Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inexpensive Holiday Gifting for Quilters? >

Inexpensive Holiday Gifting for Quilters?

Inexpensive Holiday Gifting for Quilters?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Default Inexpensive Holiday Gifting for Quilters?

Going to several upcoming Holiday events and want to give something to folks. Anyone have ideas for cute/clever and inexpensive trinkets to give your quilting buddies?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:16 PM

In the past I've made tissue holders, I've decorated a glass t-lite holder with yo yo's, a scissor holder made out of a pot holder and a stiletto. This year I'm making lanyards.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Wasn't sure what a lanyard was so I looked it up. Ok. That's what it is those strips around the neck for things easily misplaced. Great idea.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Connecting Threads had a great clearance sale on rhinestone lanyards of different colors this summer so I stocked up plenty for small gifts. I made a simple small stocking and put one in each. My sewing group friends that I spend a lot of time with I made small stockings and put Pigma Pen sets in each one. My best quilting friends I bought each the large Fiskar's Hex punch, a book of pretty scrapbooking card stock, four mini charm packs, a hole punch, and a package of milliner's needles also bought with coupons over the year. I bought pretty Christmas boxes to put the hexie kit in. It didn't cost hardly anything because all year I used my JoAnn coupons to get the punches. Found the mini charm packs on a flash sale for .59 each. Hole punch is cheap at Walmart. The scrapbooking papers and pretty box were on clearance last year after Christmas. I always stock up on the Christmas boxes there after Christmas. Whew, sounds like a lot but didn't cost me much out of pocket to get the items and save them over the year. For last minute no time to shop gift I put a package of sewing machine needles in a nice card.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
Going to several upcoming Holiday events and want to give something to folks. Anyone have ideas for cute/clever and inexpensive trinkets to give your quilting buddies?
Everyone I know already has all the "cute" stuff I've made.
tissue holders
mug rugs
pot holders
casserole carriers
table toppers
more mug rugs
Old 12-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Lots of good ideas here.
One of the best gifts I've received and gifted is postit pads in a little bag, adding a pen and bow makes it even better. Another idea is poem with attachments - snowman poop or reindeer food. I saw another idea just today is Christmas coal made from rice krispies, like rice krispie treats .... it also has a poem that goes with it.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
My friend gave me little fold able scissors from the dollar store. They are the best!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:09 PM

If you happen to be ordering from Connecting Threads....those little purple snips they sell are AWESOME and not very expensive if shipping is already covered. I think I have about 5 pair now and I want at least that many more - I want one pair to stay with each sewing machine, plus one for my car, one for my purse, one for my cutting table... I'm seriously in love with those little purple scissors!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Pins. everyone needs pins and we all loose them over the year. You can give new sharp pins in nice boxes.
Small snippet scissors are a great deal too. If you want to get creative, get some fat 1/4's and a pattern for it and put it all together in a nice box. Nice needlecases. I gave one friend a nice wooden iron for paper piecing and the handle was a needlekeeper. got that on etsy for a good price. wooden seamripper handles. got a few from someone here and just had to put the seamripper in the handle.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

​Personalized scissor fobs?