Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you couldn't buy anymore------ >

If you couldn't buy anymore------

If you couldn't buy anymore------

Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 AM

I could probably open a small shop with everything I have. After I finish the baby quilt I'm working on, will be using up 2 1/2" strips for some scrappy quilts.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM

I would guess that 3,000+ yards of fabric will yield maybe 300 quilts. I have plenty of patterns, too! But.......I could NEVER not buy more fabric! There is always something new to fall in love with!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Stitchinwitch, my utility room is 8 ft wide and 2 walls are shelving floor to ceiling. I also have wools and home dec fabric in a large closet. It is almost full, no clothes. I also have kits I have put together for quilts which I haven't gotten to yet. I have no idea how many pieces of fabric I have, or how many quilts they would make. At 70 yrs old I'm sure I don't NEED to buy more fabric but I sure do want to. I love to make scrap quilts and usually end up with what I consider a really UGLY fabric in each one. Every scrap has a home in some quilt!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM

I have enough quilts cut out ready to work on to do me for a few years. I have lots of fabric and intend to buy LOTS more. My daughter would think my half-times has gone full force.........
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I think I would run out of fabrics before the thread ran out. As far as patterns go, I really don't follow them anyway. I like to use my own ideas. If I did run out of fabric I have plenty of sheets to use in place of it.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM

*is in a state of shock* I probably have enough material to make two twin size quilt tops ONLY ... not enough thread ...

I'm really like ... in awe of the stock ... I'll never be able to obtain that much ...

All I got to say is ... if you all are throwing/giving/passing on ... I'm willing to take home any orphan stash ;) :D
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM

[quote=QBeth]
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I'm a fairly new quilter and I have never bought anything without a specific purpose. I don't want to invest too much money in a hobby that I may get tired of.
I think if you stay in it very long, you wont want to quit.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
If you had to rely ONLY on your stash, and could NEVER buy anymore quilt related or sewing related treasures anymore, How many quilts could you make? Also, for notions or other supplies, how would you "substitute" household things for what you would normally buy? Like - you need a bigger sewing table - what would you use that you already have at home? New patterns - could you see a design in flooring, or a scene out the window, etc? You get the idea!
This is a wonderful thread and the replies are so entertaining. I would manage for about 3 years. By the way who has the biggest stash?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 AM

I could make well over a hundred crib, lap or twin sized quilts with the fabric and thread I have on hand. Because I usually make funky scrap quilts, I could probably make even more. Have a good quantity of thread but batting might be a problem although old blankets and multi layers of fabric (out grown clothes, etc.) could be substituted if it became necessary in a pinch. Rarely use actual patterns as I usually wing it but have enough books and magazines on hand for inspiration to supply the entire neighborhood. Good supply of needles, rulers and multiple rotary cutters although the supply of new blades (know I have some but can never remember where I put the extras) would mean I'd have to resort to using scissors, of which I have dozens.
*Reminder to myself: Lay in a good supply of batting; get scissors sharpened; buy more rotary cutting blades (all three sizes) and hang in a prominent place.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM

I would be able to quilt the rest of my life and my kids are still going to have to throw a lot of it away. My problem is batting, I don't have any batting. I usually buy as I do a quilt, buy bigger than I need, cut careful and have enough left over for some fairly good sized lap quilts, that is of course if I am working on full and larger. My sewing friend, who by the way has sewn all her life finally admitted I had more fabric than her. Thats scary. lol.