Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 7700qcp tension issues >

Janome 7700qcp tension issues

Janome 7700qcp tension issues

Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Janome 7700qcp tension issues

Hi ya'll!
I need some help from all you experienced quilters. I bought a janome 7700 just received it and unpacked it last night. In advance read the book (online) watched tons of videos on the machine. So I set her up wound my first bobbin not at all impressed with the bobbin the juki I have is way better at that. Anyway, thread the machine according to the directions and stitch a plain straight stitch. It's making knots on the bottom of the fabric. It's really tight and little small knots. I have changed needles, changed thread, the only decent stitches I can get is to set the needle tension as high as it will go. Isn't this excessive? What am I doing wrong? I am ready to send it back I am so disappointed the juki Hzl 600f is the fanciest machine I ever owned. I was so excited to get this janome with such a huge throat space. I will try and upload a photo not sure how to. I appreciate all the advice!!
elizabeth
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 AM

I just got this machine as well. So far, no problems but I haven't used it much. I joined the Yahoo group for the 7700/8900. There is a lot in info there. Check it out.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Are you sure you threaded it correctly (top and bottom). I would take the manual
and check every step.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Yes I have threaded it and rethreated it. Will try again. Thank you both so much for the reply!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM
mkc

I'm curious what problems you had with the bobbin winding - I've noticed with my Elna 860 (Janome 9900 twin) if the bobbin doesn't wind well (fatter on bottom than top), I get those same tension issues where I need to crank up the top tension to get a decent stitch (and the back looks just like yours if I don't). I haven't figured out what I did wrong in the bobbin winding - if I wind a new one it typically looks much better as does the stitch tension.

I've also found both machines prefer Aurifil (piecing and quilting) and Isacord (quilting) threads to another brand I've tried.

Michelle
Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Check the bobbin again, I also have the 7700 and if the bobbin thread isn't right then my stitches look like yours.
I took a few months to get to know my machine as she can be a bit temperamental, but we get on just fine now
Old 09-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Michelle and Woody
It is winding the bobbins wonky! The bottom is fatter than the tops. In my excitement I did not notice this. Have either of you found a way to correct it? Ooo I will try the thread you have mentioned cannot for the life of me recall the brand I have lol.
Before purchasing this machine I read tons of reviews countless utubes and I didn't realize it was going to be such a tempermental beast lol. Thank you both so very much!
elizabeth
Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 PM

Another question do you have problems with tension while free motion quilting? Specifically bought this machine to quilt on a set of frames with so I am curious.
Elizabeth
Old 09-04-2015, 05:30 PM

I bought my Janome 7700 a couple of months ago and I was getting little loops on the bottom of my work until I adjusted the tension of the top thread. I had to play with it a little to get it right. Also, when I wind a bobbin I guide the thread up and down with my finger to get the bobbin wound more evenly (I have to do this on all my machines) and I make sure the thread is not loose on the bobbin.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:33 PM

That's an awesome idea! Thank you ��