Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: I'm In Shock...

Its a darling little quilt anyway.

I had the same thing happen We used a white cotton bed sheet for baby shower guest to draw/write messages to the First grand son the sheet was washed and dried many many times.This was disheartening for me but the New Mommy to be was thrilled with it.But I will not waste my money on that stuff again

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I experienced that recently too --- almost 10%! It turned my king sized top into a queen size! I wasn't happy at all, BUT..... the finished quilt was absolutely gorgeous. I purchased the top from a friend who had pieced it out of "thrifty" fabrics that were not pre-washed, and I also used Warm and Natural batting. I was thinking that it came from her not pre-washing the fabrics, because I use W&N almost exclusively, and have never had this kind of shrinkage before. I'd be willing to add extra borders to future quilts if you think this may occur again, but in my opinion the W&N batting is wonderful over the long term. BTW, your quilt looks wonderful! :D

Most of the quilts I make are baby quilts that I give away. I asked one neighbor if the quilt was holding up with all the washing, she said it was fine. The rest I never find out anything.I always wash all my fabrics before using them on any projects.

I really like the crackel look. Pretty quilt.

Blog Entries
    I like the crinkled look. It looks homey! I prewash the fabric but when I wash the quilt when finished I wash on cold water setting.

Blog Entries
    I have only used Warm & Natural and recently Warm and White. I have always pre-washed my fabric, except the flannel, and I have never had it shrink very much. I wash in warm (luke warm, as the hot water heater is on low) and dry on normal. Anyways, I love the quilt. What a wonderful idea!

Cancice, yes that was my thought to if the fabric was not pre washed... and both shrinking made it shrink more , but I love the shrinking....
    connief

I have used Warm and White many times and have never had a shrinkage issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sharoney
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsbuying
    I love your quilt. I always use Warm & Natural and love it. I always wash my fabric prior to cutting and never wash my batting prior to quilting. I like to look after washing. Sorry you are disappointed.
    what she said
    What they said! And I think your little quilt is lovely :thumbup:

I use warm and natural batting from Joann Fabrics. I've been told to pre-shrink the batting by putting it in the dryer with a wet bath towel. This also takes out the wrinkles.

I think it turned out beautiful and I love the look! I'm sure the baby will have this as their favorite blankie!

I LOVE the look of it! It looks so cuddly! But I would keep the shrinkage feature in mind for the future, and make the quilts a bit larger than you really want.

I really like the look and colours. Shame it is smaller than you anticipated but I certainly feel it is still very sweet. I do all my quilt washing in cold water and prewash my fabrics.

You should not be so shocked at the result( after view-not the shrinkage) it is still a very pretty quilt and if I were the one getting it as a gift I would be overjoyed. The colors really go together well. Also I agree this shows your beautiful quilting. So good things have come fromthis, like I have seen where someone washed her batting. I never have . We learn from these things. So smile and maybe try a different batt next time. We have all had things go wrong. But I would not change anything here. Marvel

Blog Entries
    I always soak the batting in warm water in my washing machine, spin it to get most of the water out, and then dry in dryer. It doesn't ruin the batting - I do this with both Hobbs 80/20 and Warm & Natural. I don't want shrinking AFTER I quilt. I also prewash all fabrics to be sure the dyes are set, and the fabrics are shrunk as much as possible. I don't like surprises when my quilts are finished - learned from sad experience!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    Is this flannel? I think is is more the fabric than the batting. The fabric now days comes from every where in the world. So washing is a good rule before cutting. Fannel I wash several time.
    Why wash it several times? Will it shrink more each time?
    Yes! Just like denim, flannel continues to shrink. So do some cottons.

I love your quilt, sorry to hear it shrunk

I did not read all the answers, but when I wash a quilt I thought it was the thread that shrunk!! That because the fabric all clumps up and where I quilted pretty heavy there is squished up in between the stitches!

I like the way your quilt looks! And I am not very concerned at the end size of what I make (unless I have to wear it)! :roll:

Blog Entries
    Would be wonderful for a premie quilt. just the right size so sorry that it shrunk. It was darling tho.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4