Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's Virtual Quilt Day!!  Today - Sunday, April 21, 2013 >

It's Virtual Quilt Day!! Today - Sunday, April 21, 2013

It's Virtual Quilt Day!! Today - Sunday, April 21, 2013

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I used the instructions on this video - http://youtu.be/I_qyb7XxY4k. I followed their directions except for not using 1/2 inch seam allowances. I also marked the fold line on the back by marking a line 7/8 inches from my outermost SID, pressing the fabric, then glue basting it. I then SID to seal up that seam. I am having problems with doing this because I have to leave 1 inch on the top and bottom of the block so I can join the rows. I need to figure out how to do this so it looks good and doesn't leave unstitched regions. See this post for pics and more explanation on the problems I'm talking about. I'm almost to decide that hand stitching the blocks together on the back might be the best way to go, and just SID the rows together.
so, after a lot of thinking on this today, I decided to rip out the SID on the seams where the blocks are joined and hand stitch them together. MUCH happier with the back now. No sloppy blind stitching and now I have nice neat seams. Not stitching in the ditch on the edge of the blocks will make for a more pronounced "puffy border" around each block. Yep, much better.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM

This is gorgeous!
Whew! A long weekend of quilting. I finished making and quilting (stitch in the ditch) all 120 blocks for my log cabin quilt - I'm doing a quilt as you go method. Today, I started piecing them together. I got the first two rows of 10 blocks completed. I'm very happy how it is all going together and especially how it is turning out. The quilt is for my son's bed and he said it is getting very pretty. I love making things for my kids because they love the end results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409399[/ATTACH]

Back of the quilt - each square is a different color. The back will have a pattern - not just be random placement of colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409400[/ATTACH]

Front of a block all SITD!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409401[/ATTACH]
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 AM

Whew! A long weekend of quilting. I finished making and quilting (stitch in the ditch) all 120 blocks for my log cabin quilt - I'm doing a quilt as you go method. Today, I started piecing them together. I got the first two rows of 10 blocks completed. I'm very happy how it is all going together and especially how it is turning out. The quilt is for my son's bed and he said it is getting very pretty. I love making things for my kids because they love the end results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409399[/ATTACH]

Back of the quilt - each square is a different color. The back will have a pattern - not just be random placement of colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409400[/ATTACH]

Front of a block all SITD!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409401[/ATTACH]
Ranchwife, will you PLEASE come to SE Kansas and become my color consultant???? Your fabric choices are stunning, as is everything else about your quilt!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
Ranchwife, will you PLEASE come to SE Kansas and become my color consultant???? Your fabric choices are stunning, as is everything else about your quilt!!!!!!
Awe, thanks! My mother laughs at my fabric collection because all the fabrics match - she says my scrappy quilts look planned. I have a set group of colors that I love and I stick with those for almost every quilt I make. In fact, this quilt is the first quilt I've made that includes blue. My son likes blue, so that is why it is included. I tend to look outside and put fabrics together that match the colors I see on our ranch - tans, golds, browns, sage and olivish greens, reds, blacks, and now dark blues. If I use pink, it is a rosey pink. I also like brownsing Moda's jelly rolls to see color collections. I'm lucky because my LQS arranges fabrics by collection. I go to my favorite collection sections and simply pull fabrics. It took me 30 minutes to choose the 17 fabrics and have them cut for this quilt.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd View Post
I hope to finish the quilting on this one that I am making as a donation quilt for the local zoo for their silent auction fundraiser in October. I got an early start on it just to make sure it would be done in time! Besides that, when I saw the animal fabric (the animal this year is the lion) and the other fabrics that coordinated, it just all came together and seemed right! Enjoy you virtual quilting day and keep on sewing!
Beautiful! I always miss the fun!! Hope everyone got a lot done!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
I agree! It's beautiful!