Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm In Shock...

Another thought - was it 31" before you did the quilting or after? The quilting will also make a quilt shrink. I just did one that started at 51x66 and ended at 49x64.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Did you maybe wash it in hot water and/or over dry it in the dryer?
    Warm water and just one normal dryer cycle. I'm thinking it's the batting...
    :XD: Sorry about the srinking. I noticed that you have what looks writting on some of the blocks. Are you able to read the words? I think that the quilt looks great. Did you say what the size of the whole quilt is now? If you did sorry, but I think who ever gets it will love it. It's really pretty.

That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Another thought - was it 31" before you did the quilting or after? The quilting will also make a quilt shrink. I just did one that started at 51x66 and ended at 49x64.

a regular here
    I never pre-wash, and I never put my quilts in the dryer. Mine don't shrink. I feel that putting them in the dryer causes undue wear, shortening the life of a quilt. The heat of the dryer weakens the threads of the fabric so that it wears faster. With the work that is put into a quilt I don't want them to wear out any faster that normal love would cause.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    ...I've never had plain fabric shrink anywhere near 10%...
    I have! It was a solid royal blue Country Classics that I bought at JoAnns. Started at 45" wide... and after washing, it was 41" wide.

:-(

Also... Monk's cloth shrinks a LOT too. Not that you'd ever use it for a quilt, of course... but if you were going to use it for a throw of a certain size, that could be a problem.

What a pretty quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    31" after quilting. I measured it to cut the right length of binding. After washing it measures about 28.5". I can still read the scriptures just fine.

I'm getting used to it now. Really love the vintage look and feel. I'll just have to plan some extra size next time, to allow for shrinkage.

Thank you all for the compliments, too.

i just wanted to say it is a beautiful quilt. love the crinkle look

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I have never measured before and after washing. I love the look when the quilt shrinks some. It gives it an "old quilt" look that I really like.
    I do the same and for the same reason :-)

It's cute, no matter what size it is!

I've never had anything shrink that much no matter what batting I used. I know dense quilting will shrink it a little.

I love the quilt and the look that you got with the shrinkage. Thanks for the warning about the batting, though. I'm sure your friend won't mind that it's a bit smaller than you planned, since it has so much LOVE in it.

Warm and White is my preferred batting. I use it all the time. I never prewash my fabrics unless I buy some cheap, dark fabric and then I wash it. If it bleeds I don't use it. I have never had that much shrinkage using Warm and White. I get a little. But not much.

I love your quilt. I think it's beautiful and I'm sure whoever gets it will love it too. I use Warm and White all the time and love it.

I use Warm and Natural a lot and the last quilt made shrunk more than it ever has in the past. Usually, it is a small percentage. I thought there must be something different about the bolt of batting this came from. Maybe it is time to ask the company some questions.

Church Missionary Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-138597.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  77.0 KB

Sorry you are so disappointed. I like the crinkly look also. Do you have any of the fabrics leftover to wash to see if they are the culprit, measure before and after. I've never had Warm and Natural shrink and I would think Warm and White would shrink less since it's more processed.

Blog Entries
    I did this one time with a double wedding ring quilt. I had big plans for entering it in the quilt show. I told the lady what had happened to it because it was pre-registered. She said,"Oh, I'm sure it will be fine. that might make it look antiqueish. Well, it did. And I won 3rd place on it and it sold. So, don't worry abot it. Looks fine to me. Besides, they can always use it to place in a car seat or carrier.

I still think quilt is darling.

Blog Entries
    I like the look too...great job

I love the look all crinkly. I do not prewash anything just for that reason. Makes them look used and loved.

your quilt is beautiful always pre wash cotton fabrics they shrink an inch per yard on 100% cotton.

Blog Entries
    Is this flannel? I think is is more the fabric than the batting. The fabric now days comes from every where in the world. So washing is a good rule before cutting. Fannel I wash several time.

I love it. Just think of it as a perfect size for a baby. Better you washed it and it came out smaller, than the new mom. It's perfect, don't worry about it.

I'm using warm and white now and haven't noticed much shrinkage. The latest two quilts are for Quilts for Kids. I sure hope it doesn't shrink for them. I did wash them before I sent them. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I, too, love the crinkly look on quilts. As for shrinkage, I have always made baby quilts and afghans larger than the usual ones so that they can be used into the toddler stage. Generally, mine are no less than 42x42 or larger. If it shrinks, it won't be as bad.
    But your quilt is absolutely darling -- would love to have a big one in those colors!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast