Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 PM

ladies, is this machine really that troublesome? Is it just a learning curve for any long arm? I have worked on a HQ16 and there were none of the problems as with the Artistic. Has there been any progress since 2012 that would make this a good purchase?
Old 06-29-2014, 12:33 PM

I have had my Artistic 18 quilter of a year and have not had any issues. Purchasing a longarm is a personal choice. I do not plan on quilting as a business, so the Artistic 18 is all I need. Although I am checking into the robotic Quilt Motion for my machine. I do not have free motion talent, I took a robotics class from Tin Lizzy in April on their robotic system and loved it. So I am thinking that is my way to go. I am to go look at a system soon and will make up my mind for sure. Good luck with which ever machine you get they all have a learning curve and my learning cure has been user error. I have to step back and think about the issue and how to correct it. I have used cotton thread top and bottom and am now using a prewound bobbin and polyester thread and the tension needed very little adjusting. I have been keeping the machine oiled and clean, paying attention to the bobbin area. Cotton thread was very linty. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:50 PM

I just noticed another reply to this thread. I've had my Artistic 18 for around two years now. After a complete replacement of the wiring harness and several tune ups it seemed to be working right. I just do very basic quilting for myself and charity quilts. I have to admit I am not very good at long arming and do not enjoy it as much as I had hoped. Mostly I think my initial disappointment with all the machine issues really soured me. About two weeks ago the jog switch starting acting up again. My dealer said to bring it in and it might be the jog sensor. WHAT? Wasn't that replaced months ago? It's broken again? I don't know what to think. Am feeling pretty angry right now. I had to really scrimp and save for this purchase. I personally could not recommend this LA. Several friends with Innova really love their LA and never seem to have issues.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 AM

Hi! 3 friends and myself have bought a Janome Artistic 18 Mid Arm.....I assume that is the machine you are speaking of. We are having tension issues too but on the top side of the sandwich....it seems like every time we sit down to work with the machine it has to be adjusted. Is this normal even when you leave the same thread and bobbin in place? We have tried fiddling with the top tension but not the bottom yet.