Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
illegal knockoffs sold in Walmart?! (Alleged - Not Proved) >

illegal knockoffs sold in Walmart?! (Alleged - Not Proved)

illegal knockoffs sold in Walmart?! (Alleged - Not Proved)

Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I read that. I just heard last week from Moda rep that they sell to walmart too but under names like Cranston. I was surprised too. ALso Quilting treasures sells them fabrisc under a psedonym. That would explain the mix up. I would like to see how this ends.
Just like with appliances and other things. Sears kenmore appliances used to be whirlpool, kenmore sewing machines were singers, etc. (might be different manufacturers now...not sure) And there are generic foods and medicines. Manufacturers supply the brand name products as well as the generic or specific store brands.

We used to sell carpeting in my mom's drapery store. There were 2 grades available. Looked identical but the quality was much different and of course the price. They try to make something available in many price ranges. Sadly when we bought the carpet for our house now the store showed me the high quality and installed the lower quality. I raised a stink but got nowhere with them. But, I do tell everyone I know how they screwed us! That'll teach em ;)

I get tired of Walmart being blamed for all the world's woes.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Not only do they sell using a psuedomn(spelling?), they also sell their mistakes to the chainstores, Northcott was famous for that and maybe still is. I was told by a fabric rep that they can and do sell inferior fabric to chain stores, who in turn sell it for less than cost... any wonder the little LQS has such a hard time staying in business. We can't blame Walmart for everything, after all, someone is selling it to them first!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 AM

Interesting.....hope we learn the final decision.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 AM

Honestly, it is not Walmart's fault... it is the manufacturer of the knock-off fabric that is to be faulted. Walmart cannot check each piece of fabric to ensure that it is copyright infringement free. That is the job of the manufacturer that sells it to Walmart.

I cannot imagine, unless it is some scary place in China, that someone did not get permission to mass produce a fabric that looks so similar to Tula Pink's fabric. I do agree that someone didn't tell her because she SOLD her design to Moda and it became property of Moda.

Her tirade does make quilters who use Walmart fabric look pretty pathetic though. Birdcage lining, indeed. I rarely use Walmart fabric (unless I am making a bag or pillowcase), but when I first started quilting I did... because I didn't know better and because I couldn't afford better.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 AM
JJs
Banned

speaking of walmart fabric - some really good stuff has been sneaking in there! and at a dollar a yard it's a 'steal'... especially for quilt backs...

I love getting RJR, Red Rooster, Moda, Windham, etc at the markdown places online and in person, but I also buy the GOOD dollar stuff at wm.....

paying 10 to 13 a yard doesn't guarantee a great quilt - it just means you had to have "the best" at the highest price going...
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I read that. I just heard last week from Moda rep that they sell to walmart too but under names like Cranston. I was surprised too. ALso Quilting treasures sells them fabrisc under a psedonym. That would explain the mix up. I would like to see how this ends.
Huh? Moda and Cranston are completely different companies. No relationship to each other at all. It doesn't make any sense that one company would put a different company's brand on their own fabric.

Quilting Treasures and VIP are both brands made by Cranston, though, so those two names *do* go together.

Count me in as baffled...
Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 AM

If people didn't shop WM, they too would go out of business. Ever been in one that was empty. When I taught some quilt classes, I always started out saying: Buy the best you can afford. Not everyone can affor $10+/yd for cotton. I don't shop LQS anymore b/c I refuse and can't afford to pay that much for fabric. I also don't shop WM or Joann's. I buy sales on line and yard sales.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 AM

I guess this is why we have a choice as to where we purchase our fabric. If I like it I am going to buy it where-ever...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 AM

I found this: Discount Quilting Fabric by Cranston VIP

Cranston Fabrics has a special place in the textile industry. Founded in 1824, Cranston has been at the forefront of fabric design and printing ever since.

J & O is interested in bringing our customers the finest discount quilting fabrics available. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that we've brought in more and more Cranston fabrics. Although produced under names such as Quilting Treasures and VIP, Cranston's fabrics immediately distinguish themselves.

I found this interesting that a Co. this old would take chances with their reputation. I think it is some Co.in china doing it as they don't recognize our patents and copyrights.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:55 AM

just about everything is being copied in China and there is not much US companies can do about it.
I read a blog by an artist who paints very distinctive paintings, found the same ones selling on Ebay by a chinese artist.