Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

Blog Entries
    You're not running out of time. This is the best time and it's only going to get better. I did my first quilt in 2000 (small wall hanging) at 54, then I did 2 lap quilts for my grandkids, then nothing. Work was hard 12 hour days, lots of overtime.

I tried classes and something always happened, they got cancelled or I couldn't go, multiple reasons.

Then I got sick. Had to quit work. Had to sell our home and move. What a blessing.

The small town we moved to when I was 61 turned out to be great we have a local quilt instructor. have a group of local women who do "Quilts of Valor" and I'm having a ball.

It really is better as you get older. And you have lots of quilts to do and more time than you think .

Relax and enjoy what you are doing. I feel like there is never enough time, but make what you enjoy, not what people want. That way you will at least be able to enjoy quilting

Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
    I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
    Is that silly or what?? LOL
    You are so much further along than I am! LOL

Be careful not to make it feel like work, we want it to stay fun.

Don't put such pressure on yourself. Just enjoy and keep working. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    I can understand your feelings. I just started quilting about a year ago. I am 68. I'm not going to stress over everyone who wants a quilt. I will get to it when I get to it. Right now I am making cell phone pouches for each family member who has a phone and wants one. I can do one of those in one day and they turn out great, if I do say so myself. When I get the third one done I will post pictures.
    Could you do a tutorial on this so we can see how to make them?

Blog Entries
    it goes faster with more experience. hang in there

I can relate!! I started quilting just about the same time you did, and about the same age!! I turn 60 (gulp!!) next month! I have never had so much FUN!!!! Quilting has given me a new spark in my creativity. :-P

Enjoy every moment of it and not everyone will get a quilt, but that's ok. The joy comes in loving what you do and having fun at it. I try (not always successfully lol) to stress about only what I can change. If your can't change it, let it go and enjoy the ride. :D

I am so thankful that your family appreciates the quilts you are making! I have several that could care less about this art! I want to make them quilts anyway hoping they will be interested someday, but they are way down the list! Enjoy the process! This is really your hobby - not a marathon!

I'm in the same boat (except I'm older than you)! One thing that's helped me is I found wonderful kits for an inexpensive price at www.fabriccafe.com (I have no affiliation with them, just love their site). They sell 3 yd kits with patterns for around $25, but I usually get them on sale. They are usually around 48x54" or so which makes a nice size to throw over the back of the couch and grab as a lap quilt when you're chilled. I gave one to my massage therapist and my dog's groomers (all men!) for Christmas and they're still talking about those quilts! My DD got one for her birthday (snowmen which she collects) and I have another promised to her for next Christmas. As a beginning quilter I have invested in fabrics and kits for bigger projects, but I'm waiting until I'm a little more experienced to start those.

Blog Entries
    I have been quilting for many years and still do not get all done that I want to so just enjoy the process of what you do get done and do not worry about what you cannot get done. That would just take all the fun out of it.

Exactly how I felt, but one at a time in your order, in between we always have a baby one or two... when you get to it.... Do you hand quilt? Love it.. :P

I just got started in quilting 6 weeks ago and have completed 2 lap quilts and working on my 3rd. I am 65, my wife has quilted for years, but I stuck with mostly "manly" hobbies, woodworking, cars, etc.

Luckily curiosity got me into quilting. My wife brought home a used older Baby Lock embroidery machine a few months ago. It sat around and she was not using it. I was interested in seeing how it worked so I started playing around with it. Found it to be a lot of fun, but quite limited in function so I went up and traded it for a Brother PE780D, what a great machine.

I made several Disney blocks for my wife to use in a quilt, but she was busy on another project at the time so I decided to try making a quilt by myself. She let me use her 40+ year old Singer portable to start. That was tough to use so I went up and bought myself a new Brother Run Way machine, and off I went to make my first quilt. What a ball, cutting, fitting and piecing, sort of like woodworking.

Sure wish I had discovered quilting earlier. It is something my wife and I enjoy doing together. Also fun going shopping for fabric and supplies together. We live near Lancaster, PA and there are a lot of Amish shops with some great prices on fabrics.

Not sure what I am going to do with all the quilts, no grand children, they are just stacked in a pile for now, may donate them to some local charities.

Hope you all enjoy quilting as much as I have come to enjoy it. Wish I would have discovered it earlier in life.

Also, it is great that this is one of my hobbies that my wife also enjoys. I don't make messes in the garage quilting.

Well, if you are willing to let someone else do the actual quilting (which takes care of sandwiching, pinning, and hand quilting or tying), you can make A LOT of quilts. Depending on your pattern, of course, but with a Disappearing Nine Patch type pattern, a large quilt top can be assembled in a couple of days--when you retire you will have all day to quilt and your production will increase dramatically.
    Happy Quilting. :>

Feeling like you are running out of time is not silly at all. I have the same thoughts. Wish I had started quilting at 35 instead of 55.

You know what? None of us ever knows how much time we have left to quilt--or do anything else for that matter. Just enjoy the process, do the best you can and don't stress yourself out with a self-imposed quota. Your family will love your quilts, however many you make. God bless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    If you haven't done a disappearing 9 patch d9p on here experiment a bit with it. I've been trying different colors, different turns after I cut them, things like that. It's fast and you can make a beautiful quilt with it. Search d9p if you're not familiar with it.
    Wow, I found a link for that here:

http://paulalynnsbin.blogspot.com/20...patch-d9p.html

That's pretty cool, thanks for the idea!

In olden days, women would have several projects going at once. One piecing, one cutting, one quilting, etc.

Blog Entries
    I can relate. I am resolved to know that being without a job after 26 years is my new normal. It has been hard changing our daily lives, but I feel more strongly about how much I missed all those years not doing what I really love to do (sewing, painting, crocheting, etc). And now I have all the time in the world and a very supportive dedicated DH who allows me to do it. When friends and relatives become ill or pass, it makes me realize how many years I amy or may not have left to get all this stuff done. We all have our stories, and it has taken me almost 2 years to realize that I cant dwell on what wasnt, but will be! Enjoy what you have and what you still can do. Before you know it, you will have satisfied yourself and those around you by getting all those projects done. Do it for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
    I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
    Is that silly or what?? LOL
    Darling Susan, I started when I was 57 and I'm now 70 and I feel like I have so much left to do. The UFOs keep piling up, the fabric is still piling u, the patterns I want to do are piling up, yatayatayata. It never ends. I've come to the conclusion that I will take each day as it comes and enjoy the moment (and just hope that I "finish" the UFOs before I can't do it anymore. And if I don't, I pray that my children will put them in the hands of someone who can finish the job. :lol: I still have not made one quilt for our bed. I bought the fabric and used it all for something else. And that too goes on, and on, and on.

You're not alone. One thing great is that I can share this with the awesome people on this board. My friends and family think I'm a bit strange.

Blog Entries
    I am 69 and 10/12's and I just started 2 years ago, after I retired. I know just how you feel. I have so many projects started I am going crazy ---now my cousin "arthritis" is visiting my hands and I am in a hurry hurry hurry to finish and make sure everyone gets a quilt. It seems I am doing more charity quilts than family....DH said sometimes charity begins at home (he wants a tee shirt quilt)!;>)

I worked on one top that took 18 months to finish - all hand appliqued and hand quilted. The next top I had finished in a weekend (Irish chain Quilt in a day) but I prefer to hand quilt - so that will take a month or 2 to complete.

I agree with the ladies here - choose projects that appeal to you (the ones that piece easily are my favorites!) and colors you enjoy working with. You need a sense of enjoyment while you quilt - otherwise it just becomes an obligation to someone and another deadline to meet. You have to enjoy the journey - not just the destination!

I'm in my mid 40's and started quilting when I was 26. I had to stop for a decade while the kids took all my spare time. I envy the retired ladies at our guild!

Happy Quilting!

I'm 65, just started making my first bed quilt last year, have a list of want to do's a mile long, patterns out the gazoo and enjoy the fact that my mind is so busy and have something to look forward to, the time element I don't worry about, if I should pass, It will no longer be my problem. lol

At 57 you are a young "whipper-snapper". No one, I repeat, no one, will be able to complete all the quilts on their wish list. Nor will they ever deplete their fabric supply in their lifetime.

Relax and enjoy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast