Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

I've been sewing since I was 8 years old, and quilting for the past 25 years or so (age 64). I don't worry so much about getting quilts done for everybody.... I make what I like and when I'm gone....hopefully many years away..... they will lay all my quilts out and pick which ones they want, taking turns one at a time. We've already discussed this and even though it upsets my only daughter to think about me passing, I know they'll enjoy the work I left behind.
    I just hope I can finish a few of the ones I have half done..... or they're going to have one big job figuring out what to do with all the stuff that's left. Ha Ha Ha ... I want to watch that sight from up above.

Blog Entries
    Just worry about one quilt @ a time. I am trying to make quilts for all our nieces and nephews (19) in between all my other quilting projects so I hope I live long enough to complete them all. I might start sending them to a LAQ for the quilting. That should save some time. :thumbup:

It's just like eating an elephant. "Take one bite at a time"
    Life isn't a race, it's a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
    I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
    Is that silly or what?? LOL

i started 20 years ago and still feel that way! and, I'd wanted to quilt since the age of 7 and mom said no, what if you waste fabric? so, fast forward 30 years, I started quilting and after quilt #2, turned my mom onto quilting. She asked about a year after, why did we wait so long? We laughed about that for many years

I'm 72 and the list of quilts I want to make just keeps getting longer and longer, doubt that I will ever get them all done but then I dont worry about it. Sewing relaxes me so I spend a lot of time in my sewing room, will get more sewing done when my DH and get back out to play golf lol

Blog Entries
    So, where did you get the pattern? Thanks, Libber

Thanks so mush everyone! I do feel more relaxed.

Hey I started quilting in 04 - I know how you feel. Just let the joy of quilting make you happy. I know it's hard because when I started I was totally overwhelmed - now I take my time and totally enjoy it - it will come to you too. Enjoy life! :-)

I started quilting at the same age you did. I am now 67. I have made a quilt for each one of my children (5), each of my grandkids (10), my great grandson, both of my sisters, my wonderful husband, and lots of baby quilts for anybody that I hear is having a baby.
    You've got plenty of time. Don't sweat it though or it makes it not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool
    Hey I started quilting in 04 - I know how you feel. Just let the joy of quilting make you happy. I know it's hard because when I started I was totally overwhelmed - now I take my time and totally enjoy it - it will come to you too. Enjoy life! :-)
    Thanks stchen! I do enjoy making quilts, so it should be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by juliea9967
    I started quilting at the same age you did. I am now 67. I have made a quilt for each one of my children (5), each of my grandkids (10), my great grandson, both of my sisters, my wonderful husband, and lots of baby quilts for anybody that I hear is having a baby.
    You've got plenty of time. Don't sweat it though or it makes it not fun.
    Wow! That is alot of quilts. Thanks juliea! You have inspired me. I know I can do this!

In my book, you're just a baby! You've got lots of time. There are some speedy techniques you can learn to speed things along. Just wait 'til you're my age! Had busy, busy career, while, all the time, collecting fabrics....Just have fun!

When I get my squares made how do I put them together without butting them up each other. I want too use red beween the blocks. Thanks for any help

I sure am glad I'm not the only one who feels like I can't get enough time. I'm 64 soon to be 65 and life just seems to be slipping away. I used to do so much and just can't seem to keep up now. So your not alone join the wonderful senior quilter's good theirs more than one person.

I use strips between, called sashing, between the blocks. I use about 2 1/2 strips or 3 wide.

Do you cut each strip the length of each of your squares and when you do that just sew all the squares together? Thanks for your help!!!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Take it one quilt at a time and one day you will look up and everyone in your family will have one and you will find you have time to spare to make more. God Bless.

You add the sashing between the squares the lengh of the sqaures one way,( use the across sqaayares ibe way) after you press the squares, measure and make one long sashing to connect the other direction. It helps to measure three times and get the average so they are sqaured up. Hope that helps

If you can understand the directions you are doing great because my typing stinks. LOL

Just take one day one quilt at a time. The one I made my second daughter when she was about 12, (now 26)was very well loved and washed. She gave it back to me a couple months ago and asked that I patch a few places before it wears out completly. Sorry to say, my first daughter's quilt has never been finished. She outgrew the color scheme. I think I will finish it and she can just live with a pink and black rose quilt. The trouble with making baby quilts is everyone in the family expects one. So make your own grandkids one first. Tell others that they will have to wait. People don't relize how much time quilting takes and think you can just whip one up anytime. I am 56 and hopefully will live to be 100 as long as I can keep quilting. Work gets in the way!

Thanks everyone! I am finishing my son's quilt and about to start another. It's a good thing I enjoy this so much, it is going to take a while. I do love quilting and I love that my family wants something that I made myself. That helps alot, the best motivator!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5