Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm convinced, my machine hates cotton :'( >

I'm convinced, my machine hates cotton :'(

I'm convinced, my machine hates cotton :'(

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM

Superior Threads makes several of the lines that have been mentioned. They're wonderful to deal with and will help you any way they can. Masterpiece, King Tut, Bottom Line for bobbins, etc. all great threads.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM

I had someone tell me who uses both Janome and Bernina, that the Janome is geared different and the right to left sewing can cause a problem. I know the 1600 is for speed but perhaps slowing down a mite when changing directions would help too.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 AM

My machine may be different from yours. I have the 1600DBX and I bought a "lifetime" supply of DB Organ needles, 90/14. While the machine was on the frame, I had no thread or sewing problems, but I had to give up my frame space; I then set the machine up on a large corner table to do only FMQ. I kept having thread problems and couldn't resolve the issue; I finally ordered a Janome 6300. It was only after the 6300 had shipped that I played with the stitch length knob on the 1600; I had put it on "0" as you can normally do with any machine when you FMQ. That was the problem with the 1600 and it worked fine after I put the stitch length to 3. Now I have stored the 1600 along with the frame parts and hope that someday I will be able to have my frame space back. I can then use both machines, having 2 different machine quilting projects going.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 AM

Default Try using a Inspira topstitch needle.

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
I have a Janome 1600P and I am seriously staring to hate it :'( I've had soo many thread problems I want to cry, the most annoying and stressful thing is it breaks thread like crazy! as I am making a pass across my quilt I swear it will fray/snap the thread 3 times before I make it to the end . My tension is just right so there are no peeps. I've tried Superior thread and Tri-lock thread they both do the snap thing! agh! when I am doing a cotton quilt...but I will be darned if every time I make a flannel little baby blanket I can use whatever brand thread I want and it won't snap once! agh, my machine must hate cotton I have also used coats & clark and it seems to do ok with that but I can't find spools big enough because I don't want to buy a thousand little spools just to do one quilt I am soo tired of this machine...does anyone recommend another brand mid-arm quilting machine because I don't know how much longer I can stand having this machine in my house :'(
The Inspira topstitch needles take care of a lot of thread shredding problems - the eyes are huge! I've used King Tut with a 90/14 topstitch needle with no problem. I have a Viking MegaQuilter (same as your Janome) on the original Inspira frame and never have fraying problems. They're available from Viking dealers or your dealer may have them.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM

Default suzyquilter

I have a Janome 1600P and I am seriously staring to hate it :'( I've had soo many thread problems I want to cry, the most annoying and stressful thing is it breaks thread like crazy! as I am making a pass across my quilt I swear it will fray/snap the thread 3 times before I make it to the end . My tension is just right so there are no peeps. I've tried Superior thread and Tri-lock thread they both do the snap thing! agh! when I am doing a cotton quilt...but I will be darned if every time I make a flannel little baby blanket I can use whatever brand thread I want and it won't snap once! agh, my machine must hate cotton I have also used coats & clark and it seems to do ok with that but I can't find spools big enough because I don't want to buy a thousand little spools just to do one quilt I am soo tired of this machine...does anyone recommend another brand mid-arm quilting machine because I don't know how much longer I can stand having this machine in my house :'(
Have you tried to change your needle? I've found that either a metalic needle or a top stitch really help with the thread shreding and breaking problem.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I had that happen to me once. It was caused by a burr on my foot. I took my foot off and used my fingernail file, filed around where the burr was ( caused by a needle hitting the foot a couple of times ), smoothed out the sharp edges. I checked out all the other feet and they were ok, I also filed around the plate where the needle enters, this cleared up the breakage of the thread.
Take a q-tip and swab slowly around the area that might have a burr and watch for any pulling of the cotton on the swab, feet, plate, bobbin area, etc.
go to your local hardware store and ask for a sheet of crocus cloth...it is like sand paper but on a very flexible backing, almost fabric......you can rip a very skinny strip of it and use that to clean burrs off the foot, bobbin, thread leaders or wherever....just a few up/down movements will make all smooth again. Maybe your needle has a burr....try another one...or it is not in fully or twisted just a hair....could make a world of difference!!!! It is not that your machine does not like all threads, you must find out what it is trying to tell you so that it will sew with all threads you give it!!!!!! Let us know.....
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Yep I have a bunch of the 90/14 topstitch needles and have tried new ones of those and it still has the breaking problem. I may have to try the crocus cloth and see if that helps. I am also going to try that stitch length and put that on 3...hope it helps Thanks everyone!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Without any reservation, see your local Bernina dealer. Your problem will be solved.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Maybe you'll come back and read over this thread--your needle breaking the thread problem--I have a Gammill, and recently we had a problem with the thread breaking, breaking, breaking--and someone suggested spritzing it with water. We tried that, and it worked. Just a spritz on your spool of thread.....
Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Ok another weird thing, I can make a pass going left to right and it won't even break a thread....but when I got for the right to the left going back to the other end it will snap it 4 times! I'm at a loss. :'(
Are you talking about longarm quilting - freeemotion or panto, or DM....it has something to do with moving faster than the machine can make the stitch...have you tried slowing down a bit? By going too fast causing the needle to flex and thus snap the thread.........