Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An issue with irons >

An issue with irons

An issue with irons

Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 AM

Thanks to all of you for your input. I wound up buying a Black and Decker at Walmart for $17. It is a steam iron, but I will usually use it dry. It has a 3-way auto shut off system.....if left sole down or on it's side, it shuts off in 30 seconds; if left vertical on it's heal, it shuts of after 8 minutes, much longer than the shark. Now I can sew again!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 PM

If you go into the archives here you'll find we have discussed irons at length. I suggest buying the cheapest iron out there, and get into the habit of unplugging your iron rather than turning it off. My reasoning is you'll always know you have turned off your iron. I always use steam. I use filtered water in my iron. I paid $10 for mine and it is 7 years old.it gets used almost everyday. It's from Walmart. Isn't a popular brand name. The only marking is a small D on the left hand side. It's blue and white.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingSister View Post
I recently bought this iron, and love it. Have you ever had the sole plate leave a grayish mark on white fabric? I am now being careful to "press" and not iron my blocks to avoid this...especially with very light fabrics.
I just finished doing some red, white & blue blocks and didn't have any problem with that. Try cleaning off the sole plate with a used fabric softener sheet. If it will take off fusible, it should take off anything.

Also, I have my sewing machine, iron, lamp and fan all plugged in to a surge protector extension cord, which I plug and unplug every time I sew. I was told by an electrician that even the best surge protectors can get fried, so it is best to unplug anything you don't want hurt. He was talking about refrigerators, microwaves and computers, but my Bernina is more important to me than the microwave and cost a whole lot more, too. I can leave everything turned on instead of having to turn each one on, and by having everything plugged into one outlet, I am assured that when I unplug it, everything is off.

Last edited by mckwilter; 07-08-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
On a more humorus note, back in the day, being so absent minded, I would forget to turn off the iron, a lot. So when going out for the day I would put the iron in the fridge. My son once asked me why I did this and I replied, " there are no outlets in the fridge" . Well it worked, I never burned down the house. Now I have a surge protector to plug in the iron and a lamp. So when I leave the sewing room for the day I turn off the surge protector. How do I know it is off.....cause the lamp is off. I have no fear of Azimers, I have been so absent minded all my life I would probably not notice it. I like to think I am absent minded because I am always thinking deep thoughts...I do like to think that.
Kellen, I had to LOL when I read this. I could just see someone putting the iron in the frig. I've always joked that my family will never know if I get Alzheimer's or not because I'm so absent minded. I do like your "reminders". Thanks for sharing.