Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Introducing Bitsy, my own little Featherweight! >

Introducing Bitsy, my own little Featherweight!

Introducing Bitsy, my own little Featherweight!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
She's finally here, and she's a beauty. She joins her friend Betsy (the vintage Bernina 930) on the sewing desk. I think I have a winning team here!

But I must confess... Bitsy smells... a lot. Like grandma's attic. She's going to the repair shop for a spa treatment, so hopefully that will take care of her, but her case just reeks. Any suggestions??

But smelly or not, she's my baby!!
Know your problem. Mine smelled too. One of our FW experts said the problem was the clue used to attach the paper to the box. His solution was to put a light inside (being careful not to let the bulb touch the sides) and close the lid as best as possible. The smell is caused by algae in the glue and the only thing that will kill it it heat. LOTS of it.

Mine was stored for years till I inherited it. I finally got her all cleaned and some rust removed. Then fixed the loose paper and some dings on the box. Used several applications of ArmorAl spray to give it a coat of wax. A little touch up with a magic marker and she's beautiful.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

Oh you got a smelly one. There is an oil pad in the bottom of the machine. If you replace that it might help allot. I have one smelly one. Also do not put her back in her case. That is probably the source of her stinkiness. She is so cute though!!!!!! Congrats!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
She's finally here, and she's a beauty. She joins her friend Betsy (the vintage Bernina 930) on the sewing desk. I think I have a winning team here!

But I must confess... Bitsy smells... a lot. Like grandma's attic. She's going to the repair shop for a spa treatment, so hopefully that will take care of her, but her case just reeks. Any suggestions??

But smelly or not, she's my baby!!
Congratulations. I remember getting my first Featherweight just 2 days before Christmas. The seller wrapped is so well it was like opening a bunch of Christmas presents. But, boy did it smell!

I have several suggestions, but know this from the start, they may not work. To get the smell out is really difficult, I had to try several different things before the smell dissipated.

One of the main problems is if it was stored in a dank place like in the garage or basement. Then you sort of get a mildew smell. The felt oil catcher on the bottom of the machine also causes the smell. So a large part of the smell will go away once it is changed when you have your machine cleaned. Also, be sure to take anything out of the case that is old and greasy, like the old oil bottle and the lubricant.

But you can try these:

1. Wash out the inside of the case with soap and water. Be sure that your rag is sort of dry wet, not really soggy. You don't want to make the liner peel away from the wooden box. Rinse it and dry it really well.

2. Put it out on a the porch on a dry, hot day, let it sit out for the whole day.

3. If that doesn't work, you can put it in your hot car on a hot day. Drying it in the heat like this helps to dry up the wood if there is some mildew in it.

4. You can put a pound of unused coffee beans in the bottom of the case, close the lid and leave it in there until it smells better. I eventually left the coffee beans in the case and kept the case (without the machine) in my car for several weeks in the summer. It seemed like it finally did the trick.

When the case was in the house I left the lid open so that it wouldn't get smelly again. Now my case is smelling fine. It just takes some patience.

Hopes this helps.

P.S. One more thing, if you live in a humid part of the country, put a jar of that stuff that takes the humidity out of the air.
Thanks for the car suggestion. Very good idea.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

No way you like that smell. It makes me gag and I loose all desire to quilt. LOL

Originally Posted by birdgirl
I love that it has a name. Its funny, but I like that old smell. I have a Necchi Elna that was my Grandma's and it reminds me of her!