Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
iPad and Quilting >

iPad and Quilting

iPad and Quilting

Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove View Post
Curious about the storage size.... iPad2 offers 3 different storage and one w/wifi or w/wifi & 3G... any input on those features? I'm hope'n to get one for birthday/anniversary/xmas gift
I got the ipad with the most storage space - (64, I think) because I knew that I would be wanting to save lots of quilt pictures, grandchildren pictures, etc. I surely did not want to run out of space when for just around $100 I could have about double the space.

I also got the iPad with the 3G which means you can access the Internet from anywhere you have cell phone coverage. You don't need to have WiFi coverage. Someone here said that you don't need 3G because you can get WiFi coverage anywhere. Not sure where that person lives, but I am out in the country with no WiFi anywhere around. Also, we go out camping out in the sticks. I wouldn't be without the 3G.

I love, love, love my I-Pad.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
. Yeah directly from ipad!!!!

I take screenshots of projects that I want to try....lol sometimes sleep with it as I fall asleep reading. Yup it goes everywhere with me. I don't have the 3G version and only have the 1st generation one but love love love it.

You did it! Yay! I don't have the 3G either but I soon love mine!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM

If price is an issue, you may wish to consider a refurbished model ... looks like a full one-year warranty is included. Here is the link: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...cid=AOS-US-KWG .

Here is a link to one of my favorite technology sites that discusses some deals:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20...s/?tag=nl.e796 .

Note: Some of these deals may come and go rather quickly. Cathy
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove View Post
Curious about the storage size.... iPad2 offers 3 different storage and one w/wifi or w/wifi & 3G... any input on those features? I'm hope'n to get one for birthday/anniversary/xmas gift
The storage is the same for both models 16gb, 32gb and 64gb. The wifi and 3G model you'll need to pay either AT&T or verizon for the service and you can use it anywhere where there's no wifi service. I'm home so i use free wifi I have an iPad2 16gb wifi only. I didn't put any music on the ipad because it's on my iPod and that's 600 songs at almost 3gb. So far, i have 39 photos and 27 apps and i have 11.9gb left. Research on apple.com to see how much storage you think you may need.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cjcathyj View Post
If price is an issue, you may wish to consider a refurbished model ... looks like a full one-year warranty is included. Here is the link: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...cid=AOS-US-KWG .

Here is a link to one of my favorite technology sites that discusses some deals:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20...s/?tag=nl.e796 .

Note: Some of these deals may come and go rather quickly. Cathy
I agree, try a refurbished or used one to see if you like it or not without spending full price. I had an iPad 1 traded to me and sold it on eBay a couple months ago to upgrade to the iPad 2. Also, the iPod Touch4 is just as good if you don't mind the smaller screen.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Another option for storing items is to use DropBox, which gives you online storage that you can use both on the iPad or the desktop.

I use my iPad for lots of quilting things - I can save the pdf's and open them to read on the iPad when I'm at the store and need the info such as yardage or a pic of the pattern. I've got a couple of quilting apps, and of course I use it for all the usual things like surfing, email, games (I love Angry Birds!) and making notes to myself wherever I may be. I actually use it during church to look up the Bible passages quickly. I can hear everyone still flipping the paper pages in their Bibles, and I've opened the app, done the bookmark and am quietly sitting there waiting for the rest of the people.

I think I'll make one of those sewing organizers that hang down in front of my sewing machine and make it with a pocket for the iPad so I can play some music. (Good idea if I do say so myself. LOL)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Hey, thanks! Yet another great reason to get an iPad. I'm still saving up!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by shawnan View Post
... I use my iPad for lots of... I actually use it during church to look up the Bible passages quickly. I can hear everyone still flipping the paper pages in their Bibles, and I've opened the app, done the bookmark and am quietly sitting there waiting for the rest of the people.
So, that must mean there are apps for whole Bible versions! Is it easy to also take or make notes while you are viewing a passage and listening to a sermon OR does that get complicated?

I am liking the idea of getting an iPad2 more and more!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nana2Sew View Post
After reading your post........I need/want to buy an iPad!
I was thinking the same thing - my Wish list has gotten longer
Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Thank you Crafty for your help!