Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International Quilt Festival - Cincinnati

International Quilt Festival - Cincinnati

Next week, the International Quilt Festival will be here in my hometown of Cincinnati. Since I'm a new(er) quilter, I haven't been to anything like this before, but I'm really looking forward to it! Any words of wisdom about what to expect, or what to look for? Or what to avoid??

Good walking shoes and lots of money! Enjoy! Wish I was going, have been before but not in Cincinnati.

Lots of quilt themed exhibits and a wide variety of vendors. Take your time. Take a camera so you can record the quilts you enjoy if they allow photos.

Enjoy!!! I always went when it was here in Chicago, and I really miss it. Make sure that you wear comfy shoes. Bring a bag to carry your treasures and bring with a few return address stickers. There are a lot of places that have drawings and this will save you lots of time.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Enjoy, enjoy!
    Mazda

Banned
    pack a lunch and/or something to snack on. The food courts are usually expensive and often long lines.

I prefer not to bring a big purse, but an expandable bag to put my purchases in. I went to this one last year and it was a good show. I'm going again on Friday. The less bulk you have to carry, once it gets crowded (and believe me, it will do that!!), the easier you can get around. There were several choices upstairs for food, but as was said in a previous post, it is expensive and long lines were quite common. Comfortable shoes are a must!
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I went last year and loved it plan on a long day comfortable shoes and clothes don't rush it just relax and enjoy

I was thinking about trying to go...how does it compare to the AQS show in Paducah?
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by fairydawn View Post
    Good walking shoes and lots of money! Enjoy! Wish I was going, have been before but not in Cincinnati.
    I read this one to my husband. I think he may have rolled his eyes. LOL He asked what "a lot" meant. Ha! I'm sure our opinion on that is more than his!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    Enjoy!!! I always went when it was here in Chicago, and I really miss it. Make sure that you wear comfy shoes. Bring a bag to carry your treasures and bring with a few return address stickers. There are a lot of places that have drawings and this will save you lots of time.
    I wish I would've thought of return address stickers for drawings at the Home & Garden show. What a great idea! Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know about the show and have to be in the area next week (daughter is going to NKU this fall)--I will try to rearrange some plans and get there. I haven't been to a big show before, either.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by MamaO2011 View Post
    I read this one to my husband. I think he may have rolled his eyes. LOL He asked what "a lot" meant. Ha! I'm sure our opinion on that is more than his!
    I used to live close to Lost Wages (Las Vegas) and I loved to go play slot machines occasionally. My DH wanted me to do more quilting (I'd done a couple of baby quilts) because "It won't cost as much." I'm still sniggering over that.

I took an expandable bag for smaller purchases and a fanny pack/bag for my $/wallet so I didn't have to dig for my card, cash or phone. I also took a camera and asked if I could take pics at several vender booths. The quilts displayed in the gallery have signs on them if cameras are prohibited. It was a great show last year. I won't be able to go this year. Enjoy!

I went last year and it was great. You get to see the newest items available for quilters, kits, fabrics, you name it! You can test long arm machines. Great idea to bring mailing labels for drawings!

After going to the one in Chicago, GF and I decided backpacks were better than purses. Easier to hang on to while you are carrying all those bags from the vendors! I agree with comfy shoes. Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time. You will want to really take in the various quilting designs and piecing techniques. Think twice about buying gadgets. Ask yourself if you envision making more than one quilt with them.....if so, buy....there are usually great specials. If you don't, walk away....slowly....walk away. You can kill your shopping budget with one or two gadgets that seem like a great idea, but when you get home....you can only envision one project. I bought a gadget on special at a show for $40 once. That was 8 years ago, and it is still in the package.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Lots of people, especially in the market area. Wear comfortable shoes. I went last year & had a good time, but it got crowded fast. The quilts were amazing. Enjoy.
    Cathy S/Willowwind
    Cathy S/Willowwind

I went last year and didn't think it was all that big...It was in Sharonville, is that where it is again? The show in Lebanon at the Historical Society had more vendors....However, thanks for the reminder - I'll probably go.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I have gone when it was in Chicago. We had a plan. Went to the far end of venders and worked our way back to the quilt display. Took one of the books showing layout of floor plan and if we saw something but were not sure if we wanted before seeing what others had we marked the vender in the book so we knew where to go back to. Comfortable shoes and take a break and sit down for a few minutes. Just a few minutes watching a demo gives you more energy to continue on. We would get there when the doors opened and leave when they shut. Sorry it left Chicago. Have a great time.

When it was in Chicago ( still mouring the loss) I always planned on attending for more than one day. There is so much to see both in the exibition area and the vendors, its easy to get overwhelmed. The second day as always to go back to the stuff I could not stop thinking about and makeking sure I really saw it all.
    Its an amazing show , you will see so much.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I went last year and didn't think it was all that big...It was in Sharonville, is that where it is again? The show in Lebanon at the Historical Society had more vendors....However, thanks for the reminder - I'll probably go.
    I don't think it's the same show. The IQS is downtown at the Cincinnati Convention Center.

I haven't been to the Cincinatti, but do go every year to the Houston Show. It takes me 3 days to view the quilts & go see the vendors. I buy the program the first day & view all the quilts that are being shown. Go home that night & mark the location of all the vendors that are a must see for me. Then I start up & down each aisle in a very systematic way, otherwise I miss something or someone every time!

1. Comfortable shoes are a must. I love lightweight thong sandals with a 1" thick rubber/sponge bottom.
    2. Lightweight bags that you can check when full. The Babylock booth had backpack style ones. Tin Lizzie & other long arm or major sewing machine brands give away very lightweight bags. Unfortunately, they can tear up, so don't overload too much. We paid a dollar each to check them in Houston. Well worth the money. The show doesn't allow any roller carts to put larger items in.
    3. Mailing labels, & a purse or backpack that will hold a bottle of water. There are signs that you aren't supposed to bring in any food or drink, but a lot of people do, otherwise you can spend way too much on those things when you could be buying quilty things.

Last year in Houston, there were many booths with jewelry, beading, & rhinestones. Accessorizing the quilts has brought in a lot of new ideas. Have fun!!!!!

My friends & I leave the show exhausted after getting a Starbucks coffee each day & can't wait to get back the next day. When the show is over, I have taken more Advils that I do in a couple of months & start planning the next year's visit. I always run into people I know even though the show is over 300 miles from where I live. But don't count on being able to find your friends unless they have cellphones & even then, there is so much chatter & bustling going on that you can't hear your cell ring unless you have very good hearing or an earbud. Wish I was there to go have some fun with everyone.

Forgot to mention, there were almost 1,000 quilts on show in Houston last year & somewhere around 500 vendors. We saw many nationalities there...Japanese, Austrailians, New Zealanders, Brits, ladies from Argentina. It is truly a world event!
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-08-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Go to big quilt shows alone. No hassle of having to wonder if a companion is hungry, tired, ready to move on, sore feet, and so forth. I may go back and look at one quilt five times and having someone say you want to see it again! Why? just infuriates me.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaO2011 View Post
    I don't think it's the same show. The IQS is downtown at the Cincinnati Convention Center.
    Ironically, I was talking w/ a quilting friend of mine at church this morning and realized that I was thinking of a different show.

So - I still plan on going and thankfully, I'll end up in the right place since I'm coming about an hour away.

Is there onstreet parking near there, or is it just in the garages?
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I went to it once when it was in Chicago, and I've been to Paducah. Loved them both!!

One thing I read recently on the IQS site is that ROLL CARTS ARE NOT ALLOWED!! So don't bring one.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast