Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm lost! >

I'm lost!

I'm lost!

Old 12-24-2009, 10:16 AM

I really appreciate these sites. I crochet and quilt okay , but have always wanted to knit. I did once and it looked like the moth had a picnic when I finished becasue I had dropped so many stitches :lol: I do want to learn. These videos are so helpful, that is how I learned to paper piece and to do piping. The beauty is that the 'course' is free and you can watch it in your PJ's.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I also love do do many kinds of needlework but being left handed is terrible. I can knit right-handed but my crochet is backwards-front side is back side- so I dont do much of it. I love embroidery and counted cross stitch. Tatting is another curse for the left handed. I have tried many times even went to class but just couldnt do it. I love being busy.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
thanks for the link! I'm trying to find someone close to me who knows how to knit but so far I'm striking out! So I found a video and am hoping that I can pick it up that way.
Where is SC are you?
Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Have any of you tried to use those plastic looms for knitting? They are great once you get the hang of it -- I taught myself to knit the basic stitches which knitting needles. The site I went to said that the continental method was faster and more efficient than the English style so I learned the continental. Well, it turns out that I am one of the few that use that method and it's hard for me to get any one to help me when I get stuck! I enrolled for a sock knitting class because it said that all I needed to know were the basic stitches...I didn't know that I would also need to use 5 needles at the same time --- arrrgggh! By the time the 2nd part of the class rolled around I still couldn't get the needles straight and so that was a flop. Then a group is knitting hats and scarves for the soldiers and suggested the looms. And yeah! It didn't take long to get the hang of it and I didn't feel like a total failure! I try to spend most of my time quilting but dh likes for me to be with him watching tv and I need to concentrate on what I am working on and so the loom knitting is a compromise!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
Originally Posted by ginnie6
thanks for the link! I'm trying to find someone close to me who knows how to knit but so far I'm striking out! So I found a video and am hoping that I can pick it up that way.
Where is SC are you?
I'm just below Charlotte, NC. There are places I could take a class but I'd rather find someone to show me one on one.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Don't give up. Like sewing, it takes practice. I am left handed and had to teach myself how to knit and crochet. Conquered both.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 PM

I learned to knit as a child, then when I went to college I bought a kit for argyle socks on four needles and the rest is history. I have made socks for every one in my family over time. Then I got into quilting but still keep some kind of knitting project around in case there is a slack in the quilting. Have to have something to do while in front of the TV in the evening. Never could get the hang of crochet. I used to embroieder but now use my machine for that.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Long ago I started knitting and was doing a sweater as no one told me that a left handed should stick to potholders and afgans since the edging of the sweater (the pretty fancy stitched ) should have been on the other side and would never be worn
Old 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM

You sound like me. I have taken knitting classes and still can't get the hang of it. Love crochet, quilt & sew.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 PM

You aren't the only one that can't knit. Within a few minutes my needles are about 3 inches apart. I can't see well enough to embroider but I do enjoy quilting and crocheting. I quilt at night, with a strong lamp. I crochet while we travel. I make scarves for mission, at church. Some go to the grade school, some to the food pantry and some to a Methodist home. When I had used up all of my yarn scraps and those of everyone I know, I ran out. So I put an artical in our monthly paper. I live near a town of 2000. I asked for yarn and got enough to last me several years. Last year I made over 100. No one wants to through out their left over yarn. Keep trying to knit and have fun.