Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

Blog Entries
    Well, you are 2 years ahead of me!! :)

I'm just learning to quilt at 70!!!! And I have 365 days every year....That IS a lot of time....You have lots of quilting in your future!!!! (((Hugs))))

I had to lauagh when I read your message. I feel exactly the same way. After reading the responses that have been posted, I feel much better knowing I have so much company. I started quilting at 63 &have been obsessed with it ever since. I can hardly wait to get to the next one. I have make quilts of all sizes, table runners and toppers,and a couple bags and pillow cases. Bargello, machine piecing and quilting. I am a member of a Bee and a Guild.

I really appreciate the advice to ENJOY each project. Isn't that the purpose after all?

You are young! This past fall, at age 75 I started quilting. So far, I've made 5 quilts and each was very different. I am working on free-motion quilting and getting better with each practice. I hope to be quilting for many more years. I want to someday get around to making a quilt for myself.

Oy my gosh. I'm 56 and I don't feel i have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel yet! I learned to quilt in 2008 and my family is smaller. Still, each one has a quilt already and now i'm running out of people to sew for. I'm working on "fringe" friends and relatives now. You still have decades of life left. Plenty of time. Don't sweat it--just have fun.

Blog Entries
    I quilt with an 82 year old and she hasn't slowed down a bit. Even having a heart attack at the shop didn't stop her. A couple of weeks later she was back at it again. So keep on keeping on!!!!!!

LOL,, I would suggest making the tops and sending them out to be quilted. That's what I do now and I get many more out that way!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
    I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
    Is that silly or what?? LOL
    I feel the same way. :-)

susanwilley I feel the same way. I started I think early of last year and I am 65 and sometimes I come back here too try too make another square and my heart gets too flopping around and I tell myself you will never get the first quilt top done in time for anyone. But I might cause even though I have a bad heart other parts of me are bad, I ain't gonna leave this old world till the GOOD LORD gets ready for me. I just get confused on how to do things and then I quit/

Clem55 in your avatar you certainly don't look like 72. You go girl!!!

Not funny at all ..... I'm am right there with you! ... Hand quilting is what I have been doing for the last few years, and the out-put is minimal .... I KNOW machine quilting would be faster, but somehow or other I have not been able to just jump right in on that yet .... my machine is old and reliable, but the "old" is the better part of that combo :-)

Keep at it .... I think slow-and-steady will win out in the long run.

Your comment made me laugh, I am 70 and have been quilting less than a year, I have to work it in to my schedule of tournament golf, and ladies league, of which I am a board member and treasurer, water aerobics at the Y, gardening, walking 2+ miles a day,with my dog, gourmet cooking, taking care of my husband, who has some health problems,keeping up with grandkids, and really feeling like I am only 40 on the inside, ( never quite sure why my mothers face keeps showing up in my mirror) anyway, enjoy each day to the fullest, and don't fret about tomorrow, no one knows how many of them there will be. Rita

I feel that way sometimes. There sre so many patterns I want to try and I am always drawing out ideas. I really enjoy creating something special for those I love. I work full time so I have limited time in the evening to quilt...

If you look at the whole stack of quilts you want to make it probably looks overwhelming, however, it's like eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time.
    If I feel pressure to get a quilt done I don't enjoy it nearly as well. I try to keep one quilt done as an extra so if a request comes up I can give that one and keep working at the pace I want.

Take your time, maybe find an easier pattern and enjoy yourself. A quilt takes time ... enjoy the process.

Keep sewing and don't think about how old you are, have fun. I am 76 and started when I was 62, I love it and it keeps me young.

Don't get discouraged at 57. I am 78 and still going!

Vat
    You know , none of us are promised the next breath but I am 62 and don't feel like I am running out of time. You might have more time if you send your tops out to be quilted and you do everything else.

LOL join the club !! Just enjoy the journey

[i] If you are silly, then we all are.

If you are silly, then we all are. I think quilting is the greatest calming thing I can do. I believe that the reason God gave us eternity is so that when life is perfect, we can do what we love as much as we want. Wouldn't that be HEAVEN????? You'll have plenty of time to quilt :) :) and just THINK of the guilds we will have then :) plus we will all know each other then and talk about all the friendships we made on this wonderful forum.

keolika: You have a busy schedule there!! I used too run all the time with ballgames, fishing and hunting and GPSing. I don't feel old inside but my body can't keep up with how I feel on the inside and my brain just don't function enough too understand or remember. Now you know I hate that I am admittig that my mind don't work right. BUT if I ever sit down to sew or just be here reading and typing, I get a hundred phone calls or 50 people knocking on the door and at night hubby keeps tv so loud that I can't remember what I am reading even though we are in two separate rooms. I hope you keep up with all the golfing and things you do and be here 100 years or more. Then I get to talk too you sometimes!!! On the news today they had a lady that just turned 119 years old. Now that is good!!!

Blog Entries
    You're funny. I have a 94 yo client and she told me she is running out of time and yet she keeps cranking out quilts.

I felt the same way when I started quilting. I wondered why did it take me so long to get going.

whre do you find dq9?

where do you find d9p? It sounds like something I'd like to try.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast