Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Your Machine Could Talk >

If Your Machine Could Talk

If Your Machine Could Talk

Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Apologies to A. A. Milne... my machine inspires a certain poetry...

What is the matter with Mary Jane?
She's shredding with all her might and main,
I've promised her needles and
and shop repair - all in vain -

She won't sew a stitch that won't have to be ripped...

She's run perfectly well and she hasn't a pain,
And it's lovely metallic for dinner again!

~That's It I Quilt
Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM

My little Janome would be hollaring ‘It’s about time you cleaned my bobbin case and how about a new needle since you gummed me all up on that Velcro!’ My bigger Brother would be saying ‘Can’t we make another design? I’ve made this one a dozen times already! After all, I am a diva, you know.....’
Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Let's see, my broken PC420 would be saying, "you removed my feed dogs so you could use me for fmq without changing feet on newby PC420, but instead you've stuck me in my case and set me in the hall-- what gives???"

Newby PC420 would be saying- "you've got me all set up to do some fancy stitching and even learned how to use that overcasting foot for the rattail binding, so why are you not playing with me???"

Vintage VX560 would be saying- "I'm all set up and ready to sew some more of those clothesline baskets and placemats that you promised to make for your mom, stop playing with the Sweet Sixteen and pay attention to me..."

Vintage Kenmore 158.1914 (now residing under the guest bed)- "was it something I did???"

Vintage White 970Selectronic (displayed on the nightstand in the guest bedroom)-"okay, so I know I'm pretty, but there's more to me than just my looks"

1955 Featherweight- "hey, let me out of here, I'm bored and it's dark in this rolling case..."

Brother PQ1500s- "you know, if you're going to be doing all that quilting on the Sweet Sixteen then you ought to go ahead and put my quarter inch foot back on and finish up piecing ORL..."

Sweet Sixteen- "you've already put nearly as many stitches on me in 2 months as my previous owner did in 4 years-- I may have to put in a complaint with my union rep..."

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 04-27-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Forgot the featherweight..oops
Old 04-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Ryder......what does the quarter inch foot look like? I think I've been using the wrong foot for 10+ years! Can you shoot a quick picture! (for the Brother PQ1500s). Yikes, I'm not even going to say what my machine is probably saying right now!
Old 04-29-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
Ryder......what does the quarter inch foot look like? I think I've been using the wrong foot for 10+ years! Can you shoot a quick picture! (for the Brother PQ1500s). Yikes, I'm not even going to say what my machine is probably saying right now!
Hey NoraB,
Here's a photo of the quarter inch foot that came with my PQ1500s-- I bought my PQ1500s secondhand, so the foot may not have been included originally when the machine was bought new. It's a nice foot, but I find that I often use the very inside edge of the line that's etched on my needle plate to get a nice scant quarter inch seam. Sometimes if I use the edge of the foot I think the seam ends up being a full quarter inch instead of a scant.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_2001.jpg  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:50 PM

RRYDER, thanks for posting the pic of the quarter inch foot. That's the exact one I've been using....so yippee...I was correct! I think I saw something on a post or a you tube where they were using a narrower foot with one side a different length. So, that's what got me wondering. Thanks for clarifying it for me! Nora
Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
RRYDER, thanks for posting the pic of the quarter inch foot. That's the exact one I've been using....so yippee...I was correct! I think I saw something on a post or a you tube where they were using a narrower foot with one side a different length. So, that's what got me wondering. Thanks for clarifying it for me! Nora
Nora what you saw was a standard straight stitch foot. It has a narrow side and a wider side with one side longer than the other. The wider side is 1/4".

Cari
Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 AM

Thank you both for the information. I'm thinking as a quilter, I'd probably not use the standard straight stitch foot? Maybe for putting zippers in and that kind of stuff? Don't you love that machine? I sure do.....a work horse!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:17 AM

Mine would say its the weekend don't I get a day off lolol