Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 AM

I haven't checked the touch pad plug, either. I'll have to try that, j3intampa. Thanks! I left the whole thing unplugged, hoping that would reset any computer glitch inside. We'll see!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:43 AM

i've been trying for about 6 weeks to get this up and running...driving me crazy.

this morning i'm loading material on once again..want to be all ready for the repairman.

i've done 3 queen practice quilts and a baby practice ~ not one is right....
Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 AM

FYI,,,

Thankfully the owner of the sewing store where i purchased my Artistic18 came out to my home to take a look at the machine.

My problems were all caused by the tensions set wrong. He recommends the settings be at 4. He also had to adjust the bobbin.

For threads he recommends RA ~ Robison-Anton 100% cotton 50wt. I've never heard of it before,,,trust me it works in my machine. He also mentioned that the stitching works much better if using batting by warnm & natural (which is what i like)

That weird noise ,while using the encoder mode,,, he didn't feel it was a problem. That i just needed to control my speed ( get into a rhythm ) try not to slow down & speed up. I didn't think i was but i promise to work harder on that.

Now that the tension on my machine is set right the TENSION in me will be much better also. lol

Hope this helps the rest of you. Happy Stitching Ladies!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM

I checked all plugs today and finally called my LQS where we got our Artistic. Their repairman called Janome in New Jersey and they narrowed it down to one of two problems, based on my description. Unfortunately, neither repair can be done at home, so the LQS will call us again next week to arrange for them to pick up the machine and take it into the shop. I am so glad we purchased it from a local business with excellent customer service. The repairman was almost apologetic about having to bring it in, but since they are going to pick it up and we don't have to worry about packing it up or shipping it out, I am not complaining!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 PM

SuzyQ2,

I'm so glad your machine's problems were all easily fixable. Before ours broke down, it seemed that it was really easy to override the encoder and then I would get stitches that were too big, especially whenever I made a sharp change in direction. I was ready to practice going slower and more smoothly when everything came to a halt. I hope everything goes good from here on for you. Before ours died, I was having Soooo much fun!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM

are you able to stitch in the speed mode? i find i do better there.

I bought the machine because of the encoder mode,,but i'm not getting the hang of it easily.

hate to hear you use the word "die" along with your machine, to costly to die!

have you tried to get a house call on your machine? Hope to hear your able to get your "baby" up and running very soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM

PS...forgot to ask you are all the wires in the back (from the encoders) hanging freely? know i don't like the look of that, but the owner told me they have to be left hanging. not tied up to be neat. Just passing it along
Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Well, "die" might be a little harsh. "Sick" or "unwell" might be a more accurate word. All the encoder wires are hanging as they were installed by the LQS's guy. The LQS's boss is coming home from vacation soon, so the repairman was going to schedule a pick-up then. We've only had it a couple of weeks, 3 or 4, I think, so it should still be under any warranties. The LQS was excellent when I had trouble with an embroidery machine I bought last fall, so I'm confident they'll get it fixed. I disappointed only because I was having so much fun practicing before it broke down!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 AM

Thrilled to hear that.

WoW..you had yours installed your so lucky on that aspect..after paying what we did, i was not about to pay to have it installed.

Surely they won't have to keep it long.

Again Good Luck
Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 AM

Wow, have been reading the posts, am really behind you girls! Have been getting used to the machine and how it moves being turned off so I didn't waste alot of fabric, etc. Have loaded a practice top on and getting ready to start on that. Am so sorry to hear of more problems, kinda scary. I wonder why the 'encoder' mode is having so many problems? SuzyQ, so glad you got yours fixed and Christine, really hope the trip to the Doc solves the problems for you. Do any of you have the micro handles and if so, is there a big difference in the handling and the manueverability(?). As I dry run on the practice top I notice it is kinda hard to get the smaller movements in, wondering if the micro handles would help.
SuzyQ, did you find that RA thread anywhere bigger than on a 500yd spool? Did you ask the repairman about your machine not liking the cone thread? I have found quite a big of drag when the thread is pulled off of the spool, wondering if the thread tray needs to be lowered a bit? Thanks and here's to the goal of happy stitching!! Judy