Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Try a larger needle with a bigger hole, reduces friction. Remember, the thread goes back and forth through the needle about 70 times before it gets to be part of a stitch. Also, try turning the needle eye a wee bit to the left and see if that helps. Look for any burrs on anything the thread goes through...use a flashlight and magnifying glass to really see the entire thread path.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Smile

Hi, I'm new to the board, but I was brought here looking for information on this machine and frame. Is there no owner/operator manual? Ours didn't have one.

We got ours about three months ago and the dealer (Coastal Sew & Vac) and her spouse came to the house and where they helped set it up and gave us a quick tutorial on it. It's been a really good machine for us. I've completed about 30 baby quilts and a dozen bed quilts on it since then with very few breaks and only one instance of eyelashing, so maybe I can offer some help suggestions to the people having problems with theirs.

We started with 30 wt Star thread on top, but recently switched to C&C 30 wt because we can get it significantly cheaper. Haven't had any problems with breakage but have only been using it for two quilts so far. For the bobbin, we started with So-fine #25/3. It's expensive but it's a very fine strong thread and you can load a lot onto a bobbin so you can sew longer between bobbins. We'll probably stick with that, for that reason. I have only had to adjust the tension a couple times when switching battings. We've got a BIG needle on it. It's a Groz-beckert 10 Nm 110/80 and it has never shredded thread, we swapped it out after about 20 baby quilts. This combo has been working great for us.

At one time, I tried to switch to a smaller top thread because we wanted a variegated thread and it eyelashed and broke the thread three or four times before I said ENOUGH! and pulled it off the machine. Went back to the heavier thread and didn't have any problems once we got the tension put back.

I have had a problem recently with the stitch regulator. When I press "jog" it starts slowly stitching instead of jogging once and returning to the UP position, which makes it difficult to start and stop when I just want to pull the bobbin tail up. Still searching the forums for suggestions on that one.

Also there seems to be a spot on the rail where the rail extensions meet and the machine likes to lurch over that spot, but I'm aware of it and just keep a firmer hand on it in that spot.

Peace!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Angry Encoder Problems???

Hi!

I am very new to this board and am happy I found it. I got my Janome 18 on June 5th, 2012. After having to wait for the Grace Pinnacle table brackets for this machine I finally got up and going on June 11th. Well, first off it did not like me using the Bottom Line Thread I had used on my other midarm machine.

Got that problem solved by getting King Tut. Played on a practice quilt. Meanders/ stipple works great. Tried loops and some straight line work, all of this in the CRUISE mode. Then I tried the SPEED mode and it was fast but I did some more really good stipples.

Ok - got really brave and loaded up a california size king quilt. It has 8 inch borders so I stippled all across the top. Looked great. Then I decided to move the handels to the back of the machine and try CHANTILY LACE Panto. As I was walking behind the machine I noticed that the wires from the encoders kept getting caught under the carriage. I moved them so they wouldn't get "run over". So I did like I saw at the Sewing center and just looped them up - they still had plenty of slack - but not dragging on the table. Went to do the second pass of the Panto and when I got to the end - It was only half way there. I had HUGE skips.

I then took the machine to the side of the quilt where I have extra batting and lining and just tried moving the machine side to side. Works great. Tried the front to back movement and dissaster. I tried it in both the CRUISE and SPEED modes and it is bad.

I then checked to make sure that the encoder is actually moving on th track. It is. So I then un-looped the "Y" cable and let them drag and it is better, but still bad. I then called the shop in a pannic and they called me back after 4 hours to say I might need a new "Y" cable.

I also had to pick out the entire row of the PANTO and I am not happy.

SO -- How many others have had problems? What do you do with your dragging wires? Also does it matter if the encoders are on the left or right side of the carriage?

Not a very happy camper and I live over 300 miles away from the Sewing center where I purchased this machine so a trip there is not possible and they will not send me a technician.

Sad and sore fingered!

Bonnie
Old 07-01-2012, 05:10 PM

has anyone who has this machine, not had any trouble with it? I just bought one and this thread has me worried now. thanks, dixieH
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Dixie - I'm worried too. I bought one at the NQA show in Columbus in June and it's scheduled for delivery and set up on July 16. Let me know if you have any problems
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie R View Post
Dixie - I'm worried too. I bought one at the NQA show in Columbus in June and it's scheduled for delivery and set up on July 16. Let me know if you have any problems
I think you will do fine if they are coming to set it up. I live 300 miles away from the place where I purchased it. Everytime I do call they are very helpful and are willing to spend as much time as possible with me, on the phone. I am going to a free training class on July 27th and 28th. I'm flying to Dallas and renting a car and spending 1 night. After that I should be good to go but if there are problems make sure you have a dealer that is willing to help you. TG mine is.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 PM

Ok, now I'm singing the Janome blues. Kevin (dealer) came and set it up this morning. We were going to town on practice muslin. I swear, the only thing I did was unplug it from the wall and into a surge protector. Now the tension has totally gone screwy. So I rethreaded, checked the bobbin, and the needle keeps coming unthreaded. Now, not even that - just a loud hum, won't even do the jog stitch. I'm about ready to cry.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by DixieH View Post
has anyone who has this machine, not had any trouble with it? I just bought one and this thread has me worried now. thanks, dixieH
I have the Artistic 18, and the Quilters Creative Touch. I haven't had any problems with it at all. My dealer is in Mesquite, over an hour away, but they delivered it and set it up...perfection. I am going to a trainig class on the 28th.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM

So, the dealer is going to send me a new machine which I'll now have to mount on the frame. He couldn't walk me through a fix on the phone. So after waiting a month to get the machine, I'll have to wait another week to get one that works. Good things come to those who wait, right?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 PM

So I am glad to say I have not had any trouble( Knock on wood) except due to operator error.I have not had any classes. I hope I am not jinxing myself for tommorrows work. Keeping my fingers crossed. Any of you longarmers mind telling me how you check to see how your stitches on the back look. Thanks in advance. My first quilting pattern is a simple panto, I have not gotten the placement down between rows quite right yet. But it is a learning thing . Thanks, DixieH