving it a name :lol:
    As I am over 50 I keep telling my husband I will make a list of what to do with my machines and fabric, etc...