Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An issue with irons >

An issue with irons

An issue with irons

Old 07-06-2013, 03:07 AM

I got a Black and Decker iron that I loved the weight/feel etc. It quit working after a month or so. I called the company and they replaced it. All I had to do was cut the plug off the old one and send a copy of my receipt. The new iron came in the mail a week or two later. In the meantime I liked it so well I went and bought another one. Now I have a backup. The customer service was great and I think the iron going on the fritz was a fluke. Only down thing about the iron is that to totally shut it off you have to unplug it otherwise it just goes into a sleep mode where it cools down but doesn't shut off.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Sandy, I think we have the same iron. It's made by Continental and costs about $40 on Amazon. I either use water or spray starch, depending on how stiff I want the fabric. I originally bought it because I was just starting to do fusible applique and always had little spots that weren't fused because of the steam holes. And it gets hot quickly and stays hot as long as it's on.
I recently bought this iron, and love it. Have you ever had the sole plate leave a grayish mark on white fabric? I am now being careful to "press" and not iron my blocks to avoid this...especially with very light fabrics.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 AM

Whenever I'm in a thrift store I look at the irons. Right now I have two old General Electric irons and they work great! I paid $5 for each of them. They have steam, don't shut off, and heat more than the newer models. They also don't spit when the steam is on, though I seldom use steam.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 AM

I've had good and bad luck with regular sized Rowenta irons. The travel iron by Rowenta works like a dream for smaller projects, though. My steam generator was leaking water from the base and it would also splatter. It was sent back to the factory for repairs. It was a few months before I finally got a brand new replacement yesterday. I will be trying it out today. Wish me luck. If it acts up like the first one did, I will NOT buy any more Rowenta irons!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 AM

Default Osilo Pro itouch Iron

I just purchased the Oliso itouch Pro. I hope I don't have any problems with it. I choose this one because of the 1800 Watts and the fact that it don't turn off automatically for 30 minutes. So far I love it, sure do hope I got a good one. Hope the bugs are worked out.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Default Of Irons and such

I have always had good luck with Black and Decker. Other brands, big names, have gone toes up but I learned my lesson, inexpensive, bottom of the line Black and Decker works great for me.
On a more humorus note, back in the day, being so absent minded, I would forget to turn off the iron, a lot. So when going out for the day I would put the iron in the fridge. My son once asked me why I did this and I replied, " there are no outlets in the fridge" . Well it worked, I never burned down the house. Now I have a surge protector to plug in the iron and a lamp. So when I leave the sewing room for the day I turn off the surge protector. How do I know it is off.....cause the lamp is off. I have no fear of Azimers, I have been so absent minded all my life I would probably not notice it. I like to think I am absent minded because I am always thinking deep thoughts...I do like to think that.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 AM

I just have a cheap one - but it has auto turn off - hate that.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Only down thing about the iron is that to totally shut it off you have to unplug it otherwise it just goes into a sleep mode where it cools down but doesn't shut off.
I plug mine into one of those power cords with the shutoff switch - and it is mounted right at the edge of my ironing board so I not only have lots of cord move room, I don't have to reach down to unplug and plug back in - and best I like is I can see in less than an instant if my iron is on or off when I leave the room. I put a nail polish dot by the ON side of the plug and I know in a fraction if it is on or off. It is also handy for me because I tend to have a "favorite" heat setting. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 AM
T.

I have an inexpensive Black & Decker Steam Xpress bought at Target a long time ago, with auto shutoff & I have no problem at all. Mine stays on for a long time. I have this nightmarish thought: one of these days that auto shutoff doesn't work; I'd leave for work, and disaster may happen, like someone had posted a while ago about her house fire
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 AM

I have a Panasonic iron. I've had it for years. It's been bounced off the floor and it still works. From what I've read on this board, you might be better off with a cheaper iron. Some of the very expensive irons leak, a lot. Good Luck!