Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM

YAY! My replacement machine came today. DH helped me get it mounted on the frame. Practiced on some scrap fabric and things are going great. I guess it's time to load a larger scrap and have some really focused practice. I was just so excited that I've got the tension down and the stitches look pretty good! YAY ME!!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM

Spoke too soon. The thread eyelet just broke which means no tension control at all. So bummed, waiting on the dealer to call me back. I'm thinking maybe I wasn't meant to longarm.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:32 PM

No problems or just not using the Artistic 18 since July? I just got mine; not quite set up yet. Does anyone have Artistic 18 with Majestic frame and QBOT? I'm awaiting the x & y axis, wiring harness to upgrade to Artistic 18.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:08 PM

It started intimidating me, but I'm finally feeling more comfortable with it. For the past week, I've been practicing pantographs on an extra wide piece of muslin. After a few more passes across the piece, I may be ready to put a charity quilt on for more practice. It has gotten much better! Mine is the Artistic 18 on the Majestic frame.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM

Christine27 let us know if the DVDs are helpful. I need some tutorials on long arm quilting. I have a Tin Lizzie 18DSL - when it works it is great - but seems to need a lot of tender loving care.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM

I am thinking a buying a Janome Artistic 18. How is everyone making out with their LA quilt machines? I can not find any reviews on any website from happy or unhappy owners. What are the issues if any owners if the Artistic 18 have had. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Donna in DE
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread for a long while! Yes, I think the DVDs did help. I have a few more to watch, but the best help is doing lots of doodling.

Unfortunately, I am still having problems with my machine. It is so fickle. Once again, the store sent someone over because the machine was locked up and wouldn't move, but wouldn't you know, before they got here, the machine started working again! I am starting to look at bigger and more reliable machines for an upgrade.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donna in DE View Post
I am thinking a buying a Janome Artistic 18. How is everyone making out with their LA quilt machines? I can not find any reviews on any website from happy or unhappy owners. What are the issues if any owners if the Artistic 18 have had. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Donna in DE
Hi Donna! I am an unhappy owner. For the amount we spent or for just a little bit more, we could have gotten a MUCH better and more reliable machine from another company. If I get the opportunity, I will buy a bigger machine from a different company. Top of my list is Innova, Nolting, and APQS. Gammils are good according to owners's reviews, but when I tried one, it didn't click with me. All three of the companies I mentioned have excellent reputations for their customer support. While my dealer has tried to be supportive, I get the feeling that the company doesn't care or doesn't understand the importance of good customer support.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I am also thinking of the HQ16 or the Avante. I have not gone in and tried them yet. When the weather is warmer I am taking a day trip to try the HQ. The Artistic 18 is in my area, with good customer service. I will be visiting a owner of the Artistic 18 in the near future to get pros and cons. Maybe by fall I will have made up my mind.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Glad to see this thread is still going. I have a Janome Artistic 18 and have had problems. Right now I believe it is a timing issue, but the dealer is over an hour drive. I will have to call on Monday. When the needle thread goes down it does not pick up the bobbin thread. Isn't that timing? The manual is so lousy that DH and I can't tell what to do. I have quadruple checked everything and am positive nothing happened to cause this.

I really wanted an Innova, but the dealer is 100s of miles away, so DH was leary. My dealer is good, but much more knowledgeable on Janome sewing machines. Feeling out on a limb right now and very frustrated. Thanks for listening.