Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I'm In Shock...

Oh, what a pretty quilt! I understand being upset about the shrinkage. I've had some things shrink nearly that much - I lost an INCH off of a 15" square doll quilt. Don't remember what batting it was.

I like the crinkled look, too.

My LQS owner said expect shrinkage of 3%.

BTW, assuming you've pre-shrunk your fabric, can you pre-shrink the batting so the quilt won't get all crinkly if the batting shrinks later?

It depends on the batting. They usually come with instructions for pre-shrinking.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    My LQS owner said expect shrinkage of 3%.

BTW, assuming you've pre-shrunk your fabric, can you pre-shrink the batting so the quilt won't get all crinkly if the batting shrinks later?

I love that look, although I have started washing fabric before piecing lately. I've never washed batting, didn't know there was a need to. Is that critical?

I buy warm & natural/white wholesale... this is what their site says about warm & white

The soft, natural cotton goes through a gentle mechanical cleaning to pick out cotton plant and seed remnants. The tiny plant particles that remain lend a special look to crafts when used as an exterior fabric and will not damage your fabric when used in your quilt. Shrinkage will be about 3% with your first washing. Many quilters prefer not to pre-wash to achieve the unique effect created by the slight shrinkage of the batting when the completed quilt is washed. Please follow these directions if you wish to pre-wash your batt:
    1.Hand wash in a basin or tub with a mild detergent. Do not agitate or spin in your washing machine.
    2.Soak for 20 minutes, then rinse several times.
    3.Squeeze water out. Rolling in a towel will help to remove excess water.
    4.Dry in a cool or warm dryer or allow to dry flat.
    Once quilted Warm & White cotton batting can be machine washed again and again without fear of separation or bunching.

Blog Entries
    Very nice job, and very pretty and delicate, just right for a precious baby.

Your quilt is quite lovely.

I had this happen with a small quilt that I made with pre-washed fabric so it is the batting that shrinks. Was a shocker when it came out of the dryer. But people seem to like them this way and sometimes so do I. I'm glad they don't all do it though. LOL.

I preshrink my batting to avoid that problem. I use Warm and Natural or Warma nd White for my quilts. I put it in the washer with hot water and let it soak till it is all wet and then just spin it out. Do not agitate. Then I put it in the dryer. after its' quilted and washed the first time, you will have that soft snuggle look of a quilt but without the large shrinkage that comes with that first washing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have never had any sinificant shrinkage with warm and natural. Im thinking the fabric is the culprit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Another thought - was it 31" before you did the quilting or after? The quilting will also make a quilt shrink. I just did one that started at 51x66 and ended at 49x64.
    I've discovered the same thing! If you think about the sheer logistics of what quilting does to the fabric by pulling it down and puffing it up, it makes sense.

I've actually had the opposite. I used Warm and Natural looking for a bit of shrinkage to get that soft crinkly look and the quilt I did even after washing stayed flat and crisp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I have never measured before and after washing. I love the look when the quilt shrinks some. It gives it an "old quilt" look that I really like.
    me too, and i never prewash.(except reds all and Batiks) i use Warm 'n Natural and Warm 'n White.. love the wy they look when finished.

i have never measured a quilt after i washed and dried it.

Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    Is this flannel? I think is is more the fabric than the batting. The fabric now days comes from every where in the world. So washing is a good rule before cutting. Fannel I wash several time.
    Why wash it several times? Will it shrink more each time?

I never prewash fabric or batting as I love the crinkled antique look.

Kas
    I have also noticed that with the W & W the crinkles flatten out a bit after using the quilt for a while.

I recently went to Quilter's Dream batting just for that reason.
    I've had good luck with washing small quilts when I use the Quilters Dream batting. But, I do use retayne first in hot water to
    make the fabric colorfast, then I do a very short wash cycle in cold water with woolite. It's extra work, but the quilts keep their color and size. M.E.

i always use warm and white or natural , and i pre wash all my fabric andf i have never hadf that much shrinkage, im thinking if you didnt pre wash your fabric that contributed to more shrinkage

Hate to say it cuz I'll be cursed......but I never prewash fabric or batting (can't even understand the thought of washing batting) have never had problems in the many years I've been quilting. I do wash after the quilt is completed.

Also only use Quilter Dream and swear by it! I love the antique look and love the crinkles also.

I think your quilt is beautiful as it is and the perfect size for a baby quilt. Could it be a big bigger...yes....but it's fine just as it is....remember the baby isn't all that big and many times get swallowed up in a bigger quilt.

I love the look of it. I never prewash, I like the look of the quilting with the shinkage. The quilts look more vintage to me when done that way.
    Lucky baby, nice colors.

It is really cute it will be a lucky baby to get it just the perfect size for a drag along you don't want them to big anyway the colors are really pretty I have not used warm and white is that the same as warm and natural there is a little shrinking with that but I don't think it was that much It does give it that antique look

Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    Is this flannel? I think is is more the fabric than the batting. The fabric now days comes from every where in the world. So washing is a good rule before cutting. Fannel I wash several time.
    Not flannel and definitely not the fabric. All the fabrics were prewashed and these were leftover blocks from another big quilt I made, that had different batting (poly) and did not shrink. It's definitely the batting, which is why the fabric is crinkled. If the fabric had shrunk, there wouldn't be wrinkles. I agree that it's time to start asking the company some questions, esp. since the box said to expect 3% shrinkage, and the paper instructions inside said to expect NO shrinkage.

I LIKE the look, just don't want to have to lose 10% of my quilts to shrinkage. That's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
    Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Another thought - was it 31" before you did the quilting or after? The quilting will also make a quilt shrink. I just did one that started at 51x66 and ended at 49x64.
    I've discovered the same thing! If you think about the sheer logistics of what quilting does to the fabric by pulling it down and puffing it up, it makes sense.
    I measured to see how much binding to cut-- once all the quilting was done. It was 31" square before washing, 28.5" after.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I always use the regular warm and natural..I don't think I've had that much shrinkage...The quilt looks great..I personally love the crinkle look..You did a great job...I will check the measurements closely next time I make a quilt...

Do not wash the batting. A customer read on some quilting board that she was supposed to wash her batting. She brought it in to show me. It looked like something you would use to make spider webs for Halloween after washing. She had to buy new batting. So I never recommend washing batting.

I love the way it looks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast